• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defeating the M3 Grant in 1942
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM,
RE: Defeating the M3 Grant in 1942
@ Leto: your nr. 1 observation/advice is not confirmed by the test carried out by POS. Appearently they DO fire their 75mm gun when hulldown. Did you test it yourself or is it your experience that Grants do not fire their 75mm gun when hulldown ?

In general: if they fire the 75 mm when hulldown, are they themselves vulnerable to low frontal armour hits when hulldown ? Or do tehy only benefit from this glitch in CMAK ?
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2007, 03:03 AM,
RE: Defeating the M3 Grant in 1942
BertBlitzkrieg (FGM) Wrote:@ Leto: your nr. 1 observation/advice is not confirmed by the test carried out by POS. Appearently they DO fire their 75mm gun when hulldown. Did you test it yourself or is it your experience that Grants do not fire their 75mm gun when hulldown ?

In general: if they fire the 75 mm when hulldown, are they themselves vulnerable to low frontal armour hits when hulldown ? Or do tehy only benefit from this glitch in CMAK ?

What I am seeing is very hard to interpet. The 37mm gun appears to be firing in sync with the 75mm gun, or the firing from the 75mm gun is masked by the fire plume of the 37mm firing. As I cannot see the enemies ammo loads, it is hard to discern. I would think that if it were the case that one or the either was firing, the 37mm would be firing a lot faster than the 75mm, causing sporadic firing plumes that could be easily registered on each... not the case.

Since none of my tanks have died, and all hits bounced, I assume I am only taking 37mm fire, but I will look again.

EDIT: I took another look, and the tanks sound like they are firing the 75, but it is only the 37 that is graphically firing. This may be for many reasons. The tanks AI chooses the AP type and gun, depending on what they feel can do the job most effectively. If the gunners in the M3's do not think that the 75 can penetrate the frontal turret armour of the PZ III at range, the 37 will fire and try to get a gun hit, even if it has less of a chance for penetration. The computer calculates chance for "effect" rather than kill.

That's my theory.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply