• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Tiger PZ IVE under strength?
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM,
RE: The Tiger PZ IVE under strength?
I agree, The Pzkpfw VIE is not the same terror in the CS game as it was on the actual battlefield. I believe the armor values given to it are correct given the formula the original designers most likely used. A tank like the Panther would be more difficult for incoming AP shot to penetrate becouse of the high angle at which it's frontal hull and superstructor were set at. Becouse of that the Panthers overall frontal armor effectiveness is greater. No problem there at all. But if protection values were to be calculated using the effective armor based on it's slope/angle and also actual armor thickness equally. We would see tanks like the Tiger I having their protection values take a moderate climb. Something on the order of 10% or so. The slope/angle of the armor plate was a very important feature for a tank to have. But actual armor thickness was an important plus also. Angle of armor plate wasn't everything. What I believe the real problem for tanks like the Tiger I in the CS is. Is that other tanks and anti-tank guns are able to knock them out on a routine basis when they never had that success rate against a Tiger in actual combat. There are a number of allied and axis weapons IMO that have hard attack values that are flat out to high. It's as though a good number of those tanks or anti-tank guns have a constant supply of heavily rationed APCR or HVAP ammunition. This is something being explored at the moment.
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2007, 06:29 AM,
Yep all good points but the highest kill ratio of any German Tank was the Stug it had more kills than any other.Maybe the germans should have concentrated on more of these and IVH's which were cheaper to build just my thoughts.
09-08-2007, 12:59 PM,
The Tiger I was by no stretch of the imagination a poor design. Actually it was an excellent design for what it was designed to do IMO. I believe the biggest problem for it was that they were often used or employed improperly and in to few numbers to make any real impact. This was not neccassarily the German armies fault either. Often it was the far larger allied armor formations and air power that negated any advantage the Tigers armor and firepower had. Spending the recources and time on building alot more StuG's and Pz IV's armed with the L/48 calibers gun would have probably been the way to go IMO also. the 75mm L/48 calibers was more than able to knock out all but the most heavily armored allied tanks ( Churchill Mk VII's, Jumbo's and IS-2's ) at regular combat ranges and with regularity. German high command and Hitler are probably to blame for not thinking of this ahead of time. It appears they had the idea that bigger had to be better all the way up until the end. That didn't turn out to be the case of course.
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM,
Eric:

Give me a call or drop me an email.

j