• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

B'45...The Reich Strikes Back..Konrad I..18th Mech's early Release
11-13-2007, 08:06 AM,
B'45...The Reich Strikes Back..Konrad I..18th Mech's early Release
I'm playing 1231_02a in a mirrored game.

In the game where I'm the Russians it says the Russian 18th Mech Corp is to be released January 2nd, at 1800 hours.

So you can imagine my suprise in the game where I'm the Germans and lo' and behold who shows up to stomp my 5th SS some 17 hexs from their initial deployment hex at 2200 hours, January 1st.

Thus, they must have been released at 1600 hours on the 1st if they were able to get that far by 2200 hours.

So they were released more than a day ahead of schedual.

Am I missing something here?
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2007, 08:40 AM,
RE: B'45...The Reich Strikes Back..Konrad I..18th Mech's early Release
HirooOnoda Wrote:Am I missing something here?

I don't have an 18th Mech Corp - but if it is the 18th Tank Corps - the release is 2 Jan but it is a triggered release in the 441231_02a Scn. So perhaps the Germans got through to the screen and caused the formation to activate?

It is a difficult thing to make all the units work exactly to history. Some formations are placed FIXED in places where they released instead of having them release in a position and rely on the AI (in some cases) to move the formation where it actually moved to and fought.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-13-2007, 12:48 PM,
I didn't know that there was this special "activation" that would allow a unit frozen to release.

Is there a way one can find out what hexes reached by one side activates some units on the other side?

Thanks,

Hiroo
11-13-2007, 03:52 PM,
If a release is set to be triggered, it means that if any single unit tied to that release gets released by spotting an enemy unit, then the entire formation of units for that release are immediately released. Otherwise, release of fixed units is by each unit spotting an enemy unit. So it it tied to the vis range for the entire formation being released.

As you already know, and possibly planned based on that knowledge, when these units were scheduled to release, it sounds to me like you already have much more foreknowledge of the enemy than would be historical, and this little surprise is appropriate, rather than knowing further exactly where you could move without releasing them.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-14-2007, 05:13 AM,
I look at these games as I would a boardgame. When playing a boardgame don't both sides know when releases occur or reinforcements enter the game?

Secondly, this little "suprise" won't happen again, thus its "appropriateness" is a one-time affair not ever to be replicated by myself in future playings.

I think it is naive to think my opponent doesn't know when my forces are released or come on the map. To play the game against that assumption is to invite defeat.

But you are right, it was a schock and now, as in real life, I have to adjust my attack plans.
11-14-2007, 06:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2007, 06:33 AM by Volcano Man.)
I think the point is, if someone makes such progress as to put them further than historically was the case, then the 18th Tank Corps would have been released or sent and released earlier to counter the threat. The objective is achieved if it keeps you from advancing so far the next time you play it, because you would in a sense be more inclined to have a historical advance rate. It is a creative way to balance a scenario.
Send this user an email
11-14-2007, 09:42 AM,
Thank you VM. Could you tell me where though in the rules they mention this "play-balance" feature?
11-15-2007, 05:28 PM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Thank you VM. Could you tell me where though in the rules they mention this "play-balance" feature?

If your talking about Triggered Releases - it is in the explanations with the Dialogs under Release Dialog. I've added the highlighting for your benefit

+++

"The Release Dialog displays a list of the Fixed unit releases in the current scenario. Each release shows a time, date, probability that the release will occur on that time and date, and the organization the release applies to. When the probability is followed by the letter T, it indicates that the release can also be triggered whenever a unit in the specified organization becomes Spotted. When an asterisk (*) precedes the release, it indicates that the release did not occur on the time and date specified. Selecting an entry in the list of Releases will Highlight the affected units on the map. Double clicking an entry or clicking OK will close the dialog and leave the units Highlighted. Clicking Cancel will close the dialog and remove the Highlighting."

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-16-2007, 03:19 AM,
Thanks Glenn. I did look in the manual but didn't get much information on these triggered releases.

Where do I find the "release" dialog in the game?

Thanks,

Hiroo