• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

N44 Campaign (alt) - Do the germans still need help?
07-27-2007, 02:35 PM,
RE: N44 Campaign (alt) - Do the germans still need help?
Right, that is the thing about the McNamara db, it can have vastly different results depending on who you play. There seems to always be a chance to make a bold move, which I think is a good thing.

Bob, in your other game, what is the turn and the VP level there? Maybe the VP levels should remain or only be raised by 1000. I think it wouldn't hurt to raise them a tad, but I do not want to go too far. As we can see, it can go either way.

As you say, Limited Air Recon is indeed a required optional rule for the _Alt scenarios. The air would certainly be too devistating otherwise and I assume that LBouton is using it.
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM,
Carpet Bombing can be effective vs the Germans in the open or in travel mode. But only under the right conditions. In the recent N44 I carpet bombed a big mixed group of German 1/2 tracks and assualt guns in the open killing 30 on them. Bombing PzIV in a field only got me 3 or 4 (not so great), German Infantry in an IMP and marsh I only killed a handful of infantry. So mixed results but they seemed realistic.

Peter777
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM,
Based on the recent N44 Tournament (2 day Bridgehead scenario) I would not make the Germans any tougher on the beaches. VMs changes seem about right. In most cases the Allies did not find it that hard to getting off the beaches but it was slow getting in land, except Omaha of course.

In some cases german bunkers / pillboxs seem to tough compared to histroy.

I would like to see how the Allies have wiped out the Germans as at the end of day 2 I still face many strong german units in front of the British units and around Utah, Omaha is thinly held but the Germans do have Bocage, which turns E Grade Infantry into excellent defenders.

A lack of supplies and fatigue should slow down the Allies, that is what I found in my game.

Peter777
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM,
With all this talk of helping the Germans, we should consider if maybe one or more of the pillboxes on Omaha should start at the lesser vacated status (pillbox instead of PILLBOX), in the historic breakout areas of course.

If anyone has any ideas there (for or against it) then let me know.
07-27-2007, 03:41 PM,
VM how did you find Omaha beach in Anvil? To me it seemed bloody tough, at the end of day 2, 3 bunkers were still held by the germans, but before I would say change it, I would like to run some further tests. My tatics were to get off the beach and drive inland rather than clean up all the bunkers and then drive in land.

I have read a fair bit about the various normandy landings and in most case your changes are close to the mark but Omaha may be a little to tough, further testing is required.

One thing that PZC N44 lacks is the reorganisation time that the Allies took to clean up beaches and then start moving inland, but this is covered by the tougher German defences. I would also image most units landing in Normandy in the inital waves would have already been fatigued form a lack of sleep, travelling in small boat and stress, so they would have arrived some what fatigued.

But over all your new 2 day scenario seems pretty goo to me.

Peter777
07-27-2007, 03:49 PM,
Personally, I did terrible at Omaha but made up for it in other places. I only took two Omaha sector pillboxes -- not enough to get a breakout off the beach. By the end of the day I dug in and tried again on the 7th but did not fare much better. I think with one or two vacated pillbox hexes it would at least give a nudge to the allies but still require them to fight hard to get safely off.
07-27-2007, 03:58 PM,
I was lucky getting off Omaha.

I disrupted one bunker with my naval and pushed it back.

I got lucky with another desparate assualt on an undisrupted German hex one hex away from the first.

PK then made me destroy the bunker in the middle by assualting for 3 turns.

This then gave me 3 hexs in the middle of the beach that I slowly pushed out from.

But if I was not lucky I could have been stuck on Ohama over night.

I nearly had the same experience on Juno beach but I think that was my fault.

Let me know if you want to run a few test games of Omaha.

Cheers

Peter777

07-27-2007, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2007, 04:00 PM by Mike Abberton.)
07-27-2007, 08:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2007, 10:00 PM by Indragnir.)
Volcano Man Wrote:With all this talk of helping the Germans, we should consider if maybe one or more of the pillboxes on Omaha should start at the lesser vacated status (pillbox instead of PILLBOX), in the historic breakout areas of course.

If anyone has any ideas there (for or against it) then let me know.

I've played two times _alt scenario, regarding Omaha, never never could american forces exit Omaha by themselves.
It cost me as allies using Brittish 4th, 8th Arm. Brds and 7th Arm. Div. to rescue them.
As axis my opponent never reached Omaha bunker and pillboxes.

I agree with you, Omaha could be lessened a bit.
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM,
RE:��N44 Campaign (alt) - Do the germans still need help?