• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Warsaw Pact Plans
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2007, 08:56 PM by Michal.)
RE: Warsaw Pact Plans
The revealing of that plan isn't a big sensation as the article states.
It took place in 2005 and was rather a political happening...

I suppose the uncovered plan was just the fruit of the one of the numerous wargames played in Polish HQ in late 70's.
I'm not sure it was even consulted with Soviets.
And surely it was not considered as a official WP war plan.

But, talking about the war plans:

1. Almost each WP war plan assumed reaching the line of Dutch border and Rhine River in one week. In general they all were quite similar. Targets and main directions of the attack were roughly the same. The plans differ mainly in organisation of fronts and tasks assigned to particular units.

2. Official Polish war plans assumed using Polish troops to attack on Western Europe as a part of Warsaw Pact’s response to a hypothetical attack by NATO on Eastern Europe (also the mentioned plan). I'm sure reality could be totally different...

3. Poland wasn't considered to be reliable Soviet ally.
So, I think:
- Soviet generals wouldn't allow to create separate Polish front (especially in '80 - time of "Solidarity" movement) - the Soviet rule of a limited trust!
- Own front was only a dream of Polish ambitious generals - although Poland had the second army in WP!
- East-German troops would be used in Nothern Germany in first wave of an attack rather than Polish armies.
Quote this message in a reply