• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RNL vs Jobu88 QBME [Jobu88 - keep out!]
12-21-2007, 11:05 PM,
RNL vs Jobu88 QBME [Jobu88 - keep out!]
Introduction

This DAR is a current battle with Jobu88, where I have the Allies and he has the Axis forces. We will be publishing the DAR concurrently with the action, with the agreement that we do not read each other’s DAR until the end. The parameters of the battle are:

[Image: QB_ME_Parameters.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2007, 11:07 PM,
RE: RNL vs Jobu88 QBME [Jobu88 - keep out!]
Purchase and Planning Phase

As the Allies I purchased:
• 3 x Platoon T-34/85 [Veteran]
• 1 x SU-76M [Veteran]
• 4 x Platoon Guards Pioneer [Regular]
• 2 x Sharpshooter [Veteran and Regular]
• 1 x 82mm mortar [Veteran – but delivered as Crack]
• 2 x Maxims [Veteran]

The map is characterized by the village in the centre with a main flag on the left of the village and another main flag outside the village on the right. I have one road leading to the flag on the left, so undoubtedly I can get to that flag first, which is also on high ground. Tree cover is comparatively sparse on the left and the flag on the right is characterized by heavier tree cover and on lower ground.

[Image: Map.jpg]
12-21-2007, 11:07 PM,
In my last battle with Jobu88 there were three main flags and one minor one. Two of the main flags were together and the third was some distance away with a minor flag close by. He chose an infantry heavy force with two platoons of T-34/85 tanks. He feinted an attack on the major and minor flags with a squad of PTRD ATRs whilst concentrating all of his forces on the two major flags. He did not succeed against the Axis infantry there because they were supported by the remaining tanks after the tank battle on the hill. In short the Allied infantry could not cross the open spaces.

It is highly possible that I will see similar tactics again, in which case my infantry may be dangerously split between the two flags. However, I will rely on the ability of the armour to support the infantry at the flags in sufficient force to stop any attack succeeding and destroying my infantry in detail. The other question is what is his likely force composition? I will make a starting assumption that he has 5 or 6 AFVs and 5 platoons of infantry. Time will tell…
12-21-2007, 11:08 PM,
The Plan

As always, there are a number of options to approach this battle such as go to the left flag, or go to the right flag, or wait for the Axis to occupy a flag and then obliterate the forces there with everything and then take the second flag… I decide to take the left flag with all of the tanks and 2 platoons of pioneers. I will also send up the Maxim to bolster the defenses at that flag. On the right; I will use the other 2 pioneer platoons and also the Maxim and the mortar. I will send them all into the trees to the left of the flag and so potentially operate on an interior line between the flags using the village or the open space my side of the road. That assumes that I can dominate the village sufficiently to not have my forces picked off as they move between the flags. I will keep the SU-76M in reserve on the right to counter any armour forces on that side but I will be ready to shuttle tanks across if it looks like there are a lot of armour forces over there.
12-21-2007, 11:10 PM,
Initial Occupation and Contact

The tanks and 2 platoons of infantry are occupying the left flag, the Maxim is still some way away but on the march.

[Image: OccupyingLeftFlag.jpg]
12-21-2007, 11:10 PM,
At the right flag the infantry is fired on and the first round, which has been ringed has pinned the squad but it never even saw where the shot came from. The second round is only a sound contact but breaks the squad.

[Image: InfantryattheRightFlag.jpg]
12-21-2007, 11:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2007, 11:17 PM by RNL Tiger.)
The rest of the infantry keep moving to contact but in short there is no conclusive spot of the shooter. The next 60 seconds though clarifies where the shooter it is:

[Image: InfantryattackedbyPanther.jpg]

It is not clearly spotted but it is believed to be a Panther, listening to the gunfire I think there are two Panthers there along with some infantry. In any case, the platoon is severely shaken and a squad is routed; they need to stop moving and begin the process of rallying.
12-21-2007, 11:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2007, 11:18 PM by RNL Tiger.)
It is time to call for some reinforcements and I assemble two platoons of T-34/85s to prepare to move to the right flag. I will leave one tank platoon at the left flag to protect the infantry’s left flank, with two up and one back.

[Image: AssemblingT34s.jpg]

The important point is that the Panthers have extremely good front armour but a weak turret. They outclass the T-34/85 on an individual basis so the Allied armour needs to get flank or rear shots and preferably out-number the Panthers.
12-21-2007, 11:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2007, 11:31 PM by RNL Tiger.)
Evaluation of current situation

The Allied forces have occupied and secured the left flag, with no enemy forces in sight. On the right the Allied infantry have been interdicted on their way to the flag; they have been shaken up pretty badly by what looks like a couple of panthers and some infantry. The Allied infantry on the right are vulnerable now and have not reached their objective positions. They cannot stand against panthers without armour support.

It seems that the Axis have a platoon of Panthers in the area along with some unidentified infantry. I should probably assume that the main focus of the Axis effort [Schwerpunkt] will be against the right flag.

The plan needs to adapt to the current situation; I will
• Rally the Allied infantry by getting them into command; hiding where appropriate and setting cover arcs – their primary task is to hold ground
• Stop the Maxim and mortar teams where the broken squad is, they should still have good observation and fields of fire on the right flag
• Bring 2 platoons of the T-34/85s over to the right and position the SU-76M into a keyhole position – their primary task is to knock-out enemy armour
12-22-2007, 06:16 AM,
Sniper attacks tanks

A sniper approaches the location of the Axis tank. As suspected there are two tanks but one of them is identified as a Panzer IV and the other is possibly a Panther. I am inclined to believe that the other one is also a Panzer IV and if so that will make killing them a little easier as they are outclassed by the T-34/85. The sniper attacks the tanks and given that the range is ~150m I hope that he has killed both tank commanders.

[Image: Sniperattackstanks.jpg]

Elsewhere the other sniper has reached the centre of the village without sighting any of the enemy forces, however, a couple of Axis infantry squads seem to be approaching the left flag. I may need to reconsider whether the right flag will be the main focus of the Axis push. Since it is still early in the battle there is plenty of time to see what develops.