• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM,
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
Bootie Wrote:"I can catch more flies with vinegar camp"

Ermmmm.... can you catch flies with vinegar??

I went to that camp last summer...learned a lot.
08-28-2007, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2007, 05:07 AM by The Coil.)
Look, this thread has taken a strange "how dare you like clickies" turn. I really just started it because I observed these two things:

1) The institution of the new clickie system corresponded with a sharp drop in posting.

2) The new clicky system is basically useless as a rep system as currently implemented.

For a while, we were having an interesting conversation about these phenomena (which I believe transcend my personal posting habits, btw). Then it turned into "you O Coil are unworthy of this forum for even talking about clickies. And you too, Leto. And maybe you, too, Colonel T (who doesn't even really appear in this thread)." I don't care about your opinion. Start your own "I hate clickies" thread. Don't whine about how me being motivated by clickies has killed the forum. Post something interesting you want to talk about, like whether or not WW2 was worth it or something. But to waste your time telling me I'm wasting my time talking about clickies seems like a waste of time. You may think it's a bigger waste of my time to post about you wasting your time telling me I'm wasting my time, but it's not, because I find it fun.

Anyway, nobody has really argued with those two assertions. McIvan has helpfully expanded on them, Leto has seconded my assessment of them, Raz has helpfully reminded us that we aren't complaining about a mod decision (which we're not), just observing the effects of that decision. You might not like those effects, but they're there. I just wanted to discuss them. If you want to, post away. If you want to tell me I'm stupid, start your own thread and quit cluttering up this one.

But please, don't do the thing where you just argue with my 2 assertions by jumping in with a silly opinion as if you're opinion is fact, and as if your silly opinion hasn't already been addressed earlier in the thread. Actually interact with the points that have been made. Otherwise, I shall publicly doubt your fitness to be here. Take that!

There hasn't been a tactical post or an AAR in days. I'm not sure why, given all the people who are so motivated by the love of the game around here. Leto's told you why he's not posting. I've told you why I'm not. What's your excuse?
08-29-2007, 12:23 AM,
The Coil Wrote:blah blah blah clickies blah blah blah

Although we almost never agree on anything (especially when we are at our underground clicky resistance meetings that don't exist; as an example, the Coil wanted to wear the bull head, sacrifice the goat and dance clockwise around the bonfire, while I wanted to wear the goat's head, sacrifice the bull and dance counterclockwise around the bonfire), I have to say I agree with you fully on this one.

I'm beginning to feel that there is a certain faction out there that are persecuting us for just letting our feelings be known about the clicky system. I won't go as far as saying that these people wear taffeta bedsheets and lynch clicky lovers from monolithic representations of the Combat Mission store version CD box, but I guess I have intimited it anyways in this rambling and not by purpose, purposeful second sentence.

Believe it or not, I actually received a red clicky for posting my hearftelt reasons as to why I think I have stopped posting, and was ebulient beyond belief just to get some kind of feedback at all, even though it was a discriminatory action brought on by thoughtlessness and negativity itself, screaming of clicky loving discrimination and intolerance. This and other posts denigrating those who liked the clickies (but are not complaining about the management with respect to their ousting) does not act as any incentive to post here.

Now, the situation turns tragic, as the Coil is bringing a new clicky lover into the world, and he or she will most likely be disriminated against, bullied and told to ride at the back of the Combat Mission bus because of who she or he is. The thought of the Coil's children not being allowed to attend school with Randy, Bootie, Mad Russian's and other CCC'rs (counter clicky cops) children makes me well up in sadness.

And the hypocracy of pointing out our silliness, and the silliness of doing so standing on the silly foundation from which you are pointing at our silliness, is well, just plain silly. We all post for our own reasons, belong to the club for others, and all play CM. I think we should all be sheepish enough to get along with each other knowing what total uber geeks and fat losers we all are. But no, some of the CM crowd appear to be elite and persecuting others for not being "less of a fungo" than others here, and especially by using the "P" word to ridicule us further. That is the epitomy of nincompoopery, I hope you all realize (but know that you will not realize this fact or admit it even if you do, as you hide behind your thin veneers of CM eliteness, staring down your long pinnochio noses at us homeless and discriminated against clicky likers).

The club is divisive not because we love clickies. It is divisive because of the intolerance of some that do not know how to tolerate those who are untolerable like myself and the Coil. There is no leadership that unites us, and there is no membership that cares enough to care about anything. So why should we be decapitated at the ass when we also begin to care less?

So to all those who have cast the stones, realize that we are your brothers... mishapen, ugly, contorted and clicky loving, but your brothers none the less. I see no reason why we cannot be united, and love each other like brothers (from the north, not the south), regardless of what lies in our hearts. We all love Combat Mission, but come at this love from different angles, aptitudes and IQ's. Let us all love the game in the way that God intended us to love the game.

Peace.

Leto Luther King
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM,
I shall say it again...I love this thread. It's exactly the kind of thread that has been missing from the boards. All because of clickies.
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM,
Ok, I'm coming out! :-0

I like clickies (gasp, shock, horror!). I find them to be quite comical so I save my clickies for people with a sense of humour :)

And by the way Leto and the coil, please get it right. You wear the GOATS head and sacrifice the bull! No wonder it kept falling off as you ran around the bonfire! ;)

cheers
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
Believe it or not, I actually received a red clicky for posting my hearftelt reasons as to why I think I have stopped posting, and was ebulient beyond belief just to get some kind of feedback at all, even though it was a discriminatory action brought on by thoughtlessness and negativity itself, screaming of clicky loving discrimination and intolerance.

Damn I thought I was being witty and humourous... thats Irish humour for ya.

The thing we gotta remember here is that their definitley is a perceivable ebb and flow in regards to posts on this forum. People batter away at their keyboards for a while which prompts others too post (look at this thread) but then their is also the lean times when it is quiet.

Its just the way it is.

Do you think the drop in entertaining posts has in someway been because POS left us in the wilderness and walked of into the sunset with his witty diatribe?
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM,
The Coil Wrote:You've got to be kidding. I think you take your CM a bit too seriously. Are you really questioning if my commitment to CM is strong enough to warrant my being here? I'm here because it's fun. I play CM because it's fun. I'm sorry if I'm not committed enough to join you in building better life for us all through constructing a Combat Mission Utopia...you will, as you say, have to go on without me. I wish you luck. It's strange to me that you seem to view Combat Mission as some sort of high purpose and calling, that should only be enjoyed by the truly dedicated, but that's fine by me. What I really don't get is why it would bother you if I don't. I think I missed the "are you committed enough to post on this board" quiz when I registered.

Nope I was poking fun at all of us...which is what I think you do most of the time. That anything we take too seriously is a bit off the mark.

I hope you are here because it's for fun. If not then I would question that.

Not here to build a CM Utopia....just have fun with some of it. The clickies have been a way to do that.

Actually, I view CM as a game to be enjoyed by as many gamers as possible. I have not been bothered by anyone's stance on the game here least of all yours. I laugh most times I read your comments.

What seems to be happening is a general lack of enthusiasm on the boards and you at least post SOMETHING! Generally in a dry humor sort of way.

I couldn't understand why you responded the way you did..then I see that I tried to use the emotion button smilies at the top and not at the side and they didn't "stick" like I thought. I normally read my posts when I'm done but I didn't that last one. Sometimes I can't get the Smilies box to open so I can get what I want too. Not your fault or mine either really. But I tried using the ones at the top inside the text box and that doesn't work.

There should have been a :cool2: at the end and nothing like a flame or a shark. I tried to use the whistle but apparently that didn't go over like I wanted it to.

I do agree with you that I can get pretty immersed in CM at times. It's my hobby. I like my hobby. But that doesn't mean that I am a fanatic about it to the point I want to hang all others that don't share my viewpoint.

If that's the way I come across it's not an accurate depiction of my feelings.

I read all the posts BEFORE putting mine on here, so I knew full well what the thread was about.

Hope this post is better at showing my intent than the last one I posted on here.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM,
Mad Russian Wrote:I couldn't understand why you responded the way you did..then I see that I tried to use the emotion button smilies at the top and not at the side and they didn't "stick" like I thought. I normally read my posts when I'm done but I didn't that last one. Sometimes I can't get the Smilies box to open so I can get what I want too. Not your fault or mine either really. But I tried using the ones at the top inside the text box and that doesn't work.

There should have been a :cool2: at the end and nothing like a flame or a shark. I tried to use the whistle but apparently that didn't go over like I wanted it to.

Oh my...MR, your whole response is waaay too civil for an Internet message board. You're supposed to call me an idiot now, and explain why I'm a total jerk...

Sorry for reacting so strongly... It was starting to feel like Leto and I were getting attacked for our opinions in a thread that really wasn't intended to be about my (or Leto's) opinion at all. Anyway, sorry for my too strongly worded response (you should've seen it before the first edit), thanks for your very level-headed reply. That's what I get for posting anything after midnight...tends to magnify the response. Pretty much all MB misunderstandings can be traced back to smilies (of which we should be able to use more than 10 in a post, btw).

The worst part is, you didn't even fall for my carefully laid trap, wherein I gave you a red clickie, waiting for you to mention it at all, so I could expose you as a secret clickie lover. Dang you, Mad Russian, always a step ahead...
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2007, 12:55 PM by The Coil.)
Bob Millard Wrote:I like clickies (gasp, shock, horror!). I find them to be quite comical so I save my clickies for people with a sense of humour :)

Did I ever tell you how cool I think you are?

Bob Millard Wrote:And by the way Leto and the coil, please get it right. You wear the GOATS head and sacrifice the bull! No wonder it kept falling off as you ran around the bonfire! ;)

Oh, well I've been way off. I've been wearing the fire on my head, sacrificing (hirr)Leto (who squirms a lot, btw), dancing around the bull, and saving the goat for his appearance in <hirr>Leto's DAR (which may never be finished, I guess). [/quote]

Edit: by the way, a minor technical issue...some times when I quote multiple times in a post, especially when I type in my own quote bars, it automatically adds an endquote (as above) when I post it. Usually I just edit it out, and its not a big deal, but there you have it...
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM,
The Coil Wrote:The worst part is, you didn't even fall for my carefully laid trap, wherein I gave you a red clickie, waiting for you to mention it at all, so I could expose you as a secret clickie lover. Dang you, Mad Russian, always a step ahead...

I'm left completely out in the field on clickies...I didn't even know where to go look at them before this all started. I haven't looked at them since they changed so I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know then and don't know now how many I've got or what particular color they are....

I don't know why my Smilies Box won't open up so I can use the flames and all the cool response stuff....:conf:

BUT that's ok. I just read most of the light banter and get involved in the threads that have more of a historical nature.

I just think the whole clickie thing is so ridiculous that it's funny!

My point, that I didn't get across well at all before, since apparently you thought it was aimed directly at you, is that, if all we are here for is to worry about rep points what a sorry MB this is. What little enjoyment we are getting out of life, and most importantly our hobby!!

I know Leto....you are the ONE EXCEPTION that I know of for sure....who knows there may be more of your ilk lurking around out there in the far northland waiting to invade the boundaries of men displaying a sanity not supported by those alive north of the border....I believe that comes from a French ancestral tie that binds you deeply to the illogical fates of those from the old country.

Good Hunting.

MR