• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Explain Range Display
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM,
Explain Range Display
Could someone explain range display to me. This jpg shows a tank with a range of 18, vs hard 18, vs soft 16 but the chart shows an 86 at the top. Where is the math that I must be missing?

thanks

Attached Files
.jpg   range.JPG (Size: 327.82 KB / Downloads: 28)
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2007, 01:25 AM,
RE: Explain Range Display
The vertical axis is the attack factor. The horizontal axis is the range. In your chart, the blue line drops to zero on the vertical axis at ranges 17-18 because it can only attack soft targets up to range 16. It's better to hit F5 and look at the raw weapons data instead of the range display IMO.
11-05-2007, 01:40 AM,
My question is how does the hard 18 go up to 86?
11-05-2007, 01:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2007, 01:52 AM by Jason Petho.)
Well, but the looks of the things, since this is the T64B and that tank has a missile, the designer is compensating for both systems in the target values. Hence the distinctive jump from 84 to off the chart at a few hexes away. Since the missile is designed for anti-tank purposes, the soft target value drops off at longer range (where the main gun is no longer factored into the calculations.)

Excellent effort for the designer.

I am also creating all of the NATO/Warsaw Pact forces - tis rather challenging indeed.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-05-2007, 02:04 AM,
I'm currently getting hammered by Leos with attack of 150+ to defend ~50 before modifier.

Maybe a WWII example. RS Japanese infantry with 6SP has a soft of 3 but range shows a max of 7 at one hex. So it's not SP times attack (6x3=18)
11-05-2007, 05:08 AM,
I think I am confusing range with firepower.

I am thinking that the vs hard and vs soft are hit points but they are max hexes. Correct? If so, sorry to be so...
11-05-2007, 05:44 AM,
Junk,

Yes, you are confusing the two. vs Hard 18 is the max range against hard targets. vs Soft 16 is the max range against soft targets. When you pull up the range display. You can see that at ranges greater than 17, the vertical blue line drops to zero. That is because, as stated previously, the max range against soft targets is 16. Hit F5 and then compare the numbers to the display. It should make sense then. 86 represents the attack factor, and the attack factor will go up or down (usually down) as your range increases from left to right.

Jim
11-05-2007, 06:28 AM,
Thanks

I started playing RS years ago. Not much in RS long range. I saw

range 3
vs hard 1
vs soft 3

and must have got it in my head that it was an AF of 1 at range of 3.