• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A/I Movement Please!!!!
11-24-2007, 11:44 PM,
A/I Movement Please!!!!
Of all the improvements this really needs to be fixed because it would make the bigger games much more playable. We should be able to tell the A/I to move a unit division etc... to point A to point B and to use only road movement! Why this cannot be done is beyond me, but would go a long way in campaign games and would be huge to speed up play etc...Glenn why can this not be done? It is so frustrating to watch your units leave the road and take a route the the forest and then stay there.
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2007, 04:37 AM,
RE: A/I Movement Please!!!!
Titan Wrote:Glenn why can this not be done? It is so frustrating to watch your units leave the road and take a route the the forest and then stay there.

You own France 40? We did it for that game and it is all of them now.
We even provided a sample in the F40 Started Scn on how to show how to use it.
+++

Divisional Movement Orders
Divisional Movement Order is a one-click type of immediate group movement. These Orders are executed immediately during the player’s turn and not during the A/I Movement Phase. Divisional Movement Orders are issued to units from the same Division located in the same or contiguous hexes for the purpose of moving by transport mode toward a designated location.

To initiate a Divisional Movement Order, select any hex containing a unit of the Division, but do not select any actual units in the hex - and then right click on the destination hex while holding down the Alt key. For illustration purposes, use the units in the lower right corner of the #00_Started.scn. Place your cursor on the lead unit as seen in the upper map image and while holding the Alt key, right click on the hex with the red dot. The units will immediately go into Travel Mode and advance toward the selected hex as seen in the image at the left.

These Movement Orders can be issued one hex at a time when you wish to control the exact path taken or to a destination hex several hexes away letting the A/I select the path. Note: Unlike other methods for movement, no unit is to be selected for a Divisional Movement Order and in fact if any unit in the hex is selected, an A/I Movement Order will be issued. See AI Movement Orders in the reference manual.

When a Divisional Movement Order is issued, units in contiguous hexes that contain units of the same Division will automatically move towards the destination hex changing into travel mode and following one another in a column to the extent of their movement allowance. If two or more divisions become mixed or should there be some ambiguity about which unit within a single Division should move next, then a gap will appear in the column. Gaps can be corrected using another Divisional Movement Order on the trailing portion or units of the same Division can be moved using standard movements until they are in the same or contiguous hexes not containing units of other Divisions at which time the Divisional Movement Order can be re-initiated.
Send this user an email
11-25-2007, 05:46 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Divisional Movement Orders
Divisional Movement Order is a one-click type of immediate group movement. These Orders are executed immediately during the player’s turn and not during the A/I Movement Phase. Divisional Movement Orders are issued to units from the same Division located in the same or contiguous hexes for the purpose of moving by transport mode toward a designated location.

To initiate a Divisional Movement Order, select any hex containing a unit of the Division, but do not select any actual units in the hex - and then right click on the destination hex while holding down the Alt key. For illustration purposes, use the units in the lower right corner of the #00_Started.scn. Place your cursor on the lead unit as seen in the upper map image and while holding the Alt key, right click on the hex with the red dot. The units will immediately go into Travel Mode and advance toward the selected hex as seen in the image at the left.

These Movement Orders can be issued one hex at a time when you wish to control the exact path taken or to a destination hex several hexes away letting the A/I select the path. Note: Unlike other methods for movement, no unit is to be selected for a Divisional Movement Order and in fact if any unit in the hex is selected, an A/I Movement Order will be issued. See AI Movement Orders in the reference manual.

When a Divisional Movement Order is issued, units in contiguous hexes that contain units of the same Division will automatically move towards the destination hex changing into travel mode and following one another in a column to the extent of their movement allowance. If two or more divisions become mixed or should there be some ambiguity about which unit within a single Division should move next, then a gap will appear in the column. Gaps can be corrected using another Divisional Movement Order on the trailing portion or units of the same Division can be moved using standard movements until they are in the same or contiguous hexes not containing units of other Divisions at which time the Divisional Movement Order can be re-initiated.

And it is that easy :smoke:

I think the point here is that Titan was suggesting was a routine where you could just give it a destination and order it to only use roads and let it go. I have tried it once in M41, which was after F40, and it was terrible.

It's not difficult to calculate a least time route. A similar routine must be used when the y key is used to show reachable hexes and for calculating supply levels in hexes.

The current method is not very useful. Issuing mini-divisional movement orders at the hex scale, correcting gaps in the column. As it stands it's still easier and safer to just move everything yourself.
11-25-2007, 07:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2007, 07:05 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
FLG Wrote:And it is that easy :smoke:

I think the point here is that Titan was suggesting was a routine where you could just give it a destination and order it to only use roads and let it go.

Well, when I reported the issue - this was what I got to correct it. If that doens't work for you then I am afraid there is not much more I can add - sorry.

Here I thought the post was a request for AI Movement - go figure.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-25-2007, 07:27 AM,
Hey Glenn this is not an insult to anyone but it would greatly increase Playability. It is terriably needed for the campaign games. FLG got it right on what I was talking about. We need a way to move units by road with the A/I to a destination of our chosing. press the F8 button and let the A/I take care of it. It would end up bein one of the best features to come along.

Thanks
11-25-2007, 09:44 AM,
Guys - I didn't read anything in any post about that I would take as an insult.

I read it as a simple request to move units along a road together and the game does have this although I suppose it could be documented a little better.

If was as easy to make yet another type of movement that would work better then I think John would have done it when I asked about it the first time. But I don't write the code so I can't explain why it is not so easy to do.

When we made France 40 I explained to John that we had a game with a lot of units and the need to move those units just like you say - in T mode, stay in T mode and move down the road.

So what you are asking for was exactly what I was asking for. John made the Divisional movement thing and from your original post it wasn't clear if you knew about that.

...but that is all I have to work with.

- You can move one unit one hex at a time
- One unit drop and drag, one at a time
- AI Orders which I don't think anyone would use, and I don't think is really an option.
- Or the Divisional Movement I discribed. Its not perfect or fool proof, but it works if you keep you divisions together and don't mix up counters from different units along a road (which makes perfect sense in real lfe too if you think about it).

Those are the only options we have and I can't really add anything more to this.

Glenn
Send this user an email