• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MALITZ TROPHY COMPETITION
01-08-2008, 10:51 PM,
RE: THE MALITZ TROPHY COMPETITION
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Ratzki's men capture airfield..

My Russian garrison is routed but the German Clark Gable look-alike says "frankly we don't give a damn"..
[Image: RatzX.png]
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2008, 02:55 AM,
RESULT JUST IN - POS bt Kru..

This endgame shot shows final front lines (Russian brown, German blue), and the number of AFV's each side bought. Yellow figure denotes number destroyed.
Kru bought 5 x expensive Panthers and could therefore only afford a light smattering of infantry, so although his Panthers ran rings round me, he had no real infantry weight to occupy much captured ground..
[Image: Kru-endA.png]

The airfield was the scene of a bitter close-quarter tank battle..
[Image: Kru-endB.png]
01-09-2008, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM by Kru.)
Thank you for the game. It was interesting playing with you. I almost had a minor victory, but your last tank got really lucky at the end.

I also would like to express a little though about this tournament.
I've read before that POS doesn't care about statistics, he's playing as it goes. Good for him if he's enjoying it.
But, for me personally intelligence is as much important as my own experience. It cannot be neglected.
Believe or not, but I knew how to win this tournament from the very beginning. It is because I studied POS moves and tactics, and what he actually showed in his posts was worth pots of gold.
I knew he'd buy T34/85 (at least six), and they will arrive in two columns with the command tanks last in a row. And most likely I knew where they would appear, that is why we had a first clash at turn 2.
So why the hell not I'd bought two King Tigers and some sidekick junk to whack them one after another?? The game could end withing 3 turns. I just knew it, I KNEW it.
Instead... me got stupid, me buy Patheras, wanna do nice battle. Coz me like Panthera a lotta.

The truth is that more sophisticated and more expensive Panther tank is just as good as T34/85 at close range, or in street battle. And during this battle with POS I had 5 armored vehicles and he had 7. I just couldn't escape the feeling that I'm catching up instead of having a superior position. Whatever he lost, I've lost already.
If I had a chance to play this battle again. I'd buy:
2x King Tiger
4x Hetzer (whole platoon)
1x sIG33/1 Grille
1x 75mm AT Pak40
2x MG42 squad
1x Tank hunter team
All regulars, that'd cost 1499pts.

For comparison as a Russian, I'd suggest:
1x Yak9 with rockets (at least a green one)
?x T34/85 (as many as possible)
?x SMG squad (the rest as uneven number goes for a few squads)
That's it.
Cheerio.
Send this user an email
01-09-2008, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Kru quote - I almost had a minor victory, but your last tank got really lucky at the end.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes but I'd had appalling luck in the earlier screenshots where my tanks fired first but only got pointblank rico's (including one off the Panthers turret), so the luck evened out in the end..:)
01-09-2008, 08:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - Pak Paule beat POS 76-24

This endgame shot shows final front lines (Russian brown, German blue), and the number of AFV's each side bought. Yellow figure denotes number destroyed.
He flooded the map with 8 x cheap SU-76's and 5 x 45AT-guns, and I was overwhelmed by sheer numerical superiority as they paralysed my movement with keyholes criss-crossing the map, bleeding my tank force white, then he exploited at will across the map.
The computer surrendered me because I'd lost nearly all my infantry (it does that), even though I still had 2 panzers up and running, but it surrendered them too, grrr...
[Image: PPAA.png]

The Russians occupy the town centre..
[Image: PPB-1.png]

It seemed there were more SU-76's roaming the map than fleas on a hound dawgs back..
[Image: PPC.png]
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM,
RESULT JUST IN - Andre beats POS 70-30

Andre fielded the biggest force I've yet faced in Malitz - 6 x T-34/85s and 4 x SU-76's -and they were all over my force of 7..
[Image: AndH.png]

The battle for the top flag..
[Image: AndI.png]

A huddle of my wrecked panzers..
[Image: AndJ.png]
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Kru quote - Believe or not, but I knew how to win this tournament from the very beginning....If I had a chance to play this battle again. I'd buy...
----------------------------------------------------------

Whoa mate, let's play a Malitz rematch so you can have another crack at it..:)
Same sides as before or different, your call..:)
(Won't count for the Trophy though, just for the Blitz ladder)

PS A reminder to everybody who hasn't entered - the competition finishes on Jan 31st, that's 22 days away, so if you think you can finish in that time sign up now..:)
(a 20-turn game means you only need to return about 30 files, that's about 10 files a week, piece o' cake.
You want a silver cup? -WELL GO FOR IT!
Let me know if you want to sign up now..:)
[email protected]

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
That puts it not unto the touch
To win or lose it all"
-James Graham - 'Marquis of Montrose'
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM,
Hi POS would try with the Axis drop me an setup ;)

Andre
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008, 09:39 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Andre Wrote:Hi POS would try with the Axis drop me an setup ;)
Andre

Okay mate, 001 is on the way..:)

PS -Any more ex-competitors want a mirror just for the Blitz ladder?
[email protected]
01-10-2008, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Airborne Bob's panzer shrugs off another T-34..

PIC 1 -As the rampaging panzer climbs dripping out of the ford like some primeval swamp creature, I send T-34 number 4 to deal with it once and for all (remembering to give this one a 2 o' clock arc), and here he halts at the firing position and fires, but like his previous mates, he MISSES!
[Image: ABP.gif]

PIC 2 The Crack panzer immefiately fires back and swats him like a malarial mosquito, damaging his gun and forcing an auto-retreat (inset)
Perhaps the panzer commander is none other than the legendary Macbeth -

"As easy mayst thou the intrenchant air with thy keen sword impress as make me bleed!
Let fall thy blade on vulnerable crests, I bear a charmed life, which must not yield to one of woman born"..

[Image: ABQ.gif]