• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tank Graveyard at Minsk-AAR
02-09-2008, 10:48 AM,
RE: Tank Graveyard at Minsk-AAR
Axis turn 12

Battle HQ N of Minsk:

Interogations of captured Soviets has revealed elements of the 25th & 32nd Tank Br with various support elements facing us. With thick forests limiting LOS strict caution and enhanced scouting and observation are required. Two plts of T34-M41's replaced the earlier T34-M43 plt and these where engaged by several plts of Panthers & Mark IV's. One tank was definitely destroyed with the remainder of that plt being driven off. One plt remains. Will the Soviet commander sacrifice them also? An SMG plt pushed forward onto an area of broken rock outcroppings but where driven back by accurate and heavy fire from several Tigers. Numerous casualties where observed. Elsewhere our units continue to slowly advance towards the Soviet objective of Vyshkove.

Oberst
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2008, 12:50 PM,
Russian Turn 13
Infantry hidden in rough terrain had spotted three Tiger platoons slowly climbing the SW slope. During the last two turns the remaining elements of the 25th and 32nd Tank Battalions maneuvered into position for a possible counterattack back down the hill. 3 Tiger platoons with a leader make for formidable OP fire so it was not until after a few Katyusha strikes in the surrounding woods cleared likely hiding areas for German infantry that two strikes were called in on the tanks themselves. In the unlikely event of a disruption or retreat our armor was ready to swarm.

An SMG platoon was spotted moving into position and was bought under heavy fire from many PZ-IV platoons. The fire was ineffective so the German commander ordered the Tigers up the slope to engage our infantry. The fire from the 88 guns was effective, causing loss of half of the platoon with the rest retreating now an opportunity presented itself.
This engagement caused the Tigers to move away from the Katyusha strike zone but now they would not be able to respond to a counterattack.

I ordered a SMG platoon into woods just west of the road leading up the southern slope. They were able to sneak up on a MG platoon and some PSW 234 armored cars. Accurate submachine gun fire erupted from the woods causing the surprised Germans MG teams to fall back into the trees in disarray.

With the Tigers moving back down the hill our armor moved forward. Initial fire from our T-34's was not so effective but caused a PZ-IV platoon to retreat and finally destroy the German recon. The heavy IS-2 tanks were then called forward and finally accurate gunfire started penetrating the thick armor of the enemy tanks.

I had thought that German infantry was located in the woods just north of the Tigers but unfortunately they were hidden in a gully. Even though their fire was ineffective and did not stop the IS-2's from engaging and destroying Tigers they still needed to be dealt with. A few T-34 platoons needed to engage and disrupt the infantry instead of being able to overrun the Tiger's positions.

The Germans have been bloodied again but far from knocked out. Two Tiger platoons remain undisturbed in Sukovichi along with at least two PZ-IV platoons. Fortunately the other Panther platoon and two other PZ-IVs are at least 2 kilometers away to the west. They will be able to engage my armor on the SW slope but at least they are not on the paved road and close at hand.

[Image: MinskTurn13CounterattackSWslope.jpg]
02-10-2008, 08:32 AM,
Axis turn 13

Chaos at Battle HQ:

Instead of lying back waiting for my assault the Soviets launched another preemptive assault catching my units in the process of rearming & refueling. My aide de camp has suffered a heart attack and my Regimental commander is missing in action. Several Tiger's were lost. Thank God my junior officers are all veterans of EF fighting and we were able to bring calm and restore order and knock out several T34's and pull back beyond the Soviets immediate LOS.

Oberst
02-10-2008, 11:29 AM,
Russian Turn 14
I have ordered an all out attack to take advantage of the disruption we cause last turn. It seems that the Germans have been sending false radio traffic into the clear concerning preparations for an assault. Unfortunately for us most German forces were not massed close to the hill and many powerful panzer platoons are stationed back in the tree line 2 - 3 km to the west.

The first to assault was the brave tankers of 2nd Platoon , 3rd CO, 2/25.
They were able to survive a counter attack by Tigers in the fields west of Sukovichi
[Image: MinskTurn142ndPlt3rdCO225vanguard.jpg]

The assault continues but enough German armor survives to give us a bad knock next turn.
[Image: RussianTurn14.jpg]
02-11-2008, 02:49 AM,
Axis turn 14

Battle HQ N of Minsk:

Miracle at Minsk!!! Soviet forces smelling a possible victory, launched a number of un-reconned attacks just NE of Sukovichi and about 4-5 klics to the E. What they encountered was a foe far from beaing defeated. A PZ IV coy W of Sukovichi provided left flank support and knocked out several T34's that were attempting to outflank the German position. From the paved road, E of Sukovichi, along the lower slopes of Hill 290, several Panthers of 1st Battalion roared forward to the edge of the forest covering and were met with the unbelievable sight of exposed rears of several JS tanks. As quick as the gunners could load the tank gunners targeted and opened fire with the result of several JS tanks exploding. Several other JS units had pushed into Sukovichi and there a Tiger and Panther plt engaged and destroyed several more. The remainder were all disrupted. Now for the coup de gras. Several PzG plts along with 75 mm HT's and a lone Tiger tank rushed forward for the close assault. First the remants of 2 JS plts were pushed into a hex with a disrupted T34 plt & commander. Then they were likewise assualted and eliminated.
To the E, 2 coys of the Panther Battalion along with several Puma scout plts, engaged the strung out and exposed Soviet armored units. The result was a virtual panorama of exploding and burning hulks which represented the unlucky Soviet attack force. Several undisrupted units were also destroyed by close assault.
As a result of these joint actions more than half of the attacking Soviet force have been destroyed. The question now, what will the Soviet commander do now?

Oberst
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM,
The German counterattack was devastating. Last turn I had two choices; either defend the hill top and wait for further reinforcements or go for broke in order to break the stalemate. In the face of devastating losses and at a disadvantage in numbers I ordered the assault to continue thinking that the Motherland could produce T-34s faster than the Fascists could replace Panther and Tiger tanks.

I ordered the two different wings to concentrate south of the hill and attempt to surround the enemy panzers that were taking advantage of the paved road and cover provided by the trees. The enemy was waiting and our initial assault elements had to endure heavy fire. Follow on waves finally were able to engage and around this time help arrived from the opposite direction.

Lot's of confusion and at least 10 destroyed Panthers and 3 PZ-IVs. At least 10 Panthers remain and some infantry......

[Image: MinskTurn15.jpg]
02-13-2008, 11:36 AM,

.jpg   Desperate measures.JPG (Size: 181.08 KB / Downloads: 14)

Axis turn 15:

Battle HQ N of Minsk:

This Soviet commander must either be under tremendous pressure to advance or has been hitting the vodka really heavy. The Soviet attack was launched with near suicidal determination. But my kampfgruppe, situated on the paved road along the lower Southern slopes of Hill 290 also fought back with utter disregard for life. Casualties among the attacking Soviet armored units were heavy but there was always more as they advanced in waves. To the last round my gallant troops fought but for some they paid the ultimate price and layed down their lives for the Fatherland. But finally the Soviet armored onslaught ceased allowing for my forces to mount a crushing counterattack against the Soviet left flank. In a series of armored attacks, a number of Soviet units were left either completely destroyed or immobilized which aided the remainder of my KG who counterattacked completing the destruction of the surrounding Soviet forces. They now had a path to freedom and rejoined my forces defending the area around Sukovichi. The Soviet forces on the right also suffered some losses. Estimates of the remaining Soviet forces I judge to be about 2 coys of T34's with a few misc. supporting units. One more such attack by the Soviets will finish them.

The screen print is of the resulting counterattack against teh Soviet left flank.

Oberst
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM,
Initial reports from the assault had me worried that my entire force was destroyed in the close quarters fight on the paved road. I was surprised that many T-34's survived. The Germans were so busy running for the safety of Sukovichi or back into woods that all tanks that survived the German counter attack were able to retire to safety unmolested.

The picture below shows the situation at the beginning of my turn after I had already moved two T-34 platoons to safety (facing North):

[Image: Russianescape.jpg]

My offensive capability is very limited and I will not risk another assault. We are back to the status quo as the Germans are most probably not in a position (nor; besides their initial probe on the NW slope; have they showed any inclination) to assault our positions on the hill.

I believe the Germans have a significant force in Sukovichi but there are only three moves remaining until night fall and many German units are in defensive positions in the woods.
02-14-2008, 06:59 AM,
Great stuff, really enjoying this especially now the screenshots are included...
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM,
Axis turn 16

Battle HQ Sukovichi:

Surviving Soviet units have finally retreated. Chased one SMG plt away with light arty & tank fire causing a few casualties. Have instructed some units to advance slowly but at present time, after the heavy fighting, we are definitely unable to launch any type of offensive action. For the moment the primary objective of halting the Soviet drive towards Minsk, has been stopped.

Oberst