• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Soviet heavy SP guns
07-26-2007, 07:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM by McIvan.)
RE: Soviet heavy SP guns
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM,
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM,
Jobu88 Wrote:I don't really care about the physics I just wondered if anybody else had experienced a high number of first round hits at medium-long range when firing with Soviet heavy SPs?

Yes and no...sometimes. Does that help? Big Grin

Good Hunting.

MR
07-26-2007, 02:24 PM,
It so happens that I'm in the middle of doing a stunning Tac Discussion test to be entitled 'Master Blasters', analysing the AP-capabilities of all nations AFV's armed with a 100mm-calibre or larger gun.
Here's a sneak preview -
Best Russian SPG is the SU-100, its gun is better even than the Stalin 2's.
Next best is the ISU-122 which carries the same gun as the Stalin 2.
Then come the ISU-152 and SU-152, both carry a huge gun but its muzz vel is only average.
Next comes the SU-122, no good against medium or better armour because it only fires HE.
Worst is the KV-2,which also only fires HE and its gun is lowish-velocity.

07-26-2007, 03:20 PM,
[Image: su100_8.jpg]
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM by Mad Russian.)
MGK(FGM) Wrote:Why nobody mentioned the best Russian tank killer su100 ?

This thread is mainly about the HE chuckers. Kind of. So the SU-100 wouldn't fit into that category. It's all about high velocity and killing tanks.

Quite an impressive TD though.

It's not quite as rare as people think. There were 1,675 of them produced.

That's more than the number of PzIII's that invaded Russia in 1941 and people don't think the PzIII in 1941 was rare.

There were 1348 Tiger I's made and I see them in scenarios all the time. The Tigers were around from 1942 to the end of the war though and the SU-100 was only available in 1944 and 1945. That makes it less available for the longer time period but more available for the time it was deployed.

So, while the SU-100 wasn't the 13,000 vehicle workhorse of the Red Army they were made in considerable numbers and deserve to be seen more often in battles.

In my opinion the best tank killer in the Red Army is the T-34/85. It's fast, maneuverable, has a gun that will kill anything from at least the flanks and most tanks - including Tigers I's - from the front.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-28-2007, 01:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2007, 01:49 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Okay I just premiered my 'Tank Gunnery' topic in the Tac Forum, it contains SPG's too..
07-28-2007, 02:20 AM,
RE:�� Soviet heavy SP guns
07-28-2007, 05:55 AM,
The original question was about whether sov heavy AFVs gave an artifically high first hit chance - i.e. is there a bug in the game. Certainly, I believe this to be the case after many years of play, just from multiple games where the sovs have hit targets that were very surprising. If I am playing axis I will routinely assume that for the enemy heavy range, the first shot has a 50%+ chance to hit no matter how hard the shot is - and I will seldom challenge them head on as a result. Ambushed and flanking shots from my tanks are the order of the day, even if on paper axis tankers should be hitting first...

Grum
07-28-2007, 06:16 AM,
Would anyone has a picture or whatever of what the gunsights of any of the Tanks/SPG's/Guns would look like? I mean what you would see if you were to peek through the lens/iron sights or whathave you.