• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

zip files
07-26-2007, 10:23 AM,
zip files
Hey Gents,

Can any one provide me with details of how to extract PBM games when you have VISTA and are using winzip? I tried both winrar and winzip and am back to trying winzip. If any one on these forums or at HPS simulations can guide me through this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
(desperate to PBM)

Steve.
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2007, 03:44 PM,
RE: zip files
Hey Steve, boy you are lovin' that Vista. Sounds lotsa fun <choke> :-)

I have XP and when I did a fresh install last time I had a look around for things like new zip programmes. I use "7-zip" which is an open source thingy. Does the trick OK. Though I don't know if it works with Vista but it might be worth a look.
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM,
Open the zip file from your email, (choose open, not "save as")
ok the warning box as long as you trust your opp, (virus scan the files 1st if you're worried about virus)
use the Extract files button to open a new window
in the window at the top is a drop bar
choose the arrow to show your folders,
choose the folder where your game is located.
click OK and it should unzip the game file there.

in the future, that folder should be memorized in the drop box for quick access
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
07-27-2007, 01:54 AM,
07-27-2007, 03:08 AM,
vista likes to put your games files in a COMMON folder unless you've made changes to the admin part of the OS , do a search for them and use that folder as your xtract and zipping folder then
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
07-27-2007, 06:35 AM,
Did you install the games to the default location, or an alternate folder? You should have gone to an alternate one, as noted on the HPS site. I have all my games installed to C:\Games\ then broken down into sub-folders based on time periods. What ever works for you, but don't work out of Program Files anymore.
07-27-2007, 07:20 AM,
Thanks, Rahamy

I renamed it but better make sure it's not in program files.
07-31-2007, 10:11 AM,
07-31-2007, 10:30 AM,
Actually, I was setting up a Vista machine today for a customer and found that the old compressed folders option doesn't appear to be part of the new OS. So yes, in just one more way, they have made it more difficult than XP. Can't say I'll be moving to Vista any time soon...

I'd say get a copy of WinZip...its served me very weel for almost 10 years now...well worth the few bucks it costs. Here's a tutorial for it as well if you get it:

http://www.hist-sdc.com/help/winzip.html