• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Danube Front'85
12-08-2007, 07:22 AM,
RE: Danube Front'85
The new rules, especially the nukes and non-persistent chemicals, sounds great.

Will the others in the series be upgraded to this standard?

Also, if there are partisans, does this mean the German Home Guard (whatever their name is) will be present?
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2007, 09:06 AM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Will the others in the series be upgraded to this standard?

As with every other rule and every other series Tiller has made for HPS once a changes gets into the game engine it will ripple through the entire series after the next round of updates at some point in the future.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-08-2007, 09:43 AM,
Damn I gotta stop drooling on the keyboard. It'll short out. Eek
I even had to make it priority mail Big Grin The wait will be murder :rolleyes:
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
12-08-2007, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM by Volcano Man.)
Glenn and Marc did an excellent job implementing the tac nuke as a pdt editable value and the non persistent chemicals are icing on the cake. :) I agree with Cpt Cav, the OOB research is awesome and the map expansion by Blackie into Austria and southern Germany is fantastic.

Even better, John made sure to remove the gamey tactic of surrounding an objective with chemicals and preventing its capture (I am sure everyone knows what I mean). In other words, chemicals still cause disruptions when you move in and suffer from a chemical attack, but units which remain a chemical hex can recover from disruption at the expense of not being able to recover fatigue while they remain. So no more surrounding a objective and knowing that the enemy cannot take it in an assault.

DF85 looks like an awesome game, the MC series finally coming to maturity. I can't wait to update Korea '85 with WMD in the next version!
Send this user an email
12-08-2007, 11:15 AM,
This title is very good news for me, I returned to Germany for my 3rd assignment here in '85, this time to Mannheim. Now there's a game that includes all the locations where I was assigned and the places where we went out on field and REFORGER excercises. I've already ordered it, and 6 more PzC games, from my local supplier, Jens Duerkopp, who, incidentally, has been doing a great job filling all my orders for games over here.
12-08-2007, 11:39 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Danube Front'85
As somebody that has primarily played PzC games, this MC title is really an outstanding game and stands up well against any title of either timeframe. I really, really enjoyed playtesting this one especially some of the nain-bitting scenarios such as the Russian airborne drop by Wurzburg which required a desperate Russian attack to link up with them in time before the German panzer division crushed them.

We (well, Glenn Big Grin ) worked really hard on changing the helo rules to avoid some of the gamey play. You will have to experience it yourself, but the use of the helo's will be more realistic as a result. For starters, it will be VERY painful for helo's to fly adjacent to units and attack or to end the turn next to enemy units. Their defense rating was lowered BUT their attacked ratings were increased (some dramatically). This way, there will be a lot of "shooting and scooting" using the helo's longer attack range and popping up to fire off some ATGM's and then back behind the lines for those attack helos. This really how it should be IMHO.

The tac-nukes are a great addition too. In one test I had the WP fire off some 6 tac-nukes in a single turn. I honestly felt bad for bit . . .

I do highly recommend the title.

Marty
12-08-2007, 12:33 PM,
alaric99x Wrote:This title is very good news for me, I returned to Germany for my 3rd assignment here in '85, this time to Mannheim. Now there's a game that includes all the locations where I was assigned and the places where we went out on field and REFORGER excercises. I've already ordered it, and 6 more PzC games, from my local supplier, Jens Duerkopp, who, incidentally, has been doing a great job filling all my orders for games over here.

I imagaine there a few here who have first-hand experience with this area & time frame. Myself I was stationed in Nurnberg from 82 - 85. Also, the new Tac Nuke rule reminded of when the Pershing-2's & GLCM's were being deployed. There was a lot of protest over that one.
12-08-2007, 12:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2007, 02:27 PM by Elxaime.)
Do the rules include the threat that use of tactical nukes will lead to a strategic exchange and end the game?

If so, here is a video clip to add as the end of scenario media:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...&plindex=1
12-08-2007, 01:15 PM,
Elxaime Wrote:Do the rules include the threat that use of tactical nukes will lead to a strategic exchange and end the game?

No - sorry - it does not do that.

I guess the problem with this is the rules have to be in effect equally for all scns - not just a campaign Scn where this might make sense vs. a shorter 10 or 12 turn scn.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-08-2007, 03:35 PM,
Quote:Do the rules include the threat that use of tactical nukes will lead to a strategic exchange and end the game?

There is always that optional nuclear termination rule too. If one side uses NBC in such a way that they cause a major victory after half the game turns have expired then a strategic exchange occurs.
Send this user an email