• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenario disaster
10-05-2007, 01:01 PM,
Scenario disaster
I've altered scenario's plenty of times and thought I knew all the pitfalls. I was modifying the K43 full campaign. Only minor changes to the OOB. No units added just changes to existing units. I worked on one army at a time, north to south, German and Russian. Frequently I opened the editor, occasionally the main program, to check. Everything was OK. Finally I got to Armee Abt Kempf and the PDT. When I next opened the editor, I got the dreaded 'File not read'. No scenario will open in the editor, no scenario can be played. Any ideas on how to get back to working order? A weeks work down the tubes and months and months of OOB organising. I can't bear the idea of just starting over.
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2007, 01:22 PM,
RE: Scenario disaster
If you would like, email me the files involved and I will check it out - no idea without actually seeing the files first, unfortunately.

rbancroftATatt.net
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-05-2007, 02:49 PM,
Richrd Wrote:Only minor changes to the OOB. No units added ...

You can add all the units to the OOB you like - that won't hurt.

Quote:just changes to existing units.

And this is where you ran into problems

let me explain in hopes that it helps you or other people out.

NEVER DELETE a UNIT in the Editor. You see each unit in the game has and ID number - might be something like "1234567"

The Scn and the Scn editor doesn't know anything about any units - it does however know about ID #1234567.
And if you delete #1234567 and the Scn wants to place that unit and can't find it - it gives you the dreaded error you mention. So rather than DELETE the unit from the OOB rename it XXXX. Then remove the unit XXXX from all the Scn(s)

And if you COPY #1234567 using the editor, then the number changes too. #1234567 might become #8765432.
...same error will occur!

So you have two options here - depending on the situation.
- You can OPEN the OOB in a text editor and carefully copy the section from one place to another place in the OOB. You need to get a feel for where to start and end the cut.

- the second way is like the deleted unit thing. Rename the unit(s) you wanted to move - call them XXXXX and then open the Scn editor - remove them. Then place the new units you copied to the other place in the oob on the map.

Basically there is no MOVING units in the OOB editor. That is what causes the error message.

hope it helps you and others understand it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM,
Thank you for the offer Ricky B, but in a fit of pique I uninstalled the whole game. I'll just restart and write a new OOB from scratch. Glenn, I hope to follow up on this in a little more detail when I get a little more time.