• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DF'85 Strategy Choices
02-10-2008, 03:02 AM,
DF'85 Strategy Choices
I'm playing DF'85 and being presented with strategy choices that I would really prefer to postpone until the game is farther along. :chin:

I know that if I do make a particular strategy choice, but don't actually deploy the troops, they just go into the reinforcement pool and I can deploy them in their original locations in the future whenever I'm ready for them.

But if I don't want to make a specific choice yet at all, this doesn't seem to happen. What happens if I just cancel the Strategy choice window without choosing a particular strategy? Do I lose those strategies and those troops forever? Or does the strategy choice box continue to show up again on the following turns until you finally do make a choice?
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2008, 04:28 AM,
RE: DF'85 Strategy Choices
you can't delay the choice Tom. Some of tem, like those in the first couple turns happen right away - others have a delay of a few turns on them to represent time to implement the selection.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-10-2008, 09:22 AM,
Thanks , Glenn. I was just hoping to avoid the almost certain destruction of these advance troops until the rest of their army had moved near enough to rescue them. :(
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM,
Sounds like you are refering to the Czech Para unit.Something to consider: Even there destruction serves a purpose as it takes time to eliminate them tieing up part of first GJ. Where you drop is also vital as you can get their Deception units deployed in the vicinity of the Nato Bridge Engineers possibly getting you an intact bridge.
Same for the small Polish unit.It's all about the Red Question Mark.

Kuriltai
02-10-2008, 01:17 PM,
I am not sure which option is giving you a problem, but let me know and we can look at it - at least give you an option to not use them or possibly add a single later option if assured disctruction are the only choices.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-10-2008, 05:36 PM,
Assuming I am right and we are talking about 22nd Czech,I think it would be nice if they had another option on where they are dropped.(There are 2 now,Deggendorf or Regensburg).
Myself,I like the Deggendorf option for the reasons in my post above.The Regiment will get smoked ,but has 3 deception units within range of 3 Danube full hex bridges plus one smaller bridge.
The Regensburg drop is a little safer, I think ,but not so much to gain with only two bridges to interdict.

Then again,there is a good chance I am completely out to Lunch. Big Grin
02-11-2008, 03:34 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:I am not sure which option is giving you a problem, but let me know and we can look at it - at least give you an option to not use them or possibly add a single later option if assured disctruction are the only choices. Glenn

I'm referring to the strategy choices required when opening turn #3 for the WP, scenario #850610_01sa. I don't have any problem with the location choices: Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Ingolstadt, Augsburg, and Heilbron. These are all good locations for a potential airborne assault. My concern is the timing of the drops.

My main army is nowhere near any of these locations, and unless I'm heavily underestimating the strength of the NATO resistance, will not be in time to rescue these troops. They will be easily surrounded and eliminated long before I can get there to link up. Just as the WP troops dropped on turn #1 have nearly all been eliminated already (not without having done some damage, but eliminated nonetheless).

I was hoping that I could delay my choice of strategy until my main force had approached one of the locations to a logical supporting range. Or, in the absence of an ability to choose a desired location, maybe I could go ahead and make that choice, but at least control the timing of the drop until supporting troops approached more closely.

Hey Kevin...I'm referring to the 106th Airborne.
02-11-2008, 06:21 AM,
You can't delay the strategy choice, the choice of drop zone. However, next turn, or maybe within a few turns, the 106th will be added to your reinforcement list. You do not have to deploy these until you are ready.

So you have to choose where they are going now but when they arrive is up to you.

At least the 106th doesn't have any of the "no arrival" options. I lost the 7th LDDM by accidentally clicking on the wrong choice, very annoying. I might make a mod which removes those zero arrival options.
02-11-2008, 06:57 AM,
FLG Wrote:So you have to choose where they are going now but when they arrive is up to you.

Hey, that's great info. That's exactly what I was hoping.

Thanks!