• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rating scenarios without any self reflection
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM,
RE: Rating scenarios without any self reflection
Hawk,

It's not about praise. It's about the difference between criticism and disrespectful comments. If Ed thinks this is the way to give constructive criticism on a scenario, I have the right to bring such behaviour to attention and give us something to think about.

/H
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2007, 01:08 AM,
Huib Wrote:Hawk,

It's not about praise. It's about the difference between criticism and disrespectful comments. If Ed thinks this is the way to give constructive criticism on a scenario, I have the right to bring such behaviour to attention and give us something to think about.

/H

Let me refresh you on what you said. Let us count the threats in it shall we? I will bold them for easy counting.

Huib Wrote:I must say it's really motivating to keep designing scenarios when you read some comments on scenarios. Makes one want to withdraw all scns here instantly. and like Earl, give the scn files only to those who appreciate them.

See the latest comments on "Battle of the Outposts" there for everybody to see....

Well I have no wish to hang around here any longer.

2 threats to the community at large. No where in your post is anything about scenario comment dialogue. What you said in a nutshell is:

Someone made a bad comment to me. I am leaving and taking my toys with me.

That is bad form Huib period.

If you wish to engage in scenario comment etiquette great, but threats don't go over well. They make you look bad.

And for the record Earl stopped posting scenario files because he got tired of people modifying them. It had nothing to do with people making negative comments at all.

As for me: I don't like all of your scenarios. I find some of them very tedious. Slogging through mud and flooded terrain at a snails pace is not my cup of tea. It gets boring. That being said I do like them all in terms of accuracy and maps. I will continue to play each and every one of your scenarios even the ones I don't like.

Why? Because you have my respect as a scenario designer.

That is all you can ask for from the club. Nothing more. Stop worrying about the comments. Look at the number of times your sceanios are dowloaded and played. That tells you more than anything what people think of you as a scenario designer.

Thanx!

Hawk
10-24-2007, 04:52 AM,
Huib Wrote:Hawk,

It's not about praise.

Sure seemed like it to me. :dunno:

Quote:It's about the difference between criticism and disrespectful comments.

LOL! An honest opinion is only disrespectful when the person who is the target of the opinion thinks more of themselves than of others?
I thought the scenario was not good and I stated my reasons for why I thought that way. I rated it accordingly.
Up until you posted your whine, it was all about the scenario and my reasons for lack of enjoyment. Now it is about you?
How can anyone disrespect a "thing", ie. a scenario in a game? :chin:

Quote:If Ed thinks this is the way to give constructive criticism on a scenario, I have the right to bring such behaviour to attention and give us something to think about.

"Ed" thinks that the only questionable behavior here is yours.
If Ed saved players who do not like foot slogging one sided scenarios from wasting their time, then Ed has done them a service.
If Ed caused players to select that scenario for their next game and they actually like it, Ed has also done them a service.
There are plenty who think Ed's opinions stink, maybe all will try the scenario to prove Ed wrong. The funny thing it may show that they like scenarios Ed does not like. But, it will not change Ed's opinion about that scenario.

Ed thinks you need to find a way to check your ego at the door. Violin

As Hawk wrote: "Stop worrying about the comments. Look at the number of times your scenarios are dowloaded and played. That tells you more than anything what people think of you as a scenario designer."

cheers
10-24-2007, 07:17 AM,
“This has to be the worst scenario I have ever played.” ..from a player with 929 logged games. :chin:

RoadRunner, I don’t think it would hurt if you were somewhat less harsh in your comments since you’re a veteran player, moderator, pillar of the CS community and so on. Your words carry a lot more weight than those of the Blitz rank-and-file (myself included).

There's no need to overanalyze Huibs original post. It was clearly posted in anger and when all is said and done, it’s only a game.
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
10-24-2007, 07:24 AM,
I think if a scenario is being tested in the h2h productions, the playtester has an obligation to try and provide constructive criticism. That is the whole point of playtesting, to improve the scenario before general release.

However, if you are simply playing a scenario that you picked off that ladder for a game, than a comment might be intended as a suggestion to the designer on how to improve it, or it could be intended as a recommendation to play it or not for other members of the club, or a bunch of other reasons. The tone and content of those comments would be quite different.

Mike
10-24-2007, 07:37 AM,
Huib, my friend!

Now I know to what you are referring to. In my opinion it's great, small sized infantry battle - of course I'm biased here, as I realy like infantry encounters :chin: - but does it mean that no other opinions are valid?

NO!

I remember myself reading comments on one of my scenarios. I said, :censored: if the results show almost equal number of wins on each side... but afterwards I reflected myself. That was the player's opinion, his opinion, his view of the battle... NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT I LIKE. And I have to live with that :smoke:

For me Blitz is great Club, because anyone can express his opinions. we don't have to agree in order to appreciate ones work.
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
10-24-2007, 07:54 AM,
zeiss Wrote:“This has to be the worst scenario I have ever played.” ..from a player with 929 logged games. :chin:

It's my opinion? I stand by it. :rolleyes:
Take a look at the over 900 games I played. Except for trying out a few by chance from those not played in the d-BASE, this one was offered to me as a PBEM game blind.
It stands with those I would never play again.

Quote:RoadRunner, I don’t think it would hurt if you were somewhat less harsh in your comments since you’re a veteran player, moderator, pillar of the CS community and so on. Your words carry a lot more weight than those of the Blitz rank-and-file (myself included).

I should actually not have more weight born by my comments. I stand in line and fall behind those who have better win/loss ratios.
But, I do see your point and will take it under advisement. :smoke:

Quote:There's no need to overanalyze Huibs original post. It was clearly posted in anger and when all is said and done, it’s only a game.

It was also something that long time members here have seen before. The last time he went into the d-BASE and removed his scenarios. This one was from the Matrix release and cannot be removed. :chin:
Whether angry or not, threatening to remove his scenarios because one person found one scenario to be a terrible experience, is a little off the chart.
I'm just glad that the artists are not near when I walk through the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Some would get a real earful. ;)

cheers
10-24-2007, 08:41 AM,
Now no arguaments here just my point of view on this one.I for one appreciate ALL work done by members who take the time to bring out new scenarios for members etc to play.Now the downside please dont take all negative comments to heart maybe they just want it rebalanced a little more turns more units less units etc.I think they whole idea of playtesting is to get the scenario up to a decent level where both sides have a fair chance of winning.This obviously cant take into account someone like Oberst playing a Rookie but its meant for the average player i think.The whole idea of H2H Testing is to get feedback on the scenario and make changes if needed.Now the H2H section ASKS for comments on the game ie to large is the map look ok etc so they are put in to try and help the Hard working desingers improve their work.Granted any nasty ones shouldnt be included(not refering to this post) just in general.
10-24-2007, 08:54 AM,
We should all respect each others opinions and resolve to not take the manner in which they are given personally.

Each to his own, lets not disparage or retaliate amongst ourselves and work towards a mutual understanding that our diversity is a part of the formula that makes this club work.

Egos aside, you are all good people and together you all make a great club. Sharing thoughts and ideas on etiquettes of conduct for some areas of the Club should be in the best interests of ALL involved and not just to satisfy the whims of any 1 of you.

Truth hurts, but honesty breeds integrity & honor. I'd much rather be known as The Blitz Club that provides such worthiness in its members and their efforts, than one that simply mocks or gives false pretense.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-26-2007, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-26-2007, 03:51 AM by Hobbes.)
I think giving the scenario designer a text box to be able to respond to player comments would be a great addition to the site. It's frustrating to see a comment against a scenario that you think unfair but not be able to respond to it. I would love to be able to do this in response to some comments left by Huib himself on the 'Cross of Lorraine' scenario which I think are far off the mark!

As an aside one odd thing I see is that the 2 scenarios I posted on the Wargamer site now have over 3,000 downloads recorded against them.
Huib you have even more - who are these people that are downloading the scenarios?

Cheers, Chris