• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge Campaign Recommendation
08-26-2007, 02:10 AM,
Bulge Campaign Recommendation
I am considering playing a PBEM of A Bulge campaign. Left to my own devices I would probably play one of VM's _alt scenarios. However I notice there are several campaigns created by various players, in particular Brian Jennings revised campaign looks interesting. Can anyone let me know which they think makes for the best game.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

(If you don't want to be seen to be partisan on the forum feel free to pm me with your thoughts)
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM,
RE: Bulge Campaign Recommendation
Check the Scenarios page in the G-3 supply section. I have not looked to see how many B44 CG are played there, but it can give you an indication pf popularity. People posting games is a measure of interest. Many games played is a measure of good scenario.

CGs are long, so expect to see fewer games played than other scenarios. You can compare the numbers there to CG scenarios you have played in other PzC titles as a rough guide.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-31-2007, 05:56 AM,
Brian Jennings 'Wacht am rhein' is superbly built.
09-01-2007, 04:07 PM,
Well I am prejudiced but the Dark Winter scenario by FM Bajan and myself is the only one with correct time, amazingly. Contrary to popular belief here, sunrise on Dec. 16 in the Ardennes is not at 0600 (actually c. 0900) and nightfall is not at 1800 (actually 1600). You should only get 8 hours of daylight that time of year, not 12. If you want realism, Dark Winter is the only way to go, time wise. von ege
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM,
Prinz von Egan Wrote:Well I am prejudiced but the Dark Winter scenario by FM Bajan and myself is the only one with correct time, amazingly. Contrary to popular belief here, sunrise on Dec. 16 in the Ardennes is not at 0600 (actually c. 0900) and nightfall is not at 1800 (actually 1600). You should only get 8 hours of daylight that time of year, not 12. If you want realism, Dark Winter is the only way to go, time wise. von ege

I haven't had a look at your scenario yet, though I will later on. But a few questions.

How does the extended night fit in with play balance. With fatigue, would you expect a soldier to incur fatigue if they have 8 hours sleep, would they really need 16 hours top avoid becoming fatigued during the day. Also, moving to 4 hour night turns for the majority of the day, aren't you reducing the overall effective movement range of most units. Both of these effects would appear to penalize the Germans quiet heavily.
09-02-2007, 02:44 AM,
Hi FLG. All I do know is that the sun didn't come up till 0839 there at that time of year and it bleak without any long introductory dawn, and when the sun sets at 1630 it is pitch black almost immediately. I know that because I lived there. Like Casey Stengel used to say "you can look it up." There are a number of free programs on the intenet which allow you to go back to any date in history and see solar allignments (Sky Globe for example). However you want to clock it, 8 hours of daylight is all they had. How 4 night turns shall affect the game I don't know. When I designed it, it was the 2nd B44 design I'd worked on and I'd also play tested 3 campaigns using the same deployments used in Dark Winter including American FAG (Field Artillery Groups) which allow the players to move artillery around by Corps. So I haven't play tested it and I haven't heard from anyone who has. Bye 1944 the Germans were doing a lot of night movement to confound Allied air superiority. If I were a German player I think I'd like these time parameters. I suspect the German player would use the 1st two night turns for movement and the last two night turns for rest. If you want an accurate simulation of the conditions of Dec. 16th 1944 I don't see how you can avoid, or would want to avoid using these time parameters. von ege. :cool2:
PS. I don't play east front games but I suspect the winter time parameters are off there as well, like in M41 where sunrise is at 0842 and sunset at 1554 on Dec. 5th 1941, or, in game terms; 0800 and 1400, same as Dark Winter.
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM,
I think this is modelled with earlier dawn and dusk turns in other alternate campaigns. All of the user made campaigns for B44 are great choices, it is just a matter of choosing one and trying it out to see what you like best.
Send this user an email
09-05-2007, 12:17 PM,
Some tweaks might be useful for Dark Winter oob, but I have been busy lately in Belgium when thare Are 18 hrs of daylight (including dawn and dusk).
We decided on low unit density over detailed oob. It's good to have scenarios with varying oob approaches, so you can try them all.
von Ege isnt playtesting Bulge game atm, as I succored him into playtesting new Waterloo 4 day scenario. :cool: