• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TIS and MC aircraft
12-01-2007, 04:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM by Elxaime.)
TIS and MC aircraft
In the OOB editor for NGP 85, I note that aircraft, like all units, have a potential of having Thermal Imaging Sight (TIS) capability. My question is this:

- is the TIS mechanic also applicable to fixed wing aircraft?

- would any NATO or WP fixed-wing air units in operation in 1985 have this capability?

- would any NATO or WP fixed-wing air units in operation in 1989 have this capability?

I noticed in Tazaaron's 1989 variant Bolt From the Blue, the Apache A-64 Longbow units have TIS capability. I am wondering if any other, especially the fixed wing like A-10, would have this.

Also, as a side bonus question, why aren't AC-130 gunships and the like part of NATO airpower? Puff the Magic Dragon style AC had been around since Vietnam.
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: TIS and MC aircraft
I guess it depends on how you look at it, and whether or not TIS flags alter airstrike results at night. I admit that I have not tested it myself. But even if they did, and with the exception of an AC-130 unit as you mention, I don't think that TIS is justified for fixed wing aircraft. IMO, what represents superior avionics and such is the night flag that can be applied to them. The reality is, any fixed wing aircraft that has the ability to fly at night will generally have the same effectiveness as if it were bombing by day so I think the best approach is to just have these more advanced aircraft have much higher attack ratings than lesser capable aircraft, so that they can be more effective at all times.

You mention the Longbow in that scenario as having the TIS capability, however the default non Longbow Apache from 1985 stock scenarios have always had the TIS flag, and rightly so since even the earliest versions was equipped with a FLIR. The difference between the earlier Apaches and the Longbow is that it would have higher hard attack ratings because of the nature of the radar guided fire and forget Hellfire over the laser guided ones (rather than having to continously paint the laser on the target until impact, the Longbow can fire it and fly away or drop back down behind a hill). Then again, this advantage could be represented by only giving the AH-64D a higher defense over the older Apache... so there are a number of ways to represent something. The key is not really how you do it but rather that you model certain advantages.
Send this user an email
12-02-2007, 11:49 AM,
Thanks.

Re the AC-130...is the reason we don't see it in MC because it would be too vulnerable to be used against a conventional opponent like the Warsaw Pact?
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM,
Definately. If air superiority is contested then this aircraft probably wouldn't be able to fly.
Send this user an email
12-05-2007, 07:34 AM,
I agree with Volcano man the survivability of the AC-130 over Europe would not be very long.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way