• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE REMATCH: Leto (defender) vs Colonel T. (ass-aulter) -No access for Dave-
07-25-2007, 08:31 AM,
THE REMATCH: Leto (defender) vs Colonel T. (ass-aulter) -No access for Dave-
Whenever Dave gets his act in gear, this will be the mirror of our DAR: To assault a Soviet.

I'll be playing the role of the smelly soviets in this one, and will see if I can play as well of a defense as Dave currently is on in our other DAR.

Although there are still 14 turns in the other game, this game will be pivotal to our ladder battles where Dave currently sits in ELO 2nd place, separated by a huge gap of 60 points from me in 3rd.??If for some miracle of miracles, I can win both convincingly, I may be able to slide neatly into second place and then be in striking distance of the immortal Highzealander: McIvan!

Stay tuned for force kit selections, and perhaps I'll post some pr0n.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2007, 09:05 AM by Valor.)
RE: THE REMATCH: Leto (defender) vs Colonel T. (ass-aulter) -No access for Dave-
[Image: ladderhg5.png]
07-25-2007, 09:31 AM,
RE: THE REMATCH: Leto (defender) vs Colonel T. (ass-aulter) -No access for Dave-
Er...Leto mate, there's no rush but don't forget you owe me a rematch in Fireflies v Tigers sometime in the future.
I'm sure you're looking forward to proving your win in our first match wasn't just a fluke?

[Image: diffring1.png]

07-25-2007, 10:26 AM,
You'll have to wait your cue in the 'mortals' line, while the 'Immortals' do battle in the heavens.

; )

Cheers!

Leto
08-08-2007, 09:25 AM,
Since I cannot go into Dave's new DAR thread (almost did accidentily), can someone please tell him I AM WAITING for him to send me his turn...

Sheesh... how long does it take to pick units??? Especially just to try and beat lil ol me...

Once he buys and sends his turn, I can give you my kit picks and defense strategy.

Cheers!

Leto
08-08-2007, 09:45 AM,
He's doing a round robin on opinions as to what his force picks should be.

So far we've convinced him to spend his points on seven conscript volkssturm bicycle battalions and a 50mm mortar as HE support.
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM,
McIvan Wrote:He's doing a round robin on opinions as to what his force picks should be.

So far we've convinced him to spend his points on seven conscript volkssturm bicycle battalions and a 50mm mortar as HE support.

I take it the Italian rifle squads were not available in this period?

Pity.

; )

Cheers!

Leto
08-09-2007, 08:03 AM,
Okay, so I'll try to help Dave with his picks as well.

Considering what I have purchased (that none of you know yet), the best kit Dave could pick would consist of:
1 reg battalion of Grenadiers (w/sturm troops): 1350 pts
1 reg battalion of Volksgrenadiers (w/SMG): 1050

That leaves 600 points left for either:

Artillery
Another company of german troops
Onboard artillery (mostly mortars, maybe a 150 IG or two)
or armor (which I would forego in this one) / panzershrecks.

There is no way that I could hold out against two full battalions of german troops well supported with artillery. As the cover is good on this map, no need for buying armor, and that would nullify any AT assets I may have purchased.

You can't use tanks in these... IMHO, forest just too dense and they are prey to TH, AT and infantry units. (notwithstanding the last game, where I think I got quite lucky in most respects, and used the hetzer/grille combo to save my bacon against the crappy 76mm AT guns).

It may be a boring plodding game, but with Dave's mad Skilz, he would most certainly beat me.

Or would he???

: )

Cheers!

Leto
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM,
After considerable chiding and sniggling at Dave, I have finally forced him to pick his uber kit of German death and destruction.

My logic was as follows: being that I am a total fruitcake, no amount of contemplation on his part would be useful in augering some kind of helpful analysis that would provide him with insight into my defensive parameters, ploys or preparations.

I, on the other hand know exactly what Dave is going to bring to this party and where he's going to bring it... well, not exactly, but kind-of-ly... make that perhaps-sually.

Being a creature of habit, he will opt for a solid attack pattern, not trying to be overly tricksy like I have been. I expect to see a couple of battalions of infantry out there, as Dave has already bled it several times that the map is too large to cover all the angles.

I also expect to see a few large bore gun carriages, but believe he may opt for STuG 105's or maybe even a brumbar or two.

His attack will be as follows:

[Image: DL1.jpg]

My flags are separated into two distinct groups, and an apparent weakness is the middle. A good commander should exploit this, as there is good cover and the ability to move large amounts of units through this area. Dave will attempt to overwhelm with infantry, using artillery, and mortars to pave the way. He'll keep his mobile howitzers back somewhat so that they do not get nailed by a hidden gun, letting his buttload of infantry do the heavy lifting.

Yes, call me Swami Leto.

This is what Dave will be facing:

ROMANIANS!!! YEEEE WHOOORE!!

Yep, I bought an entire battalion of Romanian Cavalry. They are effectively equivalent to a German rifle squad:
10 men, 44 ammo, 6 rifles, 1 LMG and 2 PPSH with a 40m firepower attack of between 160 and 190.

This Romanian cavalry squad has something that the Germans do not:
60mm mortars. I get eight of them in the mix, as well as 8 very good ZBG heavy MG's.

Each one of the 60mm mortars is capable of taking out two squads each, or one squad and a gun, as they have a 35 ammo load. They are great suppressive fire weapons, but concentrated, they will usually break a squad in two turns of shelling.

But not to be outdone by his previous SMG rantings of the last game, I had to buy a company of SMG troops myself.

I also wanted a bit more mobile of a defense, and after watching Dave's T-34/85 in action last game, I decided to buy an entire platoon of them. They won't be split and will travel as a mobile defense, counterattack wing (hopefully he isn't coming with a platoon of Tigers, as that would put these guys on ice, but I can't see it).

Using the Romanians, I found that for another 10 points over the ZiS 76mm AT gun of the Soviets, one can buy a GERMAN 75mm L/48 PaK, but under the rubric of a Romanian designation. Same gun though. I splurged on 3 of these.

Various other playtime sundries were purchased as well:
1 concrete MG bunker (only a tank gun can take this puppy out... and it's got 250 ammo load... in the right place, it's a lead spitting whale... especially if you stick a GUN on the same hex... tank moves up to take out pillbox bunker, AT gun blows tank away.... insidious, I know....)
1 FT
2 ATR (just in case he brings a few softies)
1 CRACK sniper (I have to steal some strudel... payback is going to be a bitch)
1 TH (frustratingly comes with 2 MC's! Absolutely useless except for scouting now).

With the above, I have:
8 Romanian platoons (3 squads each, 60mm mortar, and ZBG HMG)
3 Soviet SMG platoons (2 Maxims)
3 75mm PaK L/48 AT guns
3 T-34/85's

Okay, it may not seem overly impressive, but I suspect it is a much better kit than Dave had... and I admit, that I am considering the fact that I got to see Dave's defense purchases before mine.

Lastly: I did not pick any fortifications other than the bunker. Why?

Well, my propoganda has already kicked in, and I have started a thread on mines being superior to wire (what Dave uses explicitly in all his defense picks) and have hopefully got him thinking that he's going to run into some.

Honestly, 70 points in mines atm is a bit too rich for my kit, as they are seven points compared to wire's 4 points... which makes wire quite good IMHO... but I do stand on the point that wire often betrays a defense, and it very much did in our last match. I was very aware of Dave's defense capabilities once I saw his wire lay out.

That's all for now... I will give you my set up after Dave takes a few fear ridden steps forward. But I'm absolutely positive that you guys will be quite blown away (or think I'm a complete wingnut) for laying out my defense and planning my strategy as I have.

Cheers!

Leto
08-09-2007, 10:48 AM,
It's Romanians not Rumanians.Lol.
cheers
Send this user an email