• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

EF II AAR: Ambush Ridge
01-26-2008, 12:33 AM,
EF II AAR: Ambush Ridge
I wrote these long time ago (well, about 6 to 7 years ago) for another club. Let me know if I should post these. Thanks!

Ambush Ridge
By Yong Park

SCENARIO:
Ambush Ridge – Complexity 4

MISSION:
Block 3rd Mechanized Brigade from reaching Tarasovka by deploying 132nd Motorized Grenadier Battalion.

DATE:
25 May, 1943 – 12 turns

FORCES:
132nd Motorized Grenadier Battalion: GrW 34 81 mm Mortars, 2 lelG18 75 mm Inf Guns, 2 PAK 75 mm AT guns, 8 Rifle Platoons, 2 MG Platoons, 3 Engineer Platoons. 1 PAK 88 mm AA Gun and 3 platoons of StuG IIIGs appeared onturn 3 as reinforcements. Two air strikes were allocated. 10 smoke screens were allocate for this scenario.

Enemy forces consisted of 4 T-34 M41 platoons, BA-10 Armor vehicles, many Rifle, SMG, MG, ATR platoons. There also were 3 Engineer platoons and artillery pieces.

CONDITION:
Major Defeat: 50
Minor Defeat: 175
Minor Victory: 225
Major Victory: 350

TERRAIN:
There is a big hill in the middle of the map with two passes, one on north and one on south of a ridge. The ridge in the middle is called Ambush Ridge. As the name suggests, this these passes were good places for setting up ambushes. Tarasovka is located just west of the Ambush Ridge. There are three victory HEXs located in the village. Just north of the village is Bolshaya Woods which covers 1/3 of the hill. One incomplete paved road goes through Tarasovka toward the south valley. Unpaved road continues toward east. Another unpaved road intersects the paved road in Tarasovka. This road goes through the north valley. There is a shallow river called Sarat River. The terrain east of the ridge is mostly flat with many woods scattered throughout. The terrain west of the ridge is also very flat. There is a dense forest SW of the village. The ground is soft with light rain falling.

OPPONENT: Bob Millard

All my units were located west of the village and were mounted on trucks or halftracks. There were many improved HEXs in the village which suggest that this ridge had been fought over before this. I carefully moved my infantry units and AT guns toward Tarasovka. Most of the infantry units were dismounted in the village. Some of the infantry units were sent toward both passes. No enemy contacts were made for 3 turns. 75 mm AT gun, 3 Infantry plt and 1 MG plt were sent to the south valley to take positions in improved HEXs. Later, PAK 88 mm AA gun and 2 platoons of StuG IIIGs were sent to south to reinforce this valley. A MG plt and a infantry plt were used as a scout in the north valley. 75 mm AT gun was placed on the bottom of the ridge. A platoon of StuG IIIG was sent there to reinforce the forces there.

Some enemy rifle platoons introduced themselves on turn 4 and exchanged fires without any damage. It looked as if the enemy was concentrating on the south valley. Some T-34s were moving toward this area as well. Luckily, I sent 2 StuG IIIGs and PAK 88 mm AA gun there. The main battle started on turn 6. The enemy took 50 point HEX in the south valley but took heavy casualty in doing so. I promptly took the HEX back as all of his infantry units were disrupted. I sent another 2 platoons of Engineers toward the south valley.

The enemy decided to attack the north valley in force on turn 7. I looked now as if his south units were diversionary attack. Most of his infantry units were seen here. I redirected 2 engineer platoons to north. By turn 9, he made a serious penetration on the ridge using his engineers. This was a trap I was setting up. I had 4 Rifle Infantry platoons hidden in the woods north of the valley. The enemy’s 3 Engineer platoons were disrupted by Infantry guns and mortar fires and were promptly captured by a Rifle company hiding in the woods. His attack continued using infantry units in the north valley but had no chance of breaking through toward Tarasovka. T-34s appeared in the south valley but were disrupted by 88 mm AA guns. He never threatened to take the complete control of either valley. His repeated infantry assaults were stopped by Mortar and Infantry guns.

RESULTS
Axis Major Victory.
Quote this message in a reply