• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMSF mod files
03-03-2008, 02:30 AM,
CMSF mod files
Where do these files go? I look in the CMSF program files there are no BMP files etc so where do I put the new BMP/ wav files etc?
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2008, 04:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2008, 04:57 AM by redbear415 (FGM).)
RE: CMSF mod files
ok bidermann this is from the mod tools readme file

MODS IN ACTION

Now that you've created your mods as .brz file(s), it's time to see them work inside Combat Mission. Here is the easiest way to be sure that your mod files get loading priority over the files that ship standard with Combat Mission.

First, be aware that inside the Data folder, any new sub-directories (folders) that are added also adhere to the same alphanumeric loading priority system as detailed above. With that in mind, go inside the Data folder and create a new folder called "Z". Because "Z" comes after the names of the standard game files ("Version XXX") you are guaranteed that any mods you put into the "Z" folder will be loaded and used by Combat Mission.

Second, note that among the .brz mod files you create and put into this "Z" folder, the alphanumeric rule still applies within that folder. So if you have "MyMod1.brz" and "MyMod2.brz" files both inside the "Z" folder, data from "MyMod2.brz" will take priority over "MyMod1.brz" for any duplicate contents.

You may also place single *non-brz* files into the Data "Z" folder (like individual .WAV or .BMP files). Combat Mission can recognize individual BMP or WAV files even when not packed into a BRZ file. This is not recommended when creating a "mod pack" for use by others because dozens or hundreds of individual files are difficult to manage, but it can be useful while you are creating your mod, and want to test out small edits. Individual files are given loading priority over ALL .brz files regardless of how they are named.

Madmatt's note: What I did for my version of CMSF (which is heavily sound moded) was to create a series of folders called; Version 200, Version 201, Version 203 etc.. in my Data directory. In each of these folders are various moded sound files. I stared with the number 200 because I am pretty sure we are not ever going to have 95 patches for CMSF (200 is 95 higher than the current version 105) so it’s a safe number to begin with. You of course can name your new mod folders however you want as long as the names come alphanumerically AFTER the most recent .brz file listed in the root of Data.

To test this, we have provided a few sample wav files. They represent two different ambient background sounds, one with background artillery and combat noises and one with ambient Syrian environmental sounds. To find them, look inside the "Mod Tools\Sample Files" directory. Inside you will see a folder named "Version 200". Inside that folder are two alternative background sounds. Choose the one you wish to hear in the game, rename it to "background.wav" (without the quotes) and copy and paste the entire Version 200 folder into your Data directory. Now when you play the game, you will hear the new background file that you selected.

hope this help.
03-03-2008, 06:05 AM,
Why is it that every thing about this game is bloody hard work!!!!!!!!!

I keep trying to build some interest in this game, but its such a bloody pain .

naming the folder in the data file as Z dont work. Thanks any way I dont think I will bother life is far to short.
03-05-2008, 06:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM by IRidium.)
, ,
03-05-2008, 06:53 PM,
Bidermann, If you just want to replace or modify separate files - it's much more simple than it looks.

Just explode the .brz file with RezExplode,you'll see folder with image files and .wav like in CMx1, modify it as you want and compact it back to .brz file. That's it!