• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fresh meat into the fray
12-21-2007, 11:32 AM,
RE: Fresh meat into the fray
Thanks for sharing that with us Eric. It was very interesting to read. I met a Polish women this past summer who spent a number of years in gulags. Her father was a Polish officer executed in the Katyn forest.

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2007, 01:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007, 01:56 AM by alaric99x.)
Thank you too, Gary. I guess the Polish woman's crime was that her father was executed, that would normally be reason enough to send her to the camps. Poland really got screwed during WWII, first by the Germans and Soviets in '39 and then after "liberation" in '45. The Baltic countries suffered too (Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia) where many citizens were hauled away in '39 and then again in '44 - '45. In fact, every European country liberated by the Soviets had thousands of citizens hauled away. It's understandable that all these countries are so eager to join the EU and NATO now, they haven't forgotten the indelicate treatment of their Russian liberators.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" gives an interesting general history of the Gulag, but it can be long-winded and dry in many parts. There's also a relatively new book out by Anne Applebaum, "Gulag, a History," which is much easier to read.
12-22-2007, 02:24 AM,
I'm currently reading Applebaum's book, very comprehensive work. Highly recommended to anyone who want to get as good a look as you can get into the unprecedented network of forced labor camps that made up the gulag.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.