• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CM Then and Now
12-18-2007, 04:47 AM,
RE: CM Then and Now
I agree, we should get out there and find other clubs that are playing the game. Promote interclub play, and discussions.
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2007, 07:48 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I think we are promoting CM best just by teaching people how to play it. This site is much more newbie friendly than when I first joined - it seemed like back then no one wanted to reveal any game tips - you had to find those elsewhere or learn by losing. When people get trounced several times at the start, they may decide they are just no good at the game and move on to another.

The setting up of a strategy and tactics section was an excellent move here. Making the ladder more newbie friendly (set up for an annual champ) and adding more of an area for new players advising them how to start wisely (like playing through JasonCs tutorials, reading all of POS' and others' tactical and teaching posts, and by playing EACH OTHER at first) would help greatly.

Here's an idea: Ladder points are given now to people who playtest. How about the same point system given to a vet who tutors a newbie during one of his first ten games? The game result won't count but they would both get ladder points for participating.

As far as game improvements, the bottom line is money, and if a company sees that there is potential money to be made there, we will eventually see CM2. If Battlefront is burned out on it, they may sell the rights to another game company - who knows? I think there is definitely a solid number of turn-based, PBEM driven game fans out there.

from a newbie, I totaly agree. I find posts all the time giving up hints from guys who have been around for yonks. Really appreciate it too !

also, just to let you know that I found out about the game when I heard that the Australian Army had commisioned a version of CMAK to assit in officer training. I consider that quite a big endorsement !

There was a great write-up in the Army newspaper and here I am..

as for the future, wasn't there a thread along the lines that it would take 10 years to get enough points to move from the bottom of the table to the top?

what about an annual or 6 monthly table, like Football codes culminating in some form of Grand Final, FA Cup, Super bowl finish?? I like the idea of a league type set up with differnt leagues with relegation etc .. anyway , there's my ten cents worth ! cheers :)
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM,
So, with these leagues are you thinking nationality, number of games played, some kind of handicap system?

As for the inter site competitions/tournaments/campaigns there are several of those in the works as we speak.

Well then...my game play is very poor due to the fact that pretty much all I do is make scenarios and playtest. Not that it's not fun and worthwhile..just not at the level of an RD or Ladder Leader...and because of the time allocation never will be at that level of game play.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-18-2007, 08:41 AM,
CM Campaigns. That is really the only thing I think that will really boost CM gaming. And I still have a wii little bit of hope they will release it.
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM by Mad Russian.)
Colonel Talvela Wrote:CM Campaigns. That is really the only thing I think that will really boost CM gaming. And I still have a wii little bit of hope they will release it.

I would like to see it too. Personally I think we have as good a chance of me writing the code for CMx3 as CMC ever seeing the light of day.

1) CMBB is a dead game as far as BFC is concerned.

2) They have been working on it half the life of the company and seem no closer now than ever before of releasing it.

3) The BFC way is to have one programmer work on something and the same holds true in this case. It is also my understanding that the single programmer for CMC is about to deploy to Iraq. Deployments to Iraq can last up to 18 or 24 months. That should make for a speedy release.

4) The code for CMx1 according to BFC is a mess. So then how do you combine the two of them into something that will work from all these standpoints.

That's one of the reasons we are working on Op CM to get a similar idea across with administrators. That project I know is going forward and is getting closer to completion. Not sure if thats true with CMC or not.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-18-2007, 02:20 PM,
Well I don't know why games like "Medieval: Total War" can field hundreds of individually modeled soldiers all firing arrows, in melee, on horseback, etc. and we can't get an upgrade to add more eye candy to the game with a few horses and motorcycles. I don't see why that has to be a major undertaking, but I'm not a programmer.

CM campaigns would really be more of a solitaire game I would think, just by the sheer length involved. Right now I don't see how it would make this site more active.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:Well I don't know why games like "Medieval: Total War" can field hundreds of individually modeled soldiers all firing arrows, in melee, on horseback, etc. and we can't get an upgrade to add more eye candy to the game with a few horses and motorcycles. I don't see why that has to be a major undertaking, but I'm not a programmer.

Because the Battlefront team has tired of working on this engine and has committed itself to the CMx2 engine. Remember their complaint that it "took too much work and too much time" too make every new edition of CM1? Well, how long did it take for them to come up with the piece of crap called CM:SF?

*sigh*

CM:BB & CM:AK are still the best tactical games in existence. Too bad I have so little time to commit to playing any more.
12-18-2007, 11:33 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:CM campaigns would really be more of a solitaire game I would think, just by the sheer length involved. Right now I don't see how it would make this site more active.

CMC is actually not a solitaire game as I envision it. I do think they are shooting for a solitaire function but not an overall experience.

We would use CMC as just that. A way to put some historically based operations together, which we are doing anyway, and have the computer track all the details.

With or without CMC we should see some kind of operational CM campaign in 2008. At the moment it's looking like it will be at Prokhorovka. Site of the supposed largest tank battle in history. Since that myth has been busted it will be interesting to see what actually took place there.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-19-2007, 02:52 AM,
Battlefront are not the ones doing the programming for CMC it is a third party, BF are just publishing it.
12-19-2007, 05:24 AM,
Fullhouse Wrote:Battlefront are not the ones doing the programming for CMC it is a third party, BF are just publishing it.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. And that one programmer is reportedly headed to Iraq for a tour...so how long will it be before CMC becomes available? If ever......

Good Hunting.

MR