• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TFB Scenario Design
12-12-2007, 01:21 AM,
TFB Scenario Design
I am working on a TFB Scenario but am stuck on setting an Embarked limit - when I playtest and try to embark I am told on the bottom left dialogue that I have exceeded the embark limit. I thought that this would be in the pdt file like the rail value in PzC but if it is I cannot find it - in the stock France 40 scenarios I cannot embark but I can in the Norway scenarios and they both use the same main.pdt file. I have searched through all the menus and the manual and cannot find any hints. Can anyone help?

P.S. On the HPS website it states 'It also comes with an extensive historical order-of-battle and scenario editor so players can create their own scenarios'. I can find the scenario editor and a pdt editor but no OOB editor - is this a misprint or am I a dimwit or do I need to contact HPS direct. I can do it in notepad like the Napoleonic series but I'd rather not.
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2007, 02:36 AM,
RE: TFB Scenario Design
I am at work and unfortunately don't push the limit of things by putting the game on my work computer, so I am not positive on things. However, here goes, I am sure Glenn will be able to clarify fully though when he gets a chance, if needed.

I believe the embarkation limit is set IN the scenario rather than the PDT. So look through the menus in the scenario editor for a place to enter an embarktion limit.

I am almost positive that you create your OOB in the scenario editor also, although it has been awhile since I played around with that. You have the components for each nation that are already setup, and add the desired ones to the scenario one at a time, at which point you are asked to name the unit. So for France, you add a British 1940 infantry division and then can name it 5th Infantry Div or whatever fits the OOB you are working on. Add another, the 2nd Infantry Div, etc.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-12-2007, 10:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
Loggie Wrote:P.S. On the HPS website it states 'It also comes with an extensive historical order-of-battle and scenario editor so players can create their own scenarios'. I can find the scenario editor and a pdt editor but no OOB editor - is this a misprint or am I a dimwit or do I need to contact HPS direct. I can do it in notepad like the Napoleonic series but I'd rather not.

There is no OOB editor - that part on the HPS Website is not correct and I will have it fixed as soon as possible. Sorry for the misleading info on that.

Save yourself the trouble of doing text edts as any modifications to the OOB will cause the game to not run.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-12-2007, 10:51 AM,
Loggie Wrote:I am working on a TFB Scenario but am stuck on setting an Embarked limit - when I playtest and try to embark I am told on the bottom left dialogue that I have exceeded the embark limit. I thought that this would be in the pdt file like the rail value in PzC but if it is I cannot find it ,,,,

I just checked the PDT and not it isn't in there - the main.pdt only contains the items which you can see under HELP | Paramater Dat or F2.

Quote: - in the stock France 40 scenarios I cannot embark but I can in the Norway scenarios and they both use the same main.pdt file. I have searched through all the menus and the manual and cannot find any hints. Can anyone help?

Embarkation is a game limit set by nation per Sea region. It is controlled by the file "Embark.dat" found in the \DATA folder

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-12-2007, 05:31 PM,
Glenn

Many thanks. I assume that changing the embark.dat file will impact on all the scenarios and would then cause issues on any PBEM games.

Quote:Save yourself the trouble of doing text edts as any modifications to the OOB will cause the game to not run

There goes my short term plan of creating an SS Pz Div in 1940 and the longer term plan of adding the US to the OOB and changing a few values so I can run a D-Day scenario on the France map.

L.
12-13-2007, 05:40 AM,
Loggie Wrote:Glenn

Many thanks. I assume that changing the embark.dat file will impact on all the scenarios and would then cause issues on any PBEM games.

correct

Quote:There goes my short term plan of creating an SS Pz Div in 1940 and the longer term plan of adding the US to the OOB and changing a few values so I can run a D-Day scenario on the France map.

That would be one of the primary reasons for locking the OOB to be honest.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-13-2007, 08:34 AM,
Glenn
If HPS gave us TWIE fans some new material we would not have to resort to such matters! I tried to get a 1944 scenario up and running too but realized it was just about impossible. Pleeeease HPS give us a new TWIE game.....cheers
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM,
Krak Wrote:Glenn
If HPS gave us TWIE fans some new material we would not have to resort to such matters! I tried to get a 1944 scenario up and running too but realized it was just about impossible. Pleeeease HPS give us a new TWIE game.....cheers

Well, we are working on it again - just put another couple long nights into it. Not sure when it will be ready, but it certainly is noty forgotten either.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-14-2007, 07:57 AM,
Good to hear. I have played a lot of TFB. If you need an extra playtester at any stage you need look no further. cheers