• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
09-06-2007, 01:02 PM,
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
The Coil Wrote:
|hirr|Leto Wrote:That powerful jetstream of wit carries us all across unestimable leagues of boredom and dullishness and deposits us onto rich white sands of endless mirth.

Amen. Only thing worse than having to wade through POS spam while reading an interesting thread is having to wade through of post of things POS might hypothetically post somewhere else.

|hirr|Leto Wrote:Apparently not all are raised on the wings of your witticism. Perhaps you should just own up and state the real facts: you threaten to leave because you don't like blitz members calling a spade a spade.

You also forgot that he's tired of being so outwitted by actually witty folks like you and me that he is reduced to responding with lines like "You on crack, mate?" as if this were some sort of clever retort.

McIvan Wrote:If, however, this thread were to become a baiting thread with no other redeeming feature about it, and really nothing more to say on the subject of clickies, then I'm afraid it too will die a horrible and painful death. So let's not.

Sorry, McI...but there's no way to shut the back door, so the riff-raff keep wandering in with their irrelevant posts. Don't hold the thread responsible for an annoying poster. If only we could show our displeasure with a flurry of red clickies or something...

There! Back on topic!

I can't believe that you didn't appreciate the Battlestar Galactica skit... I even named it "Coilactica"...

Sheesh...

; )

Cheers!

Leto
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2007, 01:33 PM by The Coil.)
?hirr?Leto Wrote:
The Coil Wrote:
|hirr|Leto Wrote:That powerful jetstream of wit carries us all across unestimable leagues of boredom and dullishness and deposits us onto rich white sands of endless mirth.

Amen. Only thing worse than having to wade through POS spam while reading an interesting thread is having to wade through of post of things POS might hypothetically post somewhere else.

|hirr|Leto Wrote:Apparently not all are raised on the wings of your witticism. Perhaps you should just own up and state the real facts: you threaten to leave because you don't like blitz members calling a spade a spade.

You also forgot that he's tired of being so outwitted by actually witty folks like you and me that he is reduced to responding with lines like "You on crack, mate?" as if this were some sort of clever retort.

McIvan Wrote:If, however, this thread were to become a baiting thread with no other redeeming feature about it, and really nothing more to say on the subject of clickies, then I'm afraid it too will die a horrible and painful death. So let's not.

Sorry, McI...but there's no way to shut the back door, so the riff-raff keep wandering in with their irrelevant posts. Don't hold the thread responsible for an annoying poster. If only we could show our displeasure with a flurry of red clickies or something...

There! Back on topic!

I can't believe that you didn't appreciate the Battlestar Galactica skit... I even named it "Coilactica"...

Sheesh...

; )

Cheers!

Leto

Ummm...I remember what happened last time my name ended up in a skit of yours...

Actually, I did appreciate it, I just found myself at a loss as to how I might express that appreciation in an objective and meaningful way. I thought about getting you a "pretzel", but I already gave you one a while back, and strangely, the pretzel store will only let me give you one. Some sort of pretzel quota or something (sounds kind of crazy to me, limiting the amount of pretzels I can give to one person, but there's no figuring out the pretzel store - I bet the pretzel store gets a lot less business now. At least, that seems logical to me).

Oh well, maybe someday they'll come up with some sort of feature on this board to allow me to express my repeated appreciation of the time and energy you put into writing entertaining skits featuring me.

There! Back on topic again!
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM,
My 2p worth of opinion.:soap:

Why are we even bothered about such an insignificant thing ?

Are we all back @ school were we all worried about our reputations and popularity or adults where we all entitled to our own points of view and independant thought which MAY cause an upset to some people ?.

I have been a member of the Blitz now for the last 7 years and have managed to accumulate the MASSIVE amount of 42 ! (YES A WHOLE 42 !) of positive rep points. My whole reason for joining the Blitz was to play games NOT to join a community where reputation counts more than playing games - hell the one person who I fell out with here didnt even give me a red clickie - we just agreed to disagree and never play each other again.

I can understand why POS got so annoyed about the amount of red clickies that he got, although he could be annoying with some of his posts, he was at least contributing something to the club AND if you didnt like his posts you could just ignore them, even I felt sometimes that he was a bit of an ar*e:censored: but I didnt give him any red clickies.

Unless you are prepared to contribute to the club (and this doesnt mean just by making posts , for example to help behind the scenes like I do by running the ACOW Ladder with Currahee), then your criticisms of the current repping system should be tempered but your opinion and input is still valued.

If there is to be a poll on the rep system then let there be 3 options:

1) Abolish completely

2) Revert to the old system and

3) Keep the new system

I know where my vote is going ....

Rant over now and I feel better for letting my opinion out into the wilderness.

I look forward to your comments as I am off to work now !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
09-07-2007, 02:23 PM,
Very well said Antoni. Although I perceive that the thread is less about core motivations for wargaming & joining the club, and more about something which a smattering of posters found to be fun and a source of motivation for additional posting.....a far less critical standard.
09-07-2007, 02:45 PM,
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:My 2p worth of opinion.:soap:

Are we all back @ school were we all worried about our reputations and popularity or adults where we all entitled to our own points of view and independant thought which MAY cause an upset to some people ?.

I have been a member of the Blitz now for the last 7 years and have managed to accumulate the MASSIVE amount of 42 ! (YES A WHOLE 42 !) of positive rep points. My whole reason for joining the Blitz was to play games NOT to join a community where reputation counts more than playing games - hell the one person who I fell out with here didnt even give me a red clickie - we just agreed to disagree and never play each other again.

I can understand why POS got so annoyed about the amount of red clickies that he got, although he could be annoying with some of his posts, he was at least contributing something to the club AND if you didnt like his posts you could just ignore them, even I felt sometimes that he was a bit of an ar*e:censored: but I didnt give him any red clickies.

Unless you are prepared to contribute to the club (and this doesnt mean just by making posts , for example to help behind the scenes like I do by running the ACOW Ladder with Currahee), then your criticisms of the current repping system should be tempered but your opinion and input is still valued.

1) Abolish completely

3) Keep the new system

Hehe...we're on page 13, I think this post belongs back on page 2...
09-07-2007, 07:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2007, 08:19 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
As I've said before, it seems like I'm the only one who can see the tremendous harm rep systems can do to any club, they put people off joining, they make people leave, they put people off posting,they're open to abuse,they make a club look like a kiddies playground and become a laughing stock around the CM community,they give outsiders the opportunity for sabotage etc..
Can't any of you see all that?
I care about Blitz, that's why I'd like to see the rep system totally scrapped so the club can begin looking like an elite adult military unit again instead of a Boy Scouts Troop.. ;)

PS - I never click anybody, red nor green because it simply never crosses my mind, its far better to say things out in the open in the forum. For example if somebody makes a good tac post I'll say "good post", and we'll carry on discussing whatever tac point is being talked about, and other people can chip in to to keep the ball rolling, generating good healthy discussion and debate.
And if somebody says something tactical I don't agree with,I'll post saying so, and other people can join in on either side there too, in sensible debate that we can all learn from.
See, the rep system isn't needed at all.. :)
(Who's the Big Boss of Blitz anyway, Jim Mays? For two pins I'd put all this before him and let him decide whether he wants the rep system to stay or go)
09-07-2007, 10:53 PM,
The rep system is present in many other forums you frequent as well, their memberships and posting are not having problems because of that. How can you make such claims without having hard data?

Harm of rep systems:
members not joining... we get 3-5 members joining every day in all parts of the club. Rep system is not affecting membership based on this data.

Members leaving... So far we've got you threatening to leave about 2 dozen times now and you're still here.. no one else has really left due to the rep system alone.

Members not posting... So far there's not any members who have actually stopped posting because of the rep points that I know of.

Abuse.. This is minor and easily managed at this point, especially with the newer system preventing multiple ratings. Members who have previously abused the system, have been reminded of the penalties and rescinded in their evil ways.

Kiddie playground.. we're all young at heart here otherwise we wouldn't be playing games and joking around like a bunch of good friends do.

Laughing stock of the CM community... I've yet to see any other club make comments about our community that they stand behind, other than the odd displeased member making a personal rant about some experiences he might of had somewhere. No club in their right mind would publicly denounce another club.

Sabatoge... This is non existent with the new system and updated forum program. Hackers are a problem everywhere, no one is safe from them completely, so the rep system alone is not the culprit of hacker break-ins.

Scrapped... only because of your own personal experiences do you have hate for the system. It should be clear to you by now, that TheBlitz CM community doesn't thrive on your off color posts, we love your CM posts but when you grovel off the deep end with ego and boasting posts, THAT's where the boy scout troop image comes from. The rest of us do present ourselves on the forums as sane elite military minded men who share a common hobby. (with a few exceptions of course)

Posting comments on posts is fine, ignore the rep system then and never look at it again. Mentally block it from your mind and go forward rather than linger on something you hate because it will only frustrate you more.

Jim is the owner, he's in Iraq, he's been absent of making decisions for the club for quite some time, though not of his own fault. At this point in time, with the absence of Steel God, I am the senior officer in charge of the Club.

I don't believe in dropping something that has flourished here before your joining, based on the current debate of pros and cons of the system. It is an option to remove the system, but not the only one and certainly not the one most wanted by members as far as a non polled effort is concerned.

Perhaps with a poll we will have a better understanding of wants and not wants but that is awaiting a staff decision to decide where we want to go with the issue.

A lot of time & energy is being burned here for a very simple forum feature that is easily ignored, even if it is present.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-08-2007, 01:11 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:Sheer poetry.

You've been upgraded again.

'Nuff said.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
09-08-2007, 01:14 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:PS - I never click anybody, red nor green because it simply never crosses my mind, its far better to say things out in the open in the forum.

It seems to have crossed your mind over at TPG. You made two inane references under the standard of red clickies about how Geordie and McIvan are my lovers and that I am a gamey player not to be trusted and abuse the kit selection system.

There is no end to your Hypocracy O Holy man.

Cheers!

Leto
09-08-2007, 01:15 AM,
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:My 2p worth of opinion.:soap:

1) Abolish completely

3) Keep the new system

I haven't filed a tax return in 3 years.... NA NA NAA NA NAAA~~!

Well said Toner. But I think even the most serious of us don't take it THAT seriously. Someone is getting roto rooter audited today I would guess!!!

lol...

Cheers!

Leto