• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Blitz Questionnaire - Weasel
08-25-2007, 03:20 AM,
RE: Blitz Questionnaire - IWO JIM
What is your name?
Jim Major

How did you decide upon your Blitz nickname?
My wife kinda hung that on me

What ladders are you represented on?
SP & TOAW

What is your favorite PC War-game?
Right now SPMBT

Who has been your hardest opponent?

I’d have to say Weasel and Red Devil haven’t played them to many times but the few I have I’ve got my clock cleaned

How long have you been a member of the Blitz?

Since Oct 2003

What War interests you the most?
WWII by far

If you could choose to be present at one historical event what would it be?
That’s tuff, but I’d have to say the invasion of Normandy

What is your favorite War movie?
Patton

What do you snack on while gaming?
Usually just a cup of Coffee

What is your favorite and least favorite aspect of the Blitz website?
Most favorite? Would be the vast amount of opponents available across the globe, don’t think I have a least favorite

Do you own any war memorabilia?
I have my fathers’s unit and rank patches from his uniform along with his diary from 1941

What is the best military book you have read?
Panzer Battle by FW von Mellenthin.

What do you think was the single most important event of WWII?
The Soviets stopping the Germany Army just short of Moscow

What is the most interesting documentary you have ever watched?
Right now its Dog Fights on the History Channel

What is your favorite version of Steel Panthers?

MBT

Are there any war games catching your eye at present?

Looking at Carriers at War used to play it back in the day on an Apple IIe

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?
Have fun, don’t be so obsessed with winning or losing
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2007, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2007, 05:11 AM by RedDevil.)
Blitz Questionnaire - RedDevil
What is your name?
Randy Plume

A nickname I've had since since the late 70's from Dungeons & Dragons gaming, came from the D M Guide cover, kept it all thru my online gaming accounts with slight variations.

Several of them here...
ACW (only a game or 2 tho)
CS
CM
HPS
SqB (sold all my SqB games just recently)
SP

No 1 single favorite, I like a lot of different games, all depends on the type and tactical/strategy level of the game.

Depends on the ladder, There's plenty of them out there that have slapped me like stepchild repeatedly.
On the SP ladder, Steel God, Greybeard and Weasel.
CS Ladder, Herr Nash & Tankertony
CM Ladder, [hirr]Leto, McIvan, WildBill
HPS Ladder, Liveline99
Sqb Ladder, Ozgur Budak, Banzai Lee

Far too long :) August 2000, came over from Grognards merger

WW2, but I'm interested in all of them for some reason. :P

If you could choose to be present at one historical event what would it be? Hard choices to make here..
Cowpens, Gettysburg, Isandlwana, or The D-Day landings, depending on the war.

Oh boy... tough call here
Kelly's Heroes is the most watched, but Saving Private Ryan is awesome on my home theater system

More than I should be, used to be carrots dipped in peanut butter w/h Diet Coke, now just Iced Tea (gawd who drinks that stuff hot anyways?) or Ice water.

The best thing about The Blitz is that it allows you to meet people from all over the world that you could never normally meet. The world is indeed a small place, when we can all gather in the same "room" (forum, chat program, etc) and talk to each other.
Least liked: Those who demand, complain or stir, but cannot lift a finger to help.

Used to have a bunch of WW1 Ammo boxes and some old greened up brass ammo, and the bayonet from some sort of German Rifle. Sadly, I pulled the bullets out of the brass and lit the powder off during a table top wargame party and the ammo boxes got tossed out due to decay.. the bayonet..well the local police took that.. some law about carrying weapons in public... Eek

What is the best military book(s) you have read?
Like Wolves on the Fold ISBN 1-85367-659-4
How Can Man Die Better ISBN 1-85367-656-1
Both by LtCol Mike Snook
I highly recommend reading both of them to anyone interested in the Zulu War, very good books on Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift.

Pearl Harbor Bombing, it got America officially involved in the war.

I don't watch many "Docus", but I did like the one about the Wolf Packs and how allied technology helped to defeat them.

MBT and WW2

After the recent fracas with CM-SF, I went and picked up GRAW2 and am thinking about the Silent hunter series.. Oh and that new HPS MC game.. whenever it comes out :)

What piece of wisdom would you like to pass on to your fellow Blitz members?Take it one day at a time, Life's to short to worry about tomorrow. :cool2:

cheers
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
08-25-2007, 08:03 AM,
RE: Blitz Questionnaire - RedDevil
RedDevil Wrote:What is your favorite War movie?
Oh boy... tough call here
Kelly's Heroes is the most watched, but Saving Private Ryan is awesome on my home theater system

I have never liked this movie. A lot of people seem to like it on the Blitz but I always thought it was too much of a 60s comedy type thing. Sure I know it was an anti-war thing etc, but a tank commander with a full beard?

Used to have a bunch of WW1 Ammo boxes and some old greened up brass ammo, and the bayonet from some sort of German Rifle. Sadly, I pulled the bullets out of the brass and lit the powder off during a table top wargame party and the ammo boxes got tossed out due to decay.. the bayonet..well the local police took that.. some law about carrying weapons in public... Eek

LOL - I did that with all my little plastic men, someone brought a flame thrower to the part (bic and spray paint) and up they went.

After the recent fracas with CM-SF, I went and picked up GRAW2 and am thinking about the Silent hunter series.. Oh and that new HPS MC game.. whenever it comes out :)

Have you played GRAW v1 yet? I want to get #2 but as I said I am waiting. If you have, is number 2 much better then #1?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
08-25-2007, 09:56 AM,
RE: Blitz Questionnaire - Weasel
Chris, Graw 1 and 2 are very similar but the supporting units commands in 2 are, IMO, much easier to use and the men do give cover and take action this time. I love the "Weapons Free!!" cry when you tell them to cover an area.. they just waste bullets tho LOL
another plus is it seems there's No cd required to play..

I did have a few minutes of anxiety when a video driver error kept rebooting my PC, but realized my GeForce card had a custom game tab for video settings and GRAW1 & 2 were right there in the list.. solved the problem instantly.

I'm having a slight problem getting past a tank right now, but other than that, it has played rather quickly on the normal Skill level so far. It can prolly be finished in 3-4 days of devoted playing :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
08-25-2007, 10:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM by Fubar.)
I know many Grogs find Kelly's Heroes to be an anathema but i find it very entertaining.....especially as the newsounds mod for CMBO uses many lines from the film.

Stop hitting me with those negative waves man. :smoke:

And don't forget to give the GWX mod a try if you get SH3.....many thanks again Weasel. :thumbs_up:

cheers
08-26-2007, 06:50 AM,
RE: Blitz Questionnaire - Czerpak
What is your name?
Maciej Czerkas

CZERPAK is a nickname I got back in the university. Another version is CZERKI , some people still use it. Both come from my surname.

Steel Panthers currently. I used to play in Classic Wargames for some time.

Steel Panthers (who would have thought…LOL)

My wife. She always wins. Oooops, gaming wise, you mean ? In that case I am afraid there were to many to name all, but there are few names I am always afraid off.
My first nightmare was Josan. We played War in Russia (Gary Grigsby’s classic) both off-ladder and in Classic Wargames ladder. His skills were far beyond anything I could dream about. Same story with Hawks regarding Steel Panthers. I guess most of my later victories originated from what I learned from him. We haven’t played many games, but talked a lot. I wonder if I could stand against Hawks nowadays…
There are many others. Martinez, Skotty, Vesku, Jagdpanther, Steel God, Survor, Shortreengage, Grumbler, Greybeard were always hard (or impossible) to beat.
But honestly speaking I never came across weak opponent in the Club.

Since 2001, I guess

To many to pick just one. I was always interested in air war in Europe during WW2, ancient wars&battles, Polish military in middle ages and in XVII century, Napoleonic wars.

Can’t say about single event, much easier with a historical period. Ancient Rome that would be or Alexander the Great campaign.

Das Boot – this is absolutely number one.

Whatever is ‘in range’. I usually play late evenings, so nice cup of tea is my favorite, then goes coffee, beer, good old friends Johnny & Jack or a glass of wine.

Blitz community is the best thing. Can’t think about bad aspects really.

Yes, soldiers’ belt and some documents. They belonged to my wife’s grandfather. He fought in Polish army in the West.

I’ve read hundreds of great books. I can recommend 2 books I wrote reviews recently to local newspaper. First is “Flight of Eagles” by Robert F. Karolevitz, Ross S. Fenn. It’s a story about American pilots, who volunteered to polish army during war against soviets in 1920.
Second is “The Murrow Boys” by Stanley Cloud, Lynne Olson. An absolute must read for everyone interested in WW2.

I think it was western countries letting Hitler do whatever he wanted in 30’. He could have been stopped and war avoided.

I watch Discovery Civilization on daily basis. I think the best series is Battlefield.
Currently I enjoy watching Terry Jones’ Barbarians.

CAMO versions.

No time to try new games. I still have games I bought few years ago and never really played, like TOAW, Battleground series, Silent Hunter, Aces of the Deep. I will, when I retire.
The only non-Steel Panthers game I play is Europa Universalis II.

Take a brake when you are fed up with gaming. After a brake you will enjoy gaming even more.
08-26-2007, 06:54 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:Chris, Graw 1 and 2 are very similar but the supporting units commands in 2 are, IMO, much easier to use and the men do give cover and take action this time. I love the "Weapons Free!!" cry when you tell them to cover an area.. they just waste bullets tho LOL
another plus is it seems there's No cd required to play..

I did have a few minutes of anxiety when a video driver error kept rebooting my PC, but realized my GeForce card had a custom game tab for video settings and GRAW1 & 2 were right there in the list.. solved the problem instantly.

I'm having a slight problem getting past a tank right now, but other than that, it has played rather quickly on the normal Skill level so far. It can prolly be finished in 3-4 days of devoted playing :)

I am about 80% way through GRAW. I found the M1s the hard part too, but I did find leaning out and shooting works well. I keep a building between me and the tank and lean out so my Zeus can see a bit of the tank.

The one part of the game that I thought was BS was when I used my 9mm to shoot down an Apache. HUH??

I also have the EARNED IN BLOOD series too, they are pretty good. For some reason my squad keeps yelling at me "Sarge, get down man, you're gonna get yourself killed". Or, "I'm taking fire here!".
08-26-2007, 06:57 AM,
Fubar Wrote:I know many Grogs find Kelly's Heroes to be an anathema but i find it very entertaining.....especially as the newsounds mod for CMBO uses many lines from the film.

And don't forget to give the GWX mod a try if you get SH3.....many thanks again Weasel. :thumbs_up:

cheers

GWX is awesome that is for sure. I sunk a hospital ship the other day, I figured he was heading west which meant he had troops on board. Better they drown then come back to fight another day. Will be interesting to see if I get the chop when I get back into port because that ship was lit up like a Christmas tree. Sure did make torpedoing him easy, only took one.
08-26-2007, 08:43 PM,
Weasel Wrote:
Fubar Wrote:I know many Grogs find Kelly's Heroes to be an anathema but i find it very entertaining.....especially as the newsounds mod for CMBO uses many lines from the film.

cheers

GWX is awesome that is for sure. I sunk a hospital ship the other day, I figured he was heading west which meant he had troops on board. Better they drown then come back to fight another day. Will be interesting to see if I get the chop when I get back into port because that ship was lit up like a Christmas tree. Sure did make torpedoing him easy, only took one.

Oh dear, time for the War Crimes Commission to re-convene :soap:

Alex
brm_3k
08-27-2007, 01:42 AM,
RE: Blitz Questionnaire - Greybeard
What is your name?
Stephen Burton

Well, my wife always refers to me as her ‘hi-tech-redneck’, and so one year I decided it was time to grow a beard.. it came out mostly grey.. so since I like pirate movies and we were watching one, I started speaking ‘pirate’ (Arrghh, Matey) and my wife started laughing and called me her personal pirate ‘Greybeard’.. so it stuck..

SP

SP, of course

Hawks, and Jadpanther

Feb 2003,

Korea

Signing of the Declaration of Independence

Patton

Brazil Nuts, and Hazel Nuts

Great place to meet people from all over the world, and the resulting friendships..
Worst.. I suppose that the people that join, play a few turns and go AWOL

Yes, Some ww2 era weapons

That’s a hard one.. perhaps Yeager

2 events perhaps, Germany starting a war with Russia, and D-Day

Spaceflight – about 1985.. great 4 part series that covered developments on both sides of the atlantic

MBT/WW2

Not Really.. too many games are ‘reactive’.. 1st person shooters, and RTS .. seems just the same thing over and over with different packages.. I like games where you have to think things thru, and out-think your opponent.

I’d say much like the Walrus.. it’s a game.. a place to find friends and have some fun.. if you can’t have fun and are ultimately worried about points and standings.. well, IMHO you’re missing a great opportunity