• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Elltee Vs Herr Oberst - I'm ready for a whipping (No Oberst in here please)
01-19-2008, 02:57 AM,
Elltee Vs Herr Oberst - I'm ready for a whipping (No Oberst in here please)
So I am playing one of the 'big boys' (this could become a story of how the really good players differ from an average player)

Its Russia May 1943 (as thats the same period as my other DAR) South ME 1500pts 30turns variable Rural heavy Trees and Moderate Hills

I've gone for quality over quantity as I expect some tough forest fighting

3 Reg Stug IIIG
Vet SS Pz Gren Company 43A
4 Vet 250/10 Ht with the 37mm gun
3 Vet MG42 LMG's
3 Vet Tank hunters
1 Crack Sniper
2 Vet P Schreck
2 Reg PSW 222A/Cars

Will have to wait for the map before deciding a strategy but my thinking at the moment is that with less troops I will stay concentrated on the task in hand which I will have to do against a quality opponent.
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2008, 03:12 AM,
RE: Elltee Vs Herr Oberst - I'm ready for a whipping (No Oberst in here please)
Just out of curiosity,why did you bought the 250/10 halftracks?They're not exactly tank-killers nor is their 37mm gun any good against infantry.And i guess i could ask the same questions for the armored cars? :) Wouldn't it be better to spend the same points on 251/1 halftracks?At least you'd have your infantry covering the flags faster than herr oberst with them.
Send this user an email
01-19-2008, 04:09 AM,
the armoured cars are just scouts for my Stug's really so that they dont get surprised in the close terrain - I'd rather lead with them than a Stug. The half tracks will either go on a mission in the rear or give the infantry some long range protection - depends on the map really.
01-19-2008, 09:49 AM,
I see your point,but personally i wouldn't use ACs for scouting duties,especially in a 1500 pts QB.They're to expensive to be used for scouting and they'll probably die quite quickly with those nasty russian AT rifles around.Perhaps,you'll manage to draw some gun fire with them if your opponent forgets to assign them some arcs,but again,you're playing herroberst,so this might be out of the question :)) And,i guess,this only applies to attacks,not necesailly for MEs,were they're probably be totally useless.
And i'm afraid the same goes with the 251/10 halftracks.They are to expensive for the firepower they provide.I would have bought insteead some 251/1 HT.Same firepower(as the 37mm-door knocker gun-is virtually useless),cheaper and more important in a ME,it can carry infantry Big Grin
Well,i guess we'll just have to see how this one ends up ;) Good luck. cheers
Send this user an email
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2008, 08:16 PM by Elltee.)
Thanks for the advice - thats the point of doing these reports - yes we shall see how it pans out
01-20-2008, 04:18 AM,
Well what a map - vehicles are pretty redundant full stop. so here goes :-

Right side
[Image: HO1.jpg]

Left side
[Image: HO2.jpg]

Only 2 flags in the middle in the woods - I hope he didnt bring SMG squads - I will keep my infantry on the edge of the clearings in the woods so that they don't die at ultra close range

At least I can do my end around with my A/Cars and half tracks and get on the road behind him

It is crucial that my Stugs get to the hull down point first where hopefully they can ambush his tanks which must come up that road
01-21-2008, 06:35 AM,
Interesting - we seem to have gone with the same strategy

Right Flank
[Image: HO3.jpg]

My A/Cars and halftracks versus a T70 and a carrier with a towed gun

Left Flank
[Image: HO4.jpg]

My Stug's have not crested the rise in the road and now I know there are 4 tanks over there I may not as if I pop over it one at a time I'll be picked off - so we may have a bit of a standoff.
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM,
Herr Oberst gets to the flag first but I think only with LMG's so I need to get my infantry in position ASAP and advance carefully

[Image: HO5.jpg]
01-22-2008, 09:03 AM,
Three Platoons in the woods - so far I only know where 1 of his is - but it would appear 2 of Herr Obersts tanks have gone into the clearing near the flag leaving 1 pointing up the road - so a chance of a 3 on 1 battle here as my Stug's push forward on hunt commands (I suspect there is another tank somewhere but hopefully the quality of my crews and the fact that I should be fairly hull down will win the day).

[Image: HO6.jpg]

Over at the other end it appears to be 2 T70's vs my 4 half tracks and 2 armoured cars, but I know from experience those T70's have good front armour (hopefully someone will get a side on shot). I have spotted infantry in the trees so my a/cars will pull back a bit
01-23-2008, 08:12 AM,
Interesting round - there was a T34 and a KV1 on the other side but they immediately hit reverse as I crested the rise. I manged 1 shot from a Stug scoring a penetration on the T34 but I don't think its a kill. Then a swarm of infantry started chucking molotovs at all the Stug's (Doh!! these Stug's have no MG) but fortunately no damage. So now my Stug's have to pull back and start chucking HE at the infantry. Herr Oberst's centre platoon is starting to fade away but my right hand platoon has lost a squad. Oh and a T70 shot between the trees and took out an A/Car. With the cover so dense I have got to get my observers right to the front line so I can start dropping some mortar shells onto the flags

[Image: HO7.jpg]