• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ATGM Ambush..video and question
10-28-2007, 11:07 AM,
ATGM Ambush..video and question
I've been thinking of picking up this game, albeit on the cheap after the horrific reviews I've read of this game.

From this in-game video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKzJuv0dn9A

I have this question. Standard Soviet infantry ATGM tactics call for the launcher to be behind a berm or just "hull-down" while only the operator's head remains "visible" guiding the missile to target. Yet in the video the launcher and launch team are horribly exposed to suppression fire.

Can on in this game duplicate the "hull-down" aspect of the ATGM launch?

Thanks,

Hiroo
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2007, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM by von Nev.)
RE: ATGM Ambush..video and question
Hey Hiroo,

I don't think it can as they can't do hull down with tanks. The Battlefront forums still have numerous examples posted even with patch 1.04 where tanks shoot through hills (yes hills) and walls and buildings and LOS is still all jacked up with infantry on higher buildings not being above to engage enemy on lower buildings even if the building is right next door.

Originally Battlefront was blasting everyone about how great 1:1 representation was now it looks like that is a major, major problem with respect to LOS and engaging through cover as the terrain is not 1:1. You think that somebody is under cover only to find that the terrain that you are thinking covers you does not actually "extend" that far in the gaming model and for "engagement" purposes your soldier is actually standing out in the open. The end results are predictable. As a gamer you have no idea where these "holes" in the terrain are.

I too was going to buy it on the cheap then the continual horror stories on LOS and terrain just made it not worth it as I would stop playing it anyway. I believe that BFC is considering another patch but they think it playable and are having their coder work on the Marine module.

Just my $0.02.

Marty
10-28-2007, 10:11 PM,
I'd tell you to save your money and wait for something worthwhile, but I'm biased a wee bit and I "just don't get it", as the BFC owner told me.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-29-2007, 06:14 AM,
Take your family out, it's money much better spent, you'll get far more enjoyment out of that than Shock Farce Big Grin
I am proud to be British but I thank god that I am Welsh
10-29-2007, 09:07 AM,
Taking my family out doesn't satisfy one's "blood lust" that these games provide me.

The problem isn't solved. ;->
10-29-2007, 10:09 AM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Taking my family out doesn't satisfy one's "blood lust" that these games provide me.

neither will Shlock Farce...
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-29-2007, 11:39 AM,
Even with bugs, Shock Force kicks combat mission ass!

It gets better with each patch too. My advice, screw these guys and try it out for yourself.

RedMike...out
10-29-2007, 09:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2007, 09:50 PM by RedDevil.)
I'd try the Demo, before spending any money it is a true representation of the game and you need not support BFC to find out for yourself, like hundreds of others did.

a quick look at the ladder for CM SF will give you an idea of the popularity, Even RM hasn't joined it. :)
10-29-2007, 10:05 PM,
RedMike Wrote:Even with bugs, Shock Force kicks combat mission ass!

It gets better with each patch too. My advice, screw these guys and try it out for yourself.

RedMike...out

Hi Hiroo....unfortunately the antipathy felt by the majority of posters towards CMSF and Battlefront in general not only on this forum but others too, has generated an almost equally rabid reaction from the BF fan-boys club, of which the above poster is obviously a fully paid up member.

My honest advice to you would be to download the demo and see what u think. My personal opinion of SF is that its a bug-ridden, 24 karat turkey which wouldnt have even made a blip on the radar screen if Battlefront hadnt been famously responsible for the original CM series. But by all means dont let what is only a personal opinion of mine cloud yer judgement.....the proof of the pudding is in the eating after all!

- falco.
10-30-2007, 12:38 AM,
Thanks guys, I think I'll pass on this game, unless it comes down to $9.99 or something.

I don't believe in rewarding poor programming. Or is it criminal programming?