• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat on the Russian Front
07-25-2007, 02:30 AM,
RE: Combat on the Russian Front
Stndrtnfhr Wrote:Mad Russian,

When you design scenarios for CMBB, do you give WSS troops a higher fanaticism rating than Heer troops, or do you treat them the same? They were definitely more ideologically motivated and had a higher disdain for their enemy.

Stndrtnfhr Out!

I use a fanaticism rating that warrants their actions in the battle I am modeling. If they were fanatic that day then they get it. If they weren't they don't.

Good Hunting.

MR
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2007, 06:31 AM,
RE:�� Combat on the Russian Front
Mad Russian Wrote:I use a fanaticism rating that warrants their actions in the battle I am modeling. If they were fanatic that day then they get it. If they weren't they don't.

Good Hunting.

MR

No issues with that analogy, sounds good. Thanks.

Stndrtnfhr Out!
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM,
Stndrtnfhr Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:I use a fanaticism rating that warrants their actions in the battle I am modeling. If they were fanatic that day then they get it. If they weren't they don't.

Good Hunting.

MR

No issues with that analogy, sounds good. Thanks.

Stndrtnfhr Out!

I have a bit more time now....

The fanaticism of certain large units like SS or Guards was more operational in nature at times than tactical. For instance. The SS were told to hold in a particular area. The General commanding the Division got fanatic and had his troops fight without giving withdrawl orders.

On the other hand, the tactical fanaticism can be very real. SS troops know that if they surrender they will more than likely be shot. So they fight very hard to keep that from happening.

All of my scenarios are based on actual fights so it's easy for me. As I said I just see how the forces responded on any given day. If you were making a fictional scenario you could use whatever level of commitment you thought you wanted to model. Just about anything is appropriate at a particular point in time and place.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2007, 05:16 AM by Mad Russian.)
I'm going to duplicate a post from another thread here because I think it deserves mention.

The SU-100 was commented on. Someone else commented that it was rare on the Eastern Front. I'm thinking that may not be as much the case as the normal gamer thinks it is.

It's not quite as rare as people think. There were 1,675 of them produced.

That's more than the number of PzIII's that invaded Russia in 1941 and people don't think the PzIII in 1941 was rare.

There were 1348 Tiger I's made and I see them in scenarios all the time. The Tigers were around from 1942 to the end of the war though and the SU-100 was only available in 1944 and 1945. That makes it less available for the longer time period but more available for the time it was deployed.

So, while the SU-100 wasn't the 13,000 vehicle workhorse of the Red Army they were made in considerable numbers and deserve to be seen more often in battles.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-27-2007, 02:25 AM,
RE:��Combat on the Russian Front
Mad Russian Wrote:So, while the SU-100 wasn't the 13,000 vehicle workhorse of the Red Army there were made in considerable numbers and deserve to be seen more often in battles.

Good Hunting.

MR

MR,
With those numbers, it begs the question, why is it not seen more? I do not have access to the game right now, but I wonder if purchase point cost is the issue, or is it the time frame it becomes available?

Stndrtnfhr Out!
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM by Mad Russian.)
Romania was the only Axis Minor country to support the German invasion with it's entire military organization.

Huge oil reserves and a long border with the Soviet Union made Romania a very valuable ally for Hitler. The Romanian oilfields supplied half of Germany's need for oil. When Russia occupied Bessarabia it put Soviet forces only 100 miles from those oilfields.

The Romanian Mountain and Cavalry Divisions were the most consistently useful Allied formations. They achieved several operational successes. Several were in operation from 1941 through early 1945(with Red Army formations). They were normally very experienced and often retained an offensive capability although their weak artillery normally wasn't enough to support the units by themselves.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM,
Stndrtnfhr Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:So, while the SU-100 wasn't the 13,000 vehicle workhorse of the Red Army there were made in considerable numbers and deserve to be seen more often in battles.

Good Hunting.

MR

MR,
With those numbers, it begs the question, why is it not seen more? I do not have access to the game right now, but I wonder if purchase point cost is the issue, or is it the time frame it becomes available?

Stndrtnfhr Out!

When I checked the figures for it with normal rarity they are cheaper than JS-2's. That should mean you see them in later war fights and that they should be able to be chosen with no issue as to rarity. End of the war scenarios should also be having more them involved.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-28-2007, 11:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2007, 12:01 PM by Mad Russian.)
An interesting note on the SU-100 is this quote:

Having an excellent firepower and maneuverable, this tank destroyer was able to penetrate a frontal armor of any German AFV from a quite long range. It's AP shell could penetrate 125 mm vertical armor from 2000 metres, while from distance of 1000 metre it could penetrate most of German AFVs through. In spite of many guessings, SU-100 didn't have any HEAT or sub-caliber ammunition. These ammo were developed after the end of war.

Found on The Russian Battlefield.

So apparently the Soviets only made AP rounds for the SU-100 during the war. CMBB allows the SU-100 to carry AP, HE and Smoke. It appears that during scenario making both the HE and smoke rounds should be left out of the vehicle.

The vehicle was deployed in it's own units.

From December 1944, some Soviet regiments and brigades of the medium self-propelled artillery being rearmed with SU-100's. Each of that regiments consisted of four batteries of 5 vehicles plus one commander's SU-100 or T-34 per battery. A self-artillery brigade consisted of 65 SU-100's.

For those wanting to use them in their own scenarios.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-28-2007, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2007, 12:50 PM by McIvan.)
The quote only says it didn't have any HEAT or sabot. It didn't say it had no HE....
07-28-2007, 01:23 PM,
McIvan Wrote:The quote only says it didn't have any HEAT or sabot. It didn't say it had no HE....

Ok...I can see that. I'll check and see what ammo they show for the gun in 1944 and 1945.

There is a very limited amount of information on the SU-100 though. Much less than you would think.

Good Hunting.

MR