• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MALITZ TROPHY COMPETITION
12-14-2007, 01:29 PM,
RE: THE MALITZ TROPHY COMPETITION
I just esent it too you.
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2007, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Jobu delivers his big punch

He hurls 6 x T-34/85's (Groups A and B) against my 6 x PzIVH's (Groups C and D) to trigger a huge tank battle for the centre of Malitz, neither side giving an inch, just standing there trading broadsides.
The fire lanes of the groups criss-cross the map (red arrows) and when the dust settles, 5 out of 6 T-34's lie dead, and 4 out of 6 PzIVH's.
(Figures to left of slash indicate number killed out of each group of 3)

[Image: Jo1.png]

[Image: JoX.png]
12-14-2007, 11:09 PM,
Very nice to see all the different approaches (and choice in force-pick) from all the different players. It seems everybody has different ideas about the right force-mix. Only thing I can tell is that POS prefers the T34/85 when playing allied and the Panzer IV when playing the german side.
12-15-2007, 12:23 AM,
BertBlitzkrieg (FGM) Wrote:POS prefers the T34/85 when playing allied and the Panzer IV when playing the german side.

Yes mate, They're my standard choices as soon as they're available because the price is right and they can do the job well enough.

The Pz IVH is about equal to the T-34/85 and can also run rings round lumbering Stalins and SU's for side/rear shots.
I sometimes beef up my IVH force with something like a Tiger/ Panth/ Kingtig out of my toy basket for fun..

Pz IV in Zhitomir
[Image: zhitomir1943.jpg]

When I'm Russian I like T-34/85's because they pack a good punch and can rip Pz IV's to pieces and club Tigers to death with a flurry of shortish-range partial pens especially if using tungsten, but to deal with heavy stuff like Panths and Kingtigs it usually has to get round the side or rear which its high speed allows it to do.
I rarely buy Stalins, too slow and lumbering, and long reload time but
I might sometimes buy one or two, or the odd SU-type for fun..

T-34/85's in East Prussia
[Image: T34s-prussia.jpg]
12-15-2007, 01:42 AM,
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Odies car hoses down my Russian infantry column

Don't you just hate it when you're out for a pleasant summer stroll and tracer and 20mm-shells come ripping through the trees?..
[Image: Odies1.png]

Have fun while you can Charlie, I'm putting out a contract on you..
[Image: Odies2.png]
12-15-2007, 04:14 AM,
Very entertaining thread, gents. It makes the work day go by much faster!
12-15-2007, 06:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Huzaar's Panther beats off 2 x T-34/85's single-handed..

PIC 1 - The Situation. All tanks are stationary. I want to nail the Panther but I don't want my T-34's to step forward into the street and have to contend with his front armour..
[Image: HuzA.gif]

PIC 2 - So I slap 2 o'clock armour-arcs on them and step backwards into a firing position guaranteed to hit him in the side, how kewl is dat!
But oops, he's stepped backwards too and I'm looking at his front armour!
A burst of MG fire from the Panth shocks the front T-34 but no matter, the other one lets the Panth have a tungsten round right down its throat but it bounces off the hull front!!
[Image: HuzB.gif]

PIC 3 - After seeing his shot bounce, the T-34 chickens and auto-slams forward, abandoning his still-shocked and paralysed mate who is quickly taken down by the Panther before he can recover and fire..
[Image: HuzC.gif]

Noob note - See how CM tank combat is like a chess game, move and countermove, trying to outguess the enemy, a bit like a destroyer-v-submarine action, waddya say Captain Ramius?

"We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, lay off their largest city and listen to their rock and roll while we conduct missile drills"
[Image: red-oct.jpg]
12-15-2007, 07:04 AM,
Lots of nice combat shots - keep up the good work.

What about a snapshot of how the overall competition is going? It looks like a couple of people may have an advantage over you - at least in the early stage :)
12-15-2007, 07:39 AM,
RNL Tiger Wrote:What about a snapshot of how the overall competition is going? It looks like a couple of people may have an advantage over you - at least in the early stage :)

I'm going to be deliberately vague for most of the competition about how everybody's doing mate so's not to spoil the surprise, you'll just have to glean what intelligence you can from the screenshots, call it 'fog of war'..:)
However in the later stages I will begin posting a list of everybody's rankings.

I mean, in a real war the men in the front line don't have much idea of the overall big picture, so in that sense my vagueness will add a touch of realism to things by allowing competitors to experience what it's like to not know exactly how things are going strategically..:)

But as the competition wears on and I post more and more endgame screenshots and final scores, all will become much clearer and you'll be able to see how your final score is shaping up alongside the rest..

Remember one thing, if you lose to me there's no way you can lift the fabled Trophy because it'll only be going to whoever beats me by the biggest margin.

The late listing (which i'll keep editing as more results come in) will therefore look something like this -

Darth bt POS 70-30 (margin 40)
Harry bt POS 55-45 (margin 10)
Charlie bt POS 51-49 (margin 2)
-------------------------------
POS bt Bubba
POS bt Leonardo
POS bt Maverick

etc.. (note it won't be necessary to log the scores of those who lost to me)
So Darth will lift the Trophy because he beat me by 40 points..:)
Any questions?
12-15-2007, 07:53 AM,
No questions. Thanks for the update - just what I wanted to see and I recognise that there will be an element of mystery about exactly how things stand until it is all over. Well done to those who have already beaten POS - I am desperately trying to do the same :)