• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Punic Wars observations
11-26-2007, 08:41 AM,
Punic Wars observations
So far, I am discovering this game system is far more complex than the beginner's guide lets on. There is a rich amount of detail to make this game very interesting.

One thing that is nagging me is the lack of a windows title bar were I can minimize the screen, move it etc. I use a high definition wide screen for playing where I can keep the rules file open as I am learning on the same screen. Sizing the game screen is problematic. Moving it is impossible.
Having the scenario name and designator up there would be a nice touch as in other HPS games.

Does anyone have a scenario where there is an example of LMI or LHI units?
How does the loose formation affect the units performance?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2007, 09:41 AM,
RE: Punic Wars observations
I haven't got the game yet, I have ordered it but the wait for it to arrive is bugging me, still i have been busy reading the updated manual .PDF file.

If by loose formation you mean skirmishing then the manual says this...

Skirmish: Skirmishing is only permitted to LC, LMI or LI not in Column. A skirmishing unit will automatically evade when charged by a non-LI unit. A unit may skirmish forward or in its present position. If skirmishing without moving then the player must right click the unit’s position as its final destination for the command to work.

Here's hoping the postman brings me a parcel tomorrow. :hissy:

cheers
12-02-2007, 02:27 AM,
Woo hoo....Punic Wars arrived today in the post, i've just finished playing the training scenario and suffered a Major defeat. Eek

Think i'll need to get reading the manual again.

I came. I saw. I got soundly beaten. :whis:

cheers
12-06-2007, 03:27 PM,
Re: Post #1 -

The screen can not be minimised because the game runs on a single thread programming concept which does not allow you to multi-task whilst running the Events (action) phase. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in the future. The Scenario Editor does have a Windows top bar to minimise the screen. The main game engine does have a Help menu at the top which gives limited but key information on the units.
LMI are seen in the scenarios against Gaul as Gallic warriors. LHI are not in this game but will be seen in the next game in the series.
'L' stands for 'Loose' formation but is often used as 'Light' in many texts on ancient warfare.

Hope this helps.
12-07-2007, 01:34 AM,
Fubar Wrote:Woo hoo....Punic Wars arrived today in the post, i've just finished playing the training scenario and suffered a Major defeat. Eek

Think i'll need to get reading the manual again.

I came. I saw. I got soundly beaten. :whis:

cheers

Make sure you grab the 1.02 update off the HPS site. I altered the Started scenario there to unfix the Roman units in the rear, which should help your situation. Its a difficult play for the Roman for sure though.