• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Player Profile #8 Engelbrekt
12-16-2007, 03:54 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Player Profile #8 Engelbrekt
What is your name?
David Ekberg

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
Engelbrekt is a historical character that interests me. He was a 15th century Swedish lower nobility of German descent. Coming from nowhere he started an uprising, based on peasants using guerrilla tactics and besieging enemy castles, that ultimately evicted the Danish king that ruled Sweden. In traditional history he is seen as nationalistic figure but recent research indicates his connection to the Hansa, the powerful German merchant city league, protecting their interests in the iron ore trade.

What ladders are you represented on?
PzC, tried to find time to play some ACW and Squad Battles as well but it has not worked yet.

What is your favourite PC War-game?
Panzer Campaigns, loved it from the first time I played it.

Who has been your hardest opponent?
Peter777 learned me a lot in a game of MG44. Rev Rico also humbled me in Salerno.

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?
Not sure, since 2003 perhaps.

What War interests you the most?
WW2: all fronts but North Africa especially, the many Renaissance wars: naval combat in particular and the early Roman wars.

If you could choose to be present at one historical event what would it be?
The Stockholm Bloodbath of 1520. An ugly event where the Danish king Kristian had a large part of the Swedish nobility executed in the square outside the old castle. This was after he had promised amnesty for their rebellion. But he blamed the church who had judged the nobles heretics. Who did what and why on that day? Was it a Machiavellian scheme, planned in advance by Kristian or did things just get out of control for everyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_Bloodbath

What is your favourite War movie?
The Thin Red Line, awesome movie but I still fall asleep every time I watch it.

What do you snack on while gaming?
A coke, a carrot or a cup of tea. Now for Christmas I eat traditional Swedish gingerbread cookies: “pepparkakor”, the thin kind not the big ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread

What is your favourite and least favourite aspect of the Blitz website?
An excellent way of understanding the rules better, interesting discussions and I get very inspired to play the games when people talk of their experiences.

Do you own any war memorabilia?
No, never had an interest in that. I have a spooky thing called Ahnenpass, my grandmothers (who lived in Germany) little book showing her ancestry and “race”. The Nazis required it if you wanted to get married. Apparently, my forefathers have lived for centuries on the German-Dutch border as farmers.

What is the best military book you have read?
Winston Churchills memoirs of the war are excellent, recommended. He did win the Nobel prize for a reason.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?
The entry of the US into the war and with it 51% of the worlds industrial capacity behind the Allied cause.

What is the most interesting documentary you have ever watched?
Planet Earth

Which is your favourite HPS PzC title?
Tough one, if I have to pick it would be Bulge 44. There is a lot if finesse in that title and you get a nice feel of the problems the two sides faced in the battle.

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?
Napoleons Campaign by AGEOD. Looks beautiful, fun and well made.

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
Try team games, they are fun and if you are short on time you can still play large campaigns.
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2007, 06:29 AM,
RE: Player Profile #8 Engelbrekt
:soap: :)
12-18-2007, 06:51 AM,
Foul. Wrote:What is the best military book you have read?
Winston Churchills memoirs of the war are excellent, recommended. He did win the Nobel prize for a reason.

I have considered reading the a several times but then I am always put-off as they were written before ULTRA was declassified. Hence no mention of the use of Ultra or its importance in strategic or operational decisions is made in his works.

Do you think it detracts significantly.
12-18-2007, 07:55 AM,
FLG Wrote:I have considered reading the a several times but then I am always put-off as they were written before ULTRA was declassified. Hence no mention of the use of Ultra or its importance in strategic or operational decisions is made in his works.

Do you think it detracts significantly.

No, the joy of reading Churchill's memoirs is Churchill himself and the enormous impact he had on British and Allied warfare and politics. Ultra was but one tool in the box of the British government.
12-18-2007, 08:20 AM,
I'll have to take the plunge and buy the set.
12-18-2007, 11:06 AM,
It's always sobering to consider that most of this series of books was dictated by Churchill while in the bath....just kidding, but I believe the entire set was dictated.

Fury