• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Phantom Artillery
09-24-2007, 06:41 AM,
RE: Phantom Artillery
alaric99x Wrote:Please don't think I'm being critical, the scenario is superb in all respects.

No - not at all - and sorry if my post sounded that way too.

It was a fair question - one which I guess I thought some other people covered, but that wasn't "a designer either.

I guess too, it is hard to recall all the details of why something was done in a game made a few years ago when there has been so much other research done since then.

Quote:Using them really does make a difference,...

OK - I guess no one has raied the point before and unless it is a problem, I'd be inclined to not "fix" it. But if it is - send me a BTL file illustrating the situation and then I can look at the details and ensure that the correct thing is fixed.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2007, 08:18 AM,
No, I don't consider it a problem and wouldn't suggest a fix. I posted before that I started this scenario 5 times now and it works just fine. This could only be an issue in PBEM and, in that case, the players should just agree to leave these art. units in travel mode and not use them until they are released.

That was my question and you gave me the designer's intent, I'm happy to follow that advice.
09-24-2007, 09:11 AM,
alaric99x Wrote:No, I don't consider it a problem and wouldn't suggest a fix.

No worries - and one important thing when it comes down to something like this - one must really look at a BTL file with hex IDs.

I am just looking at the Scn now and I know when I was "thinking" of the units being on the map edge but really behind the lines - those units would be in T-mode.

Units in Scn Scn #0510_01,
such as Art.Abt.604 in 359,90
or IV./AR.251
...are NOT in T mode - they are intended to be available.

Whereas units IN T Mode and ON or very near the edge like those in 360,12 and 361,14 could easily be OFF map and out of range moving forward.

Look for T mode as teh guide to whether the units should be available.

Glenn

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-25-2007, 02:58 AM,
Thanks for checking this out, I know what art. to use next time and I'll certainly use only available ones if I ever do PBEM with this scenario.

Right now I'm at 1000 hrs on day 2 of this scenario, I'm trying to do one game turn a day. I've got recon and some armor scouting ahead for unblown bridges. Whole sectors of the front are empty while engineers frantically try to establish crossings so that units can get in there and clear them of enemy. In other cases, formation that have found unblown bridges are doubling back with some units and searching for enemy in uncleared sectors while other units move ahead and scout for more crossings and enemy. In most sectors everyone is waiting for the infantry to come up and the infantry, in many cases, is waiting for the engineers to establish crossings.

The whole experience gives me a completely different view of this campaign, fascinating.
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM,
You will get another "new experience" when you play against a live player vis PBEM.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM,
You mean against a real human with a functioning brain? I'm not ready for that yet, I'm still learning the system.

...although playing the AI is a little bit like getting into a fist fight with a quadraplegic.