• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Just purchased TOAW III
10-15-2007, 09:47 PM,
Just purchased TOAW III
Guys ...

I've just purchased a copy of TOAW III and have a couple of questions ---

1. What updates do I need to add .. ?

2. Can I download older TOAW II, COW scenarios and play them OK -- I ask this because I saw a lot of scens I'd like to play on the Rugged Defence website ..?

3. Could someone give me a rough idea on the games' leaning curve .. ?

Cheers

Spud (from CS ladder)
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2007, 10:40 PM,
RE: Just purchased TOAW III
Welcome Spud!

1. Just the latest patch from the Matrix website as all their patches are "inclusive" (which is just great and a lesson to other companies)

2. Yes, see various threads above and below but basically you have to open your downloaded scen in the TOAW3 scen editor and save it in the correct folder and voila! Very old scenarios may cause problems but nothing is impossible sopost if you run into anything that doesnt work.

3. Depending on your wargames experience the learning curve can be steep, hardest to come to terms with seems to be combat rounds and variable turn ending. On the plus side the AI gives a better battle now so you can practice in private and lots of people here on the MB (including myself) will willingly give you a coached game on or off ladder as you prefer. Warning note, a lot of the strategy guides etc tht you will find on the net were written for earlier versions of the game and are not 100% accurate, though a lot of the principles remain the same.

Hope that helps,

Contact me fluidwill at yahoo dot com
10-16-2007, 05:18 PM,
Many thanks for prompt rely ....

Plan to sit down this weekend sometime and explore the game.

Will be up for a PBEM game sometime in coming weeks ....

Oh ... do you have any recomendations for best scenarios to play in order to get a grasp of TOAW's many complexities .. ?

Cheers

Spud
10-16-2007, 11:11 PM,
I would add to Fluidwill's excellent reply, that if you're downloading scenarios from Rugged Defense, the ones marked "COW" ("Century of Warfare") will convert easily and directly to TOAW III; older ones first have to be converted to work in COW, and several of us here can do that for you. You basically have to have the latest version of the old game (TOAW I, II, etc) to convert them.

On scenarios to practice with, the TOAW III CD has a scenario folder with "tutorials" in it, that would be a good place to start. These are to be played while consulting the ".doc" files which are included in the same folder.

Welcome to TOAW!!!
10-22-2007, 11:02 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Just purchased TOAW III
Aside from the tutorials, Arracourt 44 is fairly tiny and a good place to start testing armour, arty and infantry. Best to get to grips with defense first before you launch that Ardennes Offensive, since I think you really have to understand what you have to beat as a defense before you attempt an attack.

WWI scenarios are IMO great for getting to understand the basics of a good defense. I think any Todd Klemme scenario is a good 'Beer and Pretzels' deal (e.g. Balkans 12/13) though not so PO-optimized and you might want to advertise for a PBEM opponent. As mentioned, lots of folks will happily help you onto the learning curve. Just post what you'd like to do and someone will reply.

Good luck!
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM,
Spud Wrote:Many thanks for prompt rely ....

Plan to sit down this weekend sometime and explore the game.

Will be up for a PBEM game sometime in coming weeks ....

Oh ... do you have any recomendations for best scenarios to play in order to get a grasp of TOAW's many complexities .. ?

Cheers

Spud

If you fancy learning how to blitzkreig succesfully try playing France 40 as the Germans :).

If you want to play, I will happily be the French !;)
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
10-23-2007, 08:54 PM,
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:If you fancy learning how to blitzkreig succesfully try playing France 40 as the Germans :).

That's a generous offer. Spud, I'd take it. You're quite likely to whip him. :cool2:
10-24-2007, 04:21 AM,
Heldenkaiser Wrote:
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:If you fancy learning how to blitzkreig succesfully try playing France 40 as the Germans :).

That's a generous offer. Spud, I'd take it. You're quite likely to whip him. :cool2:

He would ... !:whis:
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West