• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tank Graveyard at Minsk-AAR
01-28-2008, 07:07 AM,
RE: Tank Graveyard at Minsk-AAR
Axis turn 7:
Up to this point lack of recon and miscalculation has cost us serious losses but I have finally been able to regroup and engage the Soviet armored units with adequate numbers and in a series of sharp engagements have inflicted heavy losses to the Soviets. In the latest encounter the Ist Panther Battalion with support from Pumas of our recon coy shot up the assaulting Soviet tanks, destroying 6 T34-M43's and 3 T34-M31's. As such our disrupted Tiger & Panther plts where able to pull back within our lines to be repaired. For the moment the Soviet attack against my right flank has been checkmated. But I expect new attacks against my left to begin shortly. In two turns the Soviets armored forces have suffered losses of about 20 tanks destroyed my Panthers of the Ist Battalion. :kill:

Oberst
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2008, 11:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM by Cole.)
Russian Turn 8:

A turn of consolidation. The attack south was ill advised as the enemy was able to quickly move up support for what we had thought were more or less isolated panzers. We have withdrawn to repair and recover.

The Tiger and Panther platoons to the north have fled towards Maksilpovka. My battalion commander requested permission to finish them off but since they won't be coming back (there is an anti-tank regiment posted just north that should take care of them) I directed them to halt.

The is one of engaging the Germans without another disastrous loss ratio of numerous T-34's for only one or two Tigers or Panthers. Even though the area is heavily wooded the excellent roads provide the Germans with interior lines of communications (as I discovered to great loss last turn) and the clear ground between the woods offer great fields of fire down the only quick lines of approach.

It is a windy day so there is not much opportunity to lay smoke to cover the approach of my remaining armor.
02-04-2008, 05:53 AM,
Axis turn 8:

Battlefront N of Minsk

Initial reports indicate that Soviet armored units have fallen back to the E NE from our present positions confronting the I Panther Battalion. No sign yet of the Soviet units that had been spotted to the N NW. Reinforcements are finally arriving to replace our previous losses and to help strengthen our positions.
Now, to plan our counterattack.

Oberst
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM by Cole.)
Russian Turn 9:

The 2nd/32 Tank Battalion lives to fight another day and is starting to regroup and prepare for new orders.

Our forces on Hill 290 have not spotted any enemy movement but can hear panzers and shouted orders coming from Sukovichi. I believe German scouts and Panzergrenadiers are located on the lower west slope but do not want to expose our forces to the big guns of any Tiger tanks waiting below.
02-05-2008, 11:57 AM,
Axis turn 9:

Battlefront N of Minsk:

Soviet armored forces have been halted in their attempt to seize Minsk and cut vital rail & road communications to the battered remains of Arme Group Centre which have been badly battered during the Russian Summer offensive. HQ needs more time to both pull back those remaining units so thay can be brought back up to stength and to allow the needed reinforcements to arrive and patch up the many gaps which now exist. As such we have been ordered to push forward and engage the remaining Soviet units.
Heil Hitler !

Oberst
02-06-2008, 07:31 AM,
Russian Turn 10
Comrades,

Can you believe that in the middle of a hot engagement Divisional HQ has ordered me to retransmit my contact reports with the proper time group?

A new signalman transmitted all the reports with local instead of Zulu or universal time (actually Gil told me "dude your next turn is 10 not 9" so I had to re-edit my posts).

Units were stationed in Dinarevichi covering our forces that pursued the Tigers and Panthers north of that town (Turn 7). These units had Sukovichi under observation and noticed German infantry and loaded transport moving through the hamlet. A Katyusha strike was called in but not in time to hit exposed infantry. At least the strike greeted two platoons of Tigers that moved into the hamlet to guard the German north flank. Of course the tankers just buttoned up and the tanks were not harmed but I do like to think that the paint job on their tanks is not so pretty anymore....

A second Katyusha strike was targeted onto the west slope in the hopes of disrupting any infantry advance up the hill. The barrage drifted but at least we have put his infantry on notice that they cannot climb the hill unscathed.

Other than that we continue to consolidate and expect the Germans to counterattack soon.
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM,
Axis turn 10

Battle HQ Sukovichi:

Soviet forces observed retreating NW of Sukovichi towards Hill area W of Vyshkove. They had obviously been observing area around Sukovichi and providing info for the Soviet rocket batteries. So far Soviet arty has been sporadic. A Soviet T34 plt near the crest of the Hill, NE of Sukovichi was forced to retreat after coming under fire from one of our Panther plts. Our forces continue to prepare for our counterattack. This will not be easy as we will be advancing up the hill which offers great defensive positions for the Soviet defenders.

Oberst
02-06-2008, 07:14 PM,
Russian Turn 11
Not much that I can report while I'm transmitting in the clear.

An infantry platoon moving into a small copse of woods on the south slope spotted German recon units retreating back into the larger woods on the SW slope.

A T-34 platoon attempted to take spotting positions in woods on top of the hill but were forced to withdraw by accurate German fire.
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM,
Axis turn 11

Having learned from my previous encounters with this new Soviet commander I am going to make sure that the next engagement does not suffer the same results. Still some sporadic enemt rocket fire. Another Soviet T34 plt occupied the crest of the hill but despite numerous attempts from several of our Panzers, were not yet able to drive them off.

Oberst
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM,
Russian Turn 12
The platoon of T-34s I sent to the hilltop are receiving fire from PV-IVs and Panthers as they move towards our lines for an assault.

I have moved an extra platoon to the hilltop to reinforce that position.

Nothing more to report.