• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern wargear limits ?
01-22-2008, 05:45 AM,
RE: Modern wargear limits ?
Personally, I tend to play with relatively few rules, with only two that I play regularly--limits on artillery and no first-round barrages. After that, pretty much anything goes. I do this mainly because force selection falls mainly on a person's ability to do their METT-T (Mission, Enemy, Troops, Terrain, Time) analysis. This also increases the possible combinations of enemy forces you may encounter. I tend to select fairly balanced and standard OBs, but that is because I find it challenging to fight with a force I may actually have commanded during my military career as opposed to an unrealisticly imbalanced force. But that is a limit I place on myself.

Part of the draw of SPMBT over SPWWII or SPWAW is the opportunity to use more modern equipment, which includes ATGMs and helicopters. The lone tank is not the lord on the battlefield that it once was. That's normal; weapons effectiveness fluctuates over time as measures and countermeasures are developed. If you don't want to face ATGMs, play the WWII games or only play games pre-1960s. Anytime after that, ATGMs are a reality and something you will have to take into account when you are building a force and playing. Imagine what would have happened to Israel during the Six-Day War if it didn't have ATGMs.

I think the option of playing with a rarity factor is good and one that does a good job of pushing toward a more realistic OB, but it is something that should be done as an option only. Sometimes, it is fun to play with an odd OB. SPWAW includes a rarity factor as an option, and one that I always use, even if it does limit the number of weapons systems that I might want. You frequently end up with units that are not complete because the rarity prevents you from having a full squad or platoon, but that's realistic, too. You are not always at 100%, sometimes due to maintenance, other times through combat.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts.
Quote this message in a reply