• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

B'45...a few questions
01-02-2008, 02:27 PM,
B'45...a few questions
1. Why do some of the Hungarian troops with moral "C" trapped in Budapest have only 18 movement factors? Even the E moral units have 21.

2. If the Germans/Hungarians succeed in breaking out from Budapest west to their relief force is it worth the points they'll lose for the 3500 or so points they'll lose when they leave Budapest? I don't want to play some 300 turns to find out I should have just stayed put.

Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM,
RE: B'45...a few questions
HirooOnoda Wrote:1. Why do some of the Hungarian troops with moral "C" trapped in Budapest have only 18 movement factors? Even the E moral units have 21.

I believe you are referring to the component called "44 Irregular Inf" and I think the component name says it all. I would suspect the unit wouldn't really be that mobile, wouldn't have great command and control within the unit itself. So when we put the OOB together we reduced the speed to 3 km/h whiile the standard foot unit movement in the series is 4km/h.

But on the other hand - the unit did fight and defend the city well so we felt the C Quality was warranted.

Quote:2. If the Germans/Hungarians succeed in breaking out from Budapest west to their relief force is it worth the points they'll lose for the 3500 or so points they'll lose when they leave Budapest? I don't want to play some 300 turns to find out I should have just stayed put.

I don't know how to respond to this one I am afraid - maybe to say I don't think Hitler wanted the troops encircled to be evacuated - rather he wanted the City back behind his own lines and refused to accept any other option. That is to say this encirclement was more like Stalingrad and less like Korsun overall.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM,
Thanks for the answer.

Thus I shouldn't evacuate the city.

Hiroo
01-03-2008, 04:17 AM,
What would help with that (and other such questions) is if the strength table could give the VP values of units by at least Div strength if thats possible and easy it would be nice.
01-03-2008, 04:34 AM,
Mike Bowen Wrote:What would help with that (and other such questions) is if the strength table could give the VP values of units by at least Div strength if thats possible and easy it would be nice.

Mike:

I think if your working the game by math, than ....well, that doesn't fit for me anyway.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-03-2008, 04:34 AM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Thus I shouldn't evacuate the city.

That is entirely up to you I think.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-03-2008, 04:45 AM,
Hiro,

I am playing the HTH full camp. as russky. You must also think that the
Axis in Budapest bind up alot of russian forces surrounding the town.
But you decide that is the beauty in these games.
01-03-2008, 04:48 AM,
[/quote]

I think if your working the game by math, than ....well, that doesn't fit for me anyway.

Glenn
[/quote]

You can't get away from the math, it's built into the system. The victory point locations define the objectives and capture of the objectives determines level of loss or victory.
01-03-2008, 06:17 AM,
alaric99x Wrote:
Quote:I think if your working the game by math, than ....well, that doesn't fit for me anyway.

You can't get away from the math, it's built into the system. The victory point locations define the objectives and capture of the objectives determines level of loss or victory.

Well, I won't argue with it - I know it is "Built In" which to me means the computer does that for me. If I were to find myself counting up the value of units encircled to determine the best course of action, then I wouldn't find that "fun" to me.

I look at the map from a big picture - and decide what I think works best or might work best. But to each their own I suppose.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-03-2008, 07:07 AM,

Well, I won't argue with it - I know it is "Built In" which to me means the computer does that for me. If I were to find myself counting up the value of units encircled to determine the best course of action, then I wouldn't find that "fun" to me.

I look at the map from a big picture - and decide what I think works best or might work best. But to each their own I suppose.

Glenn
[/quote]

I agree with what you're saying, it detracts from the game when you constantly have to count and evaluate points. I'm only saying that a player, like an actual commander, has to be aware of objectives and what the gaining, or retaining, of those objectives is worth in comparison to possible losses.