• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can a T-80 get airborne ?
09-11-2007, 09:09 AM,
RE: Can a T-80 get airborne ?
It's a common misconception about the game that nothing can block TI. The truth is that TI can be blocked in WinSPMBT.
Just did a test for different blocking methods; enough to block TI were:
6 burning AFV's in a row
OR
7 hexes of fresh full smoke
OR
3 fire hexes.

Test was done for 2003 with M1A2SEP's as spotters with visibility at 50 and the spotted vehicles at less than 1000m.

In other words, if enough hexes with some amount of smoke/fire effects are between TI and target the view will be blocked.

As Shortreengage pointed out, TI is in some ways NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH in the game. The current configuration (including the huge additional cost for equiping a unit with TI) has been considered as giving the best overall performance for TI with regards to how it works in reality and what is possible within the game engine.
And don't forget, the game is constructed around an engine originally designed for a fairly simple (compared to what it is now) ww2 game. It is more or less tweaked to it's limits now.

Narwan
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM by KraMax (SPR).)
Some Russian tanks use a special covering under the name - "NAKIDKA". She allows the tank to be almost invisible for TI. Cost of this covering - very small in comparison about cost TI.

http://www.btvt.narod.ru/5/rogatka/rogatka.htm

Open the site. To see this covering - open pictures on full screen (click on pictures).
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM by RedDevil.)
nice pics

these are great for up close details, will be sure to reference this when I get a T72 Model :)

Dev's models link
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-11-2007, 10:56 PM,
KraMax (SPR) Wrote:Some Russian tanks use a special covering under the name - "NAKIDKA". She allows the tank to be almost invisible for TI. Cost of this covering - very small in comparison about cost TI.

http://www.btvt.narod.ru/5/rogatka/rogatka.htm

Open the site. To see this covering - open pictures on full screen (click on pictures).

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about real-life cost of TI but the huge in-game points cost of TI. That is a big part of balacing the game.

Real costs are not taken into account in the game at all.
09-12-2007, 12:53 AM,
Weasel Wrote:Now with that said you can say to your armoured friend, from an ex tank driver, that tanks can win ground, but only infantry can hold it. Without infantry both tanks and artillery are beat.

TI is nice, but if the infantry are moving using dead ground like they should then the TI isn't going to pick up squat. As for the arty, well all arty needs a FOO to spot for them, and what does a FOO need to cover his ass? INFANTRY!

My pal was actually selected for what we call a "company artillery commander", essentially the vehicle commander of the FO type CV90 (the "dummy gun version") responsible for guiding indirect support for the company, during his initial conscription round.

If one was to go looking one would find equally confident statements from leg infantry units..... and Sweden did rely heavily on infantry formations during the cold war - the wisdom of that has been questioned, especially since they had limited offensive capability, while at the same time pretty much all field manuals stress the phrase "only thorugh attack can a decision be forced."
09-12-2007, 01:39 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:Dev's models link

Your panther is a good example how a little camo paint can distort the shape ... and I didn't even recognize the AC, German, 234/4 perhaps? Those are 1/72 models, right?
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
09-12-2007, 03:43 AM,
That is pretty cool. I am always impressed by how low to the ground the Soviets built their tanks. They have them sitting besides M60s in Borden and man, the M60 is a building compared to the T72.

Hey Vesa, you feeling better now? Did you get to watch the Super Series? I feel really bad for the Russian kids, poor coaching made them look bad and now they are being blamed for it.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-12-2007, 03:52 AM,
Vesku Wrote:
RedDevil Wrote:Dev's models link

Your panther is a good example how a little camo paint can distort the shape ... and I didn't even recognize the AC, German, 234/4 perhaps? Those are 1/72 models, right?

Yes the tanks are all 1/72 scale, the planes are all 1/35 except for the corsair.
the AC is indeed a 234/4 but sadly it got crushed under the foot of a giant by accident and was not repairable..:(
it now lives on as parts in my junk box

I've gotten better over the years with the painting as the extra track pieces on that Panther shouldn't be so shiny and camo-ed in reality :P

I have 3 more models of Panthers to finish up so perhaps I will get them to look even better.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-12-2007, 03:58 AM,
what do you do with all those things? I thought at first maybe they were GHQ miniatures for wargaming, but you state they are 1/72 size.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-12-2007, 04:06 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Can a T-80 get airborne ?
Not to be outdone, here is a Canadian Leopard engaging in mid flight.

[Image: staunch1.jpg]