• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fatigue Recovery
07-29-2007, 01:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2007, 01:54 AM by Aaron.)
Fatigue Recovery
Since were covering alot of other changes we would like to be made i have an easy one, fatigue recovery. Now in vanilla its set at 20 and if im not mistaken (correct me if im wrong) thats 20 points recovery in a game turn or 20%? In vanilla game turns are 3 hours and i was in the army and combat and 6 hours is all u need. Ive always felt it was to low and u should be able to recover more fatigue in a game turn, especially if your unit sits for 2-3 turns without moving,being attacked or digging in it should have recovered most if not all of its fatigue if it was not more than 200 in the game. I was looking at making it 40 in my next scenario with 2 hour day turns and 4 night, that would be 120 points in a 6 hour period.

Aaron

I just read the instuctions:) and c that a unit can recover any where from 0 to twice the number in the .pdt which would be 0-40 points a turn and i understand it includes combat fatigue but still feel its low, 40 might be to high but what about 25-30. That would put u at 0-50 or 60 per turn.

Another quick thought is ive had The First Blitzkrieg for awhile but never played it and yesterday a stuck it in and the way they do the aircraft by setting them on interception and such i think they should port over to MC.
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2007, 05:45 PM,
RE: Fatigue Recovery
Recovery in the game represemts more than just how tired you feel. From the manual

Combat Fatigue refers to a much more persistent state that accumulates through combat. Combat Fatigue reduces the fighting ability of the unit until it reaches the point where its will to fight has been lost. As such, Combat Fatigue is not relieved through short periods of rest, but rather takes much longer periods to recover from. In addition, for units involving vehicles, Fatigue also represents effects of wear and attrition with respect to the vehicles. Against, this is an accumulative factor that has a detrimental effect on the fighting ability of the unit. It includes things like tread wear, turret malfunctions, broken sights, and things like this that require parts and repair to restore to good working order.
07-29-2007, 11:56 PM,
From personal exp combat fatigue is overrated unless in combat constantlly for an extended period(24hours).Ive been up as long as 54 hours straight and i dont know of anyone cracking all we wanted was to pull up a rock and take a nap. With 6 hours rest(as in sleep and taking care of your equipment) theres no reason a unit shouldnt be ready to go. And as far as vehicles most in the game r reliable and the ones that arnt have the flag for it. U cant say a Abrams running for 24 hours in operations is going to need alot of time to keep in combat. Its a very reliable platform.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
07-30-2007, 12:49 AM,
Hi Aaron,

I think the point is that it represent combat damage - to a unit itself through the loss of leaders that need replaced, causing some short term "disorganization" in the unit. It can still fight, but at slightly lower effectiveness, as represented by the fatigue penalty, until these new "leaders" of whatever level get more familiar with what they have to do and there men. And for equipment, it isn't the wear on the tanks of moving around and being used, it is the minor damage from non-penetrating rounds that may not disable your Abrams, but the loss of radio antennae, minor track damage that limit speed, damage to the systems from shock, fouling of the weapons, or numerous other things.

Again, it isn't a major loss of effectiveness and the unit can still fight, but the biggest impact of fatigue is the more likely disruption becomes. Individuals may still be 98% effective but with cohesion losses and more numerous equipment issues, there will be more problems.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-30-2007, 03:34 AM,
It attempts to simulate that complex unmeasurable we know as "the friction of war" which applies to all military units. Ooops I forgot ; the 75th Rangers are not effected at all by "friction of war":cool:
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two kinds of people: other artillerymen and targets."
07-30-2007, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 06:18 AM by von Waldenburg.)
Think about those artillery barrages in ww2 or air carpet bombings. If one is able to survive one he'd have enough for the rest of his life with only 5 mins of it. The will to fight again I'm talking about. Think about a granade exploding near you but not killing you. You dont want to go back into war unless your morale (and fanatism) is so high. This is part of the fatigue I would say also.

If you still think that fatigue recovery is low, you can use the optional rule higher fatigue recovery (double recovery base or something).
07-30-2007, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM by Aaron.)
Well i understand all that has been said and it all makes sense. I think ive seen things differently being in a Ranger unit, i know when we trained or deployed with regular troops there moral (how crazy u r :) )is much lower (ie most were there for college money) but guys i was with were crazy, and i mean that, most were not right in the head but ill tell u what when S-it goes down theres nobody else i would want to be with. Even being shot at we had fun with it, use to pick up tracer rounds still burning at arms length around me and throw um at someone.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM,
RE:��Fatigue Recovery
07-31-2007, 07:16 AM,
And also you can turn off night fatigue. I do it sometimes in 3 night turns/day scns (Bulge, Moscow, Rzhev...) cause otherwise fatigue acumulation is too high imo. It also makes redeploying during night turns not make you gain any fatigue, just the fatigue that you dont recover from not being still. And makes the attack cheaper, but also defenses are less vulnerable since no fatigue will be gained from firing defensively during the other side's turn.
07-31-2007, 07:36 AM,
Quote:...And makes the attack cheaper, but also defenses are less vulnerable since no fatigue will be gained from firing defensively during the other side's turn.

Hmm, I think that is actually a good thing. The defender needs all the advantages he can get and it makes sense because the attacker would be the one doing all the moving around.