• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Who will win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
POS
29.41%
5 29.41%
the other one!
70.59%
12 70.59%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Biggest Challenge of the 21st century : The battle between POS & ????
09-24-2007, 07:59 AM,
RE: The Biggest Challenge of the 21st century : The battle between POS & ????
Bootie Wrote:Hell I wouldnt red clicky someone who was entertaining would I??
Of course not! But if you did, it would be the only thing to break the old nag's canter.
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM,
Im sure he would find something to watch on TV.
09-24-2007, 08:51 AM,
Tanker Wrote:Onion Wars, Onion Wars, Onion Wars. That should do it.:)
There's always one :mad::mad::mad: :cheeky:
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM,
here's a suggestion... unless you already came to an agreement in the last 2 pages that I didn't bother reading... but I doubt it.

pick a map, not a scenario. set up some flags, even dynamic flags near the middle or obvious landmarks of value. and then pos and whoever pick their own forces to try and capture the key points of the battlefield. it'll be just like real war. you know what you're after and what force you bringing but you don't know what the other guy is bringing or what object he's after.
does he want the bridge? or the hill? I don't know. maybe you should attack one or both?
see, uncertainy. and if you show up with the wrong force for the battle, it's your own fault because you knew the terrain and you knew anything could be on the otherside of that map. No restrictions. weather should be pre determined incase air support desired or not.
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM,
bluehand Wrote:here's a suggestion... unless you already came to an agreement in the last 2 pages that I didn't bother reading... but I doubt it.

pick a map, not a scenario. set up some flags, even dynamic flags near the middle or obvious landmarks of value. and then pos and whoever pick their own forces to try and capture the key points of the battlefield. it'll be just like real war. you know what you're after and what force you bringing but you don't know what the other guy is bringing or what object he's after.
does he want the bridge? or the hill? I don't know. maybe you should attack one or both?
see, uncertainy. and if you show up with the wrong force for the battle, it's your own fault because you knew the terrain and you knew anything could be on the otherside of that map. No restrictions. weather should be pre determined incase air support desired or not.

Ummm...no.

Unless you just showed up in an area 5 minutes ago you have a real good idea what your enemy has. You have a real good idea what's important to him. You know where most of his troops are. You have a good idea of how competent the troops and the commander are.

QB's are nothing like a real life situation.

Good Hunting.

MR
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM,
bluehand Wrote:here's a suggestion... unless you already came to an agreement in the last 2 pages that I didn't bother reading... but I doubt it.

Unless POS can control every aspect of the game, negate any surprises, and know exactly what you have, he will not accept this kind of challenge, even though he accepts all challenges.

All the greatest generals did this, don't you know.

Rommel always made sure that the Tommies gave him an exact force list and also whined and cried until they dropped AT guns from their frontlines (well, the guns hurt his tanks very badly, the tanks he liked to keep in close formation because they worked so well against other tanks that way... it just didn't work against guns, you see).

Patton made it a regular function to routinely inspect the Germans forces so that he could route out ghey infantry, and thus not have to worry about a potato masher getting chucked into the hatch of a Sherman to damage his armor.

Zhukov was known to sit in a corner and sulk until the Germans allowed him to look at their maps, and OOB's and forced them to drop panzerfausts from their infantrymen because they blew up his glorious tanks. There also was an incident where he was fed rancid bacon, got sick and had to crap in an old ladies dust bin... wait... that was somebody else... not Zhukov.

The list goes on. You see, the best generals always accept a challenge and never back down. They just only fought them if they thought they could win and it was lots of fun for them.

We all now holy men don't do humility.

; )

Cheers!

Leto
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2007, 01:57 PM by McIvan.)
Mad Russian Wrote:Ummm...no.

Unless you just showed up in an area 5 minutes ago you have a real good idea what your enemy has. You have a real good idea what's important to him. You know where most of his troops are. You have a good idea of how competent the troops and the commander are.

QB's are nothing like a real life situation.

Good Hunting.

MR
[/quote]

Actually I vehemently disagree with this. Maybe under ideal circumstances, in situations where troops had been in place for some time, and they had won the battle of the patrols or had enemy positions under reasonable observation.

But my reading of WWII is full of examples of mounting full scale attacks with no real idea, in the tactical sense, of what lay ahead of them. A situation when, for example, you crack the front line and keep advancing....practically anything you run into from then on will be completely unknown to you. Or where you've advanced to the enemy the day before, halting when the lead scouts get scythed down by an MG, and then mounting a hasty attack or a formal attack the next day. Fast moving columns....no way they know accurately what's in front of them other than maybe "enemy troops there".

I can't imagine battalion commanders routinely having the info you describe unless they'd been in static positions for quite some time.
09-24-2007, 12:34 PM,
Hey POS,

I got a scenario for you. Designed it myself, and plenty of elite armor. Here's a screenshot:

[Image: POS.jpg]

I'll play you in ANY scenario, as long as it's this one. I'll let you pick ANY SIDE YOU WANT, as long as it's Americans. With me so willing to be open to ANY PARAMETERS YOU WANT, as long as I get to pick them, I don't know how you could refuse my challenge. Or are you too busy beating newbies and not reporting the games?

And no, I am not on crack, mate.
09-24-2007, 01:58 PM,
Well you're on something. My sar-chasm-o-meter jumped off the scale :)
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM,
Time to finish this one up and switch to the Pothman thread methinks...