• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is this cheating? Creating fake targets for enemy arty?
01-23-2008, 04:55 AM,
RE: Is this cheating? Creating fake targets for enemy arty?
In some cases renaming tanks might be ok, say I have seen late-war pictures of German tanks so heavily camoflaged that from a distance you could not say if it is a haystack or a tank. So IMO renaming a StuH to a StuG would be ok....you would give a kinda goofy impression of yourself by renaming a PzKpfw I to a Kingtiger though :P

Sometimes I have renamed my sniper as a schoolgirl or scouts to boyscouts or tramps ...imagine your opponent watching a replay of his arty firing and seeing that he has killed a schoolgirl Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2008, 06:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2008, 06:19 AM by blazephemik.)
I agree it may be very annoying to check the units with right click, and this is just game. But...

Can you really tell experience level of enemy troops if you observe them with binocular 1500-5000m away, can you precisely tell what is their weapounry etc. I mean in real combat situation.
I´ve played some games of Combat Mission series, and I thought it´s way of presenting units as "infantry?" "medium gun?" "tank?" was better than SP series system of giving exact information about unit with first glimpse.

But no worries, there is no way I´d start renaming my enormous infantry hordes, just voiced my thoughts :soap:

edit: off course I meant only minor renaming, not making PZIV to Kingtiger, more like making StuH to StuG as PzHeinz said, TOW HMMVW to MG HMMVW or infantry to conscripts.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
01-24-2008, 08:18 AM,
Hi Fella's

Heck, some of the fun is renaming things.. and when you play a team game it's imperative to do so..

Sometimes (when I have too much time on my hands) I'll rename individual units: for instance, AT guns might be called :'Thor', 'Mars', etc..

Heavy guns: 'Crusher', 'Lightning', 'Balista'

Tanks might be given names: (just like in real life!!).. 'Thunder', 'Ghost Rider' .. etc

Or sometimes just fun stuff.. 'Mickey', 'Goofy', 'Superman', 'Hulk'.. etc

Or recon teams - 'Seeker'
AT teams 'Bludger'
Security squads 'Keeper'
Elite infantry: 'Trojan'..

You can get pretty creative and still keep the spirit of things..

:)

Greybeard
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM,
You guys have way too much time on your hands if you have the time to rename your units! Big Grin

I agree that the Combat Mission way is superior in that you know there is something out there and that it is a tank or infantry running around, but you don't know exact what or where. This is also an approach that Squad Leader took. Given the age of the Steel Panthers game engine, I doubt you could tweak the program to make this change, but I'll leave it to those who know more about programming to make the definitive statement on this issue.
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM,
Haksaeng Wrote:You guys have way too much time on your hands if you have the time to rename your units! Big Grin

I agree that the Combat Mission way is superior in that you know there is something out there and that it is a tank or infantry running around, but you don't know exact what or where. This is also an approach that Squad Leader took. Given the age of the Steel Panthers game engine, I doubt you could tweak the program to make this change, but I'll leave it to those who know more about programming to make the definitive statement on this issue.

Hi Stan, how's things, a long time since we had a game!!

I think renaming is legit and can be fun as Steve says - I like it when Wulfir renames his company commanders "Kp" (as least I think he does, maybe it's a bluff :) )

I've often thought the ability to click on a unit and see it's armament is too revealling, eg having a look at scouts to see if they carry RPG-7's before deciding how much to move your AFVs up to tackle them........

Alex
brm_3k
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM,
Hey Alex! How goes it?

If you are have the time, are you interested in trying out your deception skills on me again?
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM,
PzHeinZ Wrote:In some cases renaming tanks might be ok, say I have seen late-war pictures of German tanks so heavily camoflaged that from a distance you could not say if it is a haystack or a tank. So IMO renaming a StuH to a StuG would be ok....you would give a kinda goofy impression of yourself by renaming a PzKpfw I to a Kingtiger though :P

Sometimes I have renamed my sniper as a schoolgirl or scouts to boyscouts or tramps ...imagine your opponent watching a replay of his arty firing and seeing that he has killed a schoolgirl Big Grin

hehe...years ago I renamed often my scouts as : "mushroom picker" "civil tourist" "civil passer" "civilian" etc. but mostly my opponents had not enough sense of humor and commited a war crimeCry
Big Grin
02-02-2008, 08:36 PM,
Good day Gentleman. One of the reasons I like to rename some of my units, especially infantry units. The units who recieve changes are ussually units with casulties as well as units who's units changes such as ATGM's hand grenades or hand held weaponns, RPG'7. Thankscheers
02-24-2008, 07:44 PM,
Renaming = cheating or better "waste of time"

Fake targets = normal tactics. (imho)
Send this user an email
02-26-2008, 12:21 AM,
Hello All,

I fully approve the use of smoke to create hindrance and deception - that is what it is meant for.

I have used it to create fake arty positions in my rear for the enemy to shoot at.
I have also dropped lots of smoke ahead of my troops to simulate that I am advancing on the enemy lines. I may even move some units through the smoke and let them poke ou here and there so the enemy thinks there is a large force comming. This usually attracts arty fire.

Renaming units is a bit too far - unless it is clearly a joke. Renaming a sniper as "invisible man" or "sneaky fellow" would be fine. Renaming a bazzoka team to "Scouts" would not.
Changing a name of a unit to another existing unit to deliberately trick the opponent is lack of game etiquette, IMO. If you have to right click on every unit to find out what it really is, the game becomes cumbersome and stops being fun.