• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery counter fire opinions & views wanted
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM,
RE: Artillery counter fire opinions & views wanted
It works only for our Off-Map arty. That's what I forgot with the time.
Thank you Walrus.;)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM,
I believe the smoke signature gives us a reasonably realistic counter-battery option.

Sound devices, smoke, aircraft, local intel, common sense and good map reading allowed some accurate strikes on artillery behind the lines.

However, if you don't employ some subterfuge and camouflage techniques then you'll probably take more casualties than is historically accurate.

I recommend:
Place artillery in rough ground whenever possible.
Use a mixture of SP arty and towed arty. The SP arty will keep your opponent guessing.
In the first few turns fire some smoke rounds behind your own lines; which will make it hard for your opponent to know which smoke is from arty. Repeat as needed.
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM,
i have a few rules I use for on board arty.

1. Dig deep or move fast. If I have mobile arty then I keep them mobile, moving and shooting, one group shoots another fires, some will get caught from time to time but useally you can keep away from the harsh stuff.

If you cant move choose rough ground, rocks or buildings/rubble to dig in and disperse your units so they dont get caught in one blast, if you have ammo dumps you have to cluster but then you choose dead ground or hard to hit spaces. One chat I often use is if the range is good I place my arty right on the edge of the board, so its hard to hit and cluster fire tends to be dispersed, and if you have good cover digging arty in next to ammo bunkers make it tough to hit and destroy.

2. is CB worth it, sometimes if it a mobile battle you are always ahead of the enemy arty and CB is not needed, so I tend to save CB for defensive battles where I need to keep him of my back.
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.