• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Danube Front'85
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM by alaric99x.)
RE: Danube Front'85
Al Wrote:I imagaine there a few here who have first-hand experience with this area & time frame. Myself I was stationed in Nurnberg from 82 - 85. Also, the new Tac Nuke rule reminded of when the Pershing-2's & GLCM's were being deployed. There was a lot of protest over that one.

Toujours Pret (always ready), 2d Armored Cav.
Well, I would assume that you had ample opportunity to admire the immaculately maintained forests of Bavaria. I heard you guys spent more time in the field than in garrison.
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2007, 03:31 AM,
If you where in the 2nd Cav you most definitly did spend alot of time in the Bavarian countryside Big Grin 79-83 Toujours Pret Toast
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
12-09-2007, 04:40 AM,
Yes, I spent a lot of time traveling around the Bavarian countryside - about 7 months out of the year we were either on FTX's or doing Border Patrol. One thing that struck me was how dense the forests along the Czech-German border were.
12-09-2007, 05:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2007, 05:23 AM by Tide1.)
The forests where kind of thick. I liked winter nights when the flares would go off because of the cold and frost, then the Czech guards would have to go and see what happened. At least I wasn't the only one awake in the middle of the night Big Grin

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
12-09-2007, 08:14 AM,
Hey Gary. What? Another Cav veteran? Now you guys have me outnumbered. But don't forget in Mannheim we were close to the REFORGER warehouses up in Germersheim, and those Rhein bridges were also primary targets of the Spetsnaz. We were constantly training for that contingency, at least once a year, they probably would have hit us before they even got close to the Cav units on the border. So you guys don't get all the glory, but I'm back in Germany now so if you're ever near Koblenz, stop by and I'll buy you a beer, or two, or three, or whatever you can drink. (I'm sure you remember the German beer)
12-09-2007, 09:52 AM,
IMHO, HPC PzC/MC could benefit from some Strategy options and random events that can create a fresh new set of starting parameters for every game. The WP, for example, could start the game choosing a series of options, which could include things like a commando raid on a port, airfields, inciting a war in the 3rd World, level of nuclear preparation, etc. NATO would also choose from a matrix. There would also be 100 "events" affecting setup and optional rules used which the game would choose randomly from. Then, before the game, these would be all be applied. It would sort of be like how you play World In Flames boardgame, but before hand play the diplomatic game Days of Decision.

As you look at the HPS Gettysburg, they have decisions you make that effect how the battles develop and where. Maybe this system can be ported over to MC/PzC? It seems like all these games would benefit from some uncertainty/fog of war and this would be great for replayability.
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Elxaime Wrote:IMHO, HPC PzC/MC could benefit from some Strategy options and random events that can create a fresh new set of starting parameters for every game. The WP, for example, could start the game choosing a series of options, which could include things like a commando raid on a port, airfields, inciting a war in the 3rd World, level of nuclear preparation, etc. NATO would also choose from a matrix. There would also be 100 "events" affecting setup and optional rules used which the game would choose randomly from. Then, before the game, these would be all be applied. It would sort of be like how you play World In Flames boardgame, but before hand play the diplomatic game Days of Decision.

Actually - I think the first place this was used was in Sicily '43 Camapign called "Rock, Paper, Panzer". I thought it was a really cool idea even though it was a lot of work. But I don't think it really caught on. I never really saw much in the way of disussion on it and while we get bte,btl files sent in with questions, I can't recall seeing this one played more than maybe once.

In any case if someone wants to do this with the Scn editor, they are welcome to do so. The S|O Option now has the ability to include AI Orders tied to an S|O.

Also - keep in mind there are 14 Strategies in the Master Campaign Scn although nothng like Sicily "Rock Paper Panzer". And the very nature of the fightng in this arena is such that the WP wuld know where the Nato units are. And there is still 4 Nato Strategies, but none that have huge setup implications.

One more point - with the 10 WP Strategies in the CG there are enough things that if there was more, it could get more confusing for the WP Player to figure them all out.

Finally, there are 48 scenarios in this title which are designed to give player a challange in AI or HTH, with all sizes and including 8 Campaigns. The game took an awful long time to create and I really couldn't justify more time on this project to make more scns.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM,
Very kind offer Eric :) I do remember the German beer mmmmmmmm Big Grin And the glauwine at the Christmas markets ;)
12-10-2007, 04:52 AM,
A question on nukes: Is there a victory point cost to the side which uses them? I mean is there some reason not to drop a nuke?
12-10-2007, 05:40 AM,
Hiroo,

No, there is no victory point cost. The Soviet are the ones to initiate WMD. Once they do, NATO is free to retaliate. The downside for the Soviets is that NATO has more nukes! So, they have to decide if using their superiority in chemical weapons and their smaller number of nukes is worth unleashing all of NATO's nukes.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”