• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Use of minefields in defense.
08-09-2007, 07:42 AM,
Use of minefields in defense.
The use of minefields is critical in defense as it unseen (unlike barbed wire that can give you a good idea of an enemies defensive layout) but has almost similar effects: you can't move through it quickly.

This gives the defender a great deal of leverage in terms of building a foundation that can be almost impassable when done correctly.

For the price of a T-34, a Soviet can purchase 10 AP minefields and completely rampart a whole flank so that NONE SHALL PASS.

The good thing about the mine is that:

1) the enemy cannot see it like wire.
2) once the enemy is in it, chance of panic will rise if pinned and almost always breaks the unit.
3) you can defend a flank quite competently with no more than a platoon or two.

EX:

[Image: MF1.jpg]

Normally I would use half squads and a +2 command HQ platoon in a defense like this, with a Battalion or company commander to give all the spread out troops command influence.

The other tactic that is exceptionally good is to mine deep woods (if you have them on your map) where you know the infantry may have to traverse through (such as right in front of your flag). Mines make an unpassable barrier where troops set up defending behind (FT's, Pioneers, etc) can knock the crap out of any advancing troops without much harm coming to them from infantry fire, or outside HE.

The nice thing about flank mining, is that if you do a solid enough job, even if your enemy overloads that flank, you have enough defense and time to shift troops over, as the first wave of the attack will usually break on the minefield, your troops defending it targetted and then the second enemy wave.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2007, 07:50 AM,
RE: Use of minefields in defense.
What are the chances that is a screen shot of our game?
08-09-2007, 08:08 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:What are the chances that is a screen shot of our game?

Oh, give me some credit.... lol! You'll see straight up when you FINALLY pick your kit, I set up, send it back, and then you can see it for yourself, that it ain't the same map.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
08-09-2007, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM by McIvan.)
Col T is still umming and ahhing between our helpful suggestions of either 500 LMG teams or fourteen conscript vulksturrm companies and the secret mine-dog battalion.
08-09-2007, 10:55 AM,
McIvan Wrote:Col T is still umming and ahhing between our helpful suggestions of either 500 LMG teams or fourteen conscript vulksturrm companies and the secret mine-dog battalion.

Is that "mine" dog, or "mind" dog battalions?

I for one do not want to be facing pooches with psionic abilities. Rather unfair, don't you think?

Leto
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM,
I suggested 150 veteran snipers but no one seemed to agree that this would completely rule....
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
08-09-2007, 11:47 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
McIvan Wrote:Col T is still umming and ahhing between our helpful suggestions of either 500 LMG teams or fourteen conscript vulksturrm companies and the secret mine-dog battalion.

Is that "mine" dog, or "mind" dog battalions?

I for one do not want to be facing pooches with psionic abilities. Rather unfair, don't you think?

Leto

I think he meant "mined" dog battalions. Do NOT pet the poochies...

But back on topic (seems like you can't hardly post anything anymore without a band of witty banterers showing up to drag your post off topic...), it's also important to defend your mines. I've seen people treat their mines as impassible barriers and not provide enough overwatch. Mines only give you one casualty per squad, and a couple level morale hit. Nice if you follow it up with a bunch of fire, but if you don't, it's really not that big of a hit to take, especially if the mine is in a square with cover.
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM,
I agree completely....often see that mistake. Barbed wire is just the same....if it's not covered by fire, it's a waste of space.
08-09-2007, 01:20 PM,
McIvan Wrote:I agree completely....often see that mistake. Barbed wire is just the same....if it's not covered by fire, it's a waste of space.

Isn't that what I just said in the VERY FIRST POST of this thread???

Are you guys just scanning for the witty banter parts of these threads now and actually dismissing or ignoring the meat and potatoes educational drifts????

LOL!

Cheers!

Leto
08-09-2007, 01:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM by McIvan.)
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
McIvan Wrote:I agree completely....often see that mistake. Barbed wire is just the same....if it's not covered by fire, it's a waste of space.
Isn't that what I just said in the VERY FIRST POST of this thread???
Did you really? Well I never :( I'm afraid I didn't notice....my most humble apologies.