• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern wargear limits ?
01-05-2008, 12:32 AM,
RE: Modern wargear limits ?
On the size zero units...
Well, maybe they do play the mind.... but it is more than that, really.
In modern MBT, infantry carried AT is a real threat and even in WW2 I have seen a sniper wipe out entire infantry sections. By the time you spot it it is too late...
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2008, 12:46 AM,
Turn spotting to 150%, that sniper can take max two shots if the infantry is not pinned before they can spot him and bye bye.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
01-05-2008, 09:24 AM,
Grumbler Wrote:You gets what you pays for. And you should be able to slaughter an Opfor composed of Snipers. Decide where you want to go, follow a rolling barrage along that route, area firing as you go. All that hot metal flying around will cause suppression on the sniper, which will allow you to spot it. Then you kill him and move on to the next target.
Size zero targets are all psych-ops weapons. They are supposed ti work on your mind first and foremost. The best defense is to not let them, or in my case, not have a mind.Eek

I like the rolling barrage - good call Grumi:boom3:
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
01-08-2008, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM by General SP.)
I just read through experimental rules. They´re fine when both players have "normal" army. How about when playing with Mujahideen as I like to do? :)

I mean, I don´t think they have two identical companies in whole army. Just bunch of tribals and taliban and saudi soldiers, a lot of "snipers", one man units (which is fine way to simulate local lamb herder who just happens to be in right place at right time with his AK47), mixed selection of ATGMs, mortars scattered around rather than deployed in nice formations. Never have full unit of armors, maybe one or two, almost never same model.

I don´t believe there should be limitations and specific rules. I just don´t think it´s fun to buy 100+ snipers and javelins, score is not worth of losing your reputition. I wouldn´t start crying when I lose to this kind of army, just not to play with the guy next time.

And... well, I don´t think ladder score will make my brain bigger Big Grin I don´t understand why to sacrifice fun to just score some points. If my opponent chooses to play with army composed of heavy rocket batteries, snipers and atgms, so be it. I´ll whip his ass ;)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
01-08-2008, 04:56 AM,
I have a suggestion, don't use these rules ... or any rules.
Vesku

01-08-2008, 10:46 AM,
AlienXXX i nuked your post by accident; I meant to nuke my reply.

A good friend emailed me and pointed out that perhaps the army way of speaking to others is not the best and I agree.

Too often my posts are too hard nosed; which I don't mean them to be.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM,
For us that know you well Chris we all know you speak with the best intentions for us and the blitz, so its all good mate.

Nothing like a bit of discipline SgtWhip
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
01-09-2008, 04:44 AM,
Thanks man. I was told the same thing while in the army, that I was too direct and hard nosed. In fact there was one time when a brigadier general asked me what I thought was a totally stupid question, as to me, it was very evident in the regulations.

So I wrote him up a reply, but something told me to let someone else check it out. I gave it to my supervisor and who said "well, you are kind of calling him an idiot you know". I rewrote the letter.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-09-2008, 11:35 PM,
AlienXXX Wrote:I like the fact that the game is so flexible: it allows for any strategy or unit combination to be tried in the battlefield. It is so flexible that we find ourselves imposing limits to it: "no airstrikes", "only 1 ATGM per company", etc.

Of course, I would be as annoyed as the next guy if I end up playing someone who decides to bring 50 snipers to battle and I prefer people who buy unit formations... On the other hand I can understand the desire to max out AT weapons, especially if playing an enemy with stronger tanks.

However, I believe the issue is not with the flexibility of the game or individual preferences for units. I think the unit prices are unrealistic.
For example, airplanes in WW2 and (at least) early MBT are quite unexpensive.
Ammo supply units should cost a lot more than they do.
One of the few exceptions is good quality snipers who are actually fairly priced versus infantry.

Higher prices for the more desirable "toys" should result in people who buy unrealistic ammounts of ATGMs, for example, having to sacrifice so much on other unit types that the resulting army would have easily exploitable weaknesses.
I totally agree Alienxxx.
I partly understand the answer of Grumbler but I think anyway the calculation mode should be changed. We could add a parameter defining the rarity of the units giving the most rare toys an higher price (per period of time). With maybe the exception of the US army, we all know that all the units of the armies are not equipped with the latest equipment for budget reasons. Then, it's unrealistic to see on small battles like the ones simulated by the game a concentration of these expensive equipments because they are cheap in the game system.
I'm against too any rules. I don't understand the on board arty, I don't understand the air limit. I usually accept them but I don't like them.
If I want to buy too many planes, I will probably loose. Concerning arty, I understand better your comment here to have only off-map arty which makes more sense in this simulation size. But, I would like to simulate some time an arty unit retreating and meeting an ennemy scout unit. Then, no rule for me except maybe the gentleman agreement of no arty plot on turn 0.
Send this user an email
01-10-2008, 01:26 AM,
I've played couple of hundred battles without arty limit and almost every battle was won by the side with most arty, guess why I like to have a max limit.

These limits are suggestion for those who like to play a certain simulation, I don't use them in all my battles but it's a good set to start with when you want to limit those pesky zero size units or the mass destruction weapons.
Vesku