• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ordeal in the Krinkelterwald Discussion Thread
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM,
Ordeal in the Krinkelterwald Discussion Thread
Here is the discussion thread for Ordeal in the Krinkelterwald. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for taking a look at my scenario and making comments on it.

Game Combat Mission: Afrika Korps
Author Huib
Version 1.0
Filename krinkelterwald.zip
File Size 309.96 kb
Turns 200
SM 10
Type Historical
Scenario Date 16-12-1944
Description Title: Ordeal in the Krinkelter Wald
Type: Assault Operation
Date: December 16-17, 1944
Weather: Cold
Terrain: Dense forests of the Dreiherren and Krinkelter Woods
Wind: Breeze
Turns: 8 battles; 20 turns each, with night fighting
Author: Huib Versloot

Best Played As: H2H or Germans versus AI

Background:

This operation depicts the first two days of the battle for opening of "Rollbahn A" and the twin villages Krinkelt Rocherath. At dawn 16 December Grenadier Regiment 989 of the 277th Volksgrenadier Division attacked through the forest in attempt to break through the American positions to clear the way for the waiting 12th SS Panzer Division. Opposing the Germans in this area was 3rd Batallion 393rd Regiment that was dug in the woods west astride of the International Highway. At the point where the 3rd Batallions line turned northwest, the International Highway turned northeast towards Hollerath. Colonel Allen's Command Post was situated on the east bank of the Jansbach Creek. All day the forests were scene of heavy fighting with Germans infiltrating through the American defense line. By evening the 989th Grenadier Regiment had reached the east bank of the Olef Creek, but they had suffered enormous casualties and many prisoners taken by the Americans. With the onset of darkness, the 989th could no longer continue its attack and stopped to lick its wounds.The Americans had also been hit hard with the 3rd Batallion 393rd Regiment having lost over 300 men. While the German 12th SS moved up to assist the Volksgrenadiers to open "Rolllbahn A" in the late afternoon, Colonel Paul Tuttle's 3rd Batallion of the 23rd Regiment of the 2nd US Infantry Division was attached to the 99th Infantry Division and moved up to establish positions on the westbank of the Jansbach creek. Thus the scene was set for another clash.

Sources:

"The Battle East of Elsenborn & theTwin Villages", W.C.C. Cavanagh.

"The Battle of the Bulge. Holding the Line", H. Wijers

Scenario Added at: 2006-12-28 13:38:38
Games in progress
Huib - Bernard
Finished games:
Bootie - Fubar
Fubar - Bootie
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2007, 06:34 AM,
RE: Ordeal in the Krinkelterwald Discussion Thread
I'm still playing this operation against my brother (Bernard on the ladder). We are almost a year under way (slow turn rate). The Germans are on the edge of Krinkelt/Rocherath and we are now starting the final battle. My observations so far: no major glitches found, just waiting how the end result is calculated in this. A pity nobody else has bothered to give this a try. Beyond doubt it's one of the best maps of all CM scns in existence and one of the most historically accurate.
12-30-2007, 09:14 PM,
i'm going to give this a go againstt the AI to see how it plays that way
12-31-2007, 04:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2007, 04:47 AM by Jobu88.)
Elltee--

Would like to check out your AAR page, but "page cannot be found."

LOL ok that's strange.......when I viewed your post it said "link to my AAR page is...." but when I posted my reply and the page refreshed, no sign of thge "link to my AAR page..." in your original post.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
04-18-2008, 06:31 AM,
As far as I'm concerned this operation can be removed from the H2H testing section. It's been there for 1,5 year and in that time only my brother and I played it. I will make some minor adjustments and then load it up in the regular scenario depot.

Huib
05-02-2008, 08:53 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Ordeal in the Krinkelterwald Discussion Thread
Huib,
Just started this with one of my regular opponents (many thanks for sending me the scenario). I have taken the Yanks.
Lovely map! Such a large front to defend so my boys are spread out thin.... for now :)
Will PM you on how things are working out.