• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Guns vs Tanks - Make that shot count!
01-14-2008, 04:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2008, 04:22 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Guns vs Tanks - Make that shot count!
I've been trying to pin down the Stealth thing in tests but its hard to get solid figures because of all the variables whizzing around, but from past playing and testing experience i've noticed a stealth leader rating definitely does help infantry stay unspotted longer.
As for guns, I'd guess it helps them too, but when a gun fires (especially a big 'un) its blast and smoke are going to broadcast it's position to every enemy for miles around, so not even a top-notch stealth leader can really help it stay unspotted then.

Incidentally here's a reminder of what the Cmbb paper manual says about a leaders stealth on page 65 -
"Stealth (icon:question mark)
Increases the chance of remaining unspotted by the enemy, and for successful navigation through sewer systems. This leadership ability is not available for vehicle HQ's"

PS - To go offtopic slightly,I also came across the following on p.57 which is worth reminding ourselves about -
"Concealment
Units which haven't moved from their initial setup positions,even those not in foxholes or trenches, are assumed by Cmbb to be camouflaged, and are more difficult to spot than units which have moved in subsequent turns.
You won't notice the difference when you place an antitank gun in open ground,especially when not in a foxhole or trench,but woods, rough and other terrain obscuring line of sight will make your units as good as unspottable until they open fire"
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2008, 04:39 AM,
I wonder if the stealth commander has to have los to the enemy also to give the gun a stealth bonus?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
01-14-2008, 04:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2008, 04:52 AM by Sissisimo.)
I've made a lot of testing in different kind of weather with 50mm pak and with buttoned targets. I haven't seen any kind of different. 50mm pak has 14 blast so that's probably too much, maybe just like Colonel Talvela said it has to be 37mm or lighter to see the different. I'm going to run some testing when I've time.
01-14-2008, 05:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2008, 05:33 AM by Sissisimo.)
Made test with 37mm ATG and no different. I don't think stealth makes any different as there's sound contact what can vary from 20 to 25 meter from my experience.

I think I'll end my case here. :)

EDIT: Althougth one thing I noticed if you hit tank well and cause them to go in panic or shock they totally lose it and are blind as bats. :)
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM,
the cmbb 20mm AA gun is probably the sneakiest gun in the game.

"Made test with 37mm ATG and no different. I don't think stealth makes any different as there's sound contact what can vary from 20 to 25 meter from my experience. "

I think the question would be does a stealthy leader help guns remain a sound contact rather than getting a spot id.
01-14-2008, 09:35 PM,
will use this against you in our battle sissisimo.;)
01-16-2008, 03:40 AM,
Excellent information!!! If only I had known this from the start!! Thanks again.
01-16-2008, 08:38 PM,
It also works with schrecks BTW . Actually it works with any unit under a +2 or+1 combat bonus command , it's just the LOS tool that shows the increase of hit probability for AT guns etc... , the same applies to MG's for instance but the stats remain hidden but they will be more accurate nonetheless .
01-20-2008, 02:53 AM,
I thought we needed a snappy.

[Image: ATG-Kill.jpg]
01-20-2008, 07:22 AM,
that explains why my AT guns destroyed after the first shot...

SIT DOWN YOU IDIOT!