• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bombing height
09-11-2007, 06:25 AM,
RE: Bombing height
"There was a recent post where the Allied players equivalent of Taffy 58, repulsed a 1,000 plane strike (carrier planes launched from land bases, I believe) without 1 leaker. "

This is historical and was the result of the 1st battle of the Philippine Sea, as I recall. von ege :smoke:
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2007, 08:29 AM,
I messed around with Grigsby's old WitP...Can the Japanese use another strategy than bombing Pearl Harbor? What would have happened, had they concentrated further east, then cracked the MacArthur relief force with concentrated land and naval air forces?
09-11-2007, 09:36 AM,
FM WarB Wrote:I messed around with Grigsby's old WitP...Can the Japanese use another strategy than bombing Pearl Harbor? What would have happened, had they concentrated further east, then cracked the MacArthur relief force with concentrated land and naval air forces?

Sure you can. You don't have to use the historical frst turn.
Alot of people don't use the historical first turn because you don't get good results.
09-12-2007, 02:07 AM,
Prinz von Egan Wrote:"There was a recent post where the Allied players equivalent of Taffy 58, repulsed a 1,000 plane strike (carrier planes launched from land bases, I believe) without 1 leaker. "

This is historical and was the result of the 1st battle of the Philippine Sea, as I recall. von ege :smoke:

The plane counts at the Phillipine Sea were lower (400-500), but the result was the same, not one hit on the carriers.

Actually quite similar since in this particular game, the Japanese player off-loaded his carrier planes to a nearby land base before the attack. So just like at the Phillipine Sea the US Carriers concentrated on repulsing the air attacks instead of trying to conduct parallel offensive operations.

Don't think the Japanese player lost two carrier to subs in the game, though (the only carrier losses the Japanese suffered at PS).
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM,
From the online Wikipedia:

The four Japanese attacks involved 373 carrier aircraft, of which 130 returned to the carriers, and several more were lost onboard the two carriers sunk on the first day by submarine attacks. After the second day the losses totaled three carriers and over 400 carrier aircraft lost and around 200 land based planes. Losses on the U.S. side on the first day were only 23, and on the second 100, most of them resulting from the night landings.

The losses to the Japanese were irreplaceable. At the Japanese naval air arm, only 35 out of Admiral Ozawa's 473 planes were left in a condition fit to fly. In the Battle of Leyte Gulf a few months later, their carriers were used solely as a decoy because of the lack of aircraft and aircrews to fly them.