• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Offboard or Onboard Artillery?
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM,
RE: Offboard or Onboard Artillery?
Better late then never.

"Of course when Grumbler sees this post it will be a 25 minute dissertation on how the US/Axis militaries in the years 1945 to present have changed/ rearranged/ went beserk on artillery use and what caliber and rifling each piece had Smile "

To keep it short and simple, it depends.
Just what it depends on is in a previous post done about a year ago, same name and topic.:cool2:
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM,
matxer Wrote:Speaking of counterbattery in SPMBT, I have noticed that it doesn't seem to work at the beginning of the battle, and until turn 10 or so.
Is that a fact, and why ?
How do you use off-board counterbattery efficiently ?

I have yet to see any since 3.0 and was starting to wonder if it had been coded out. 'course I'm not playing as much since 3.0 came out. So of the changes really put me off.

Matxer, the manual that came with the CD has as good a written explanation of the process as there is. It's mostly handled by the program. Only two things you can really do. First is make sure your off-map arty has enough range and second the Experience has to be >70, or at least it used to. Don't know if that has changed. So if your country has a base of 55 for experience, the best you will get after the random draw is 65, so don't even bother with C/B. If you base experience is 70 or better, count on it and buy accordingly.
-Jessica Simpson
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM,
I think Greybeard found the trick: CB happens more often when there is a FO.

So far, I have neglected FO: when he can see an hex, the unit in that hex can also see him and shoot him. But if CB is more effective thanks to him, I'll have to review my FO rating...
07-20-2007, 11:08 PM,
Grumbler Wrote:....Only two things you can really do. First is make sure your off-map arty has enough range and second the Experience has to be >70, or at least it used to. Don't know if that has changed. So if your country has a base of 55 for experience, the best you will get after the random draw is 65, so don't even bother with C/B. If you base experience is 70 or better, count on it and buy accordingly.

So the maximum tolerance on a nations skill level is +/- 10 points?

Yes i could look in the manual but it's installed on another PC ATM. :rolleyes:

cheers
07-20-2007, 11:15 PM,
Yes +- 10 excluding any modifiers for that unit type. If the buy menu has a +5, then that is added in.
I forget which manual has the skinny on arty. It might be the SP3 manual, which has the tables in the back listing all the hard-coded stuff, such as command ratings and counterbattery adjustments. SP3 only goes up to yr2000 so one would assume that it was upgraded in MBT.
-Jessica Simpson
07-21-2007, 01:41 AM,
RE:��Offboard or Onboard Artillery?
07-21-2007, 02:48 AM,
Do I? I thought I was caught up.
It will be later today. I'm about to head down to Tiger High and use their library. It's only open restricted hours now that school is out for summer.
I'm trying to tie down when the expression 'World War Two' was first used.
I cannot find any reference to it in FDR's speeches that are on-line. I know the collected speeches of Churchill are in hard copy at the Library.
As far as I can tell, during WW2, the war was called 'the War' and I have found a few references to the 'War against the Axis'. But none to World War Two. I think it was named WW2 AFTER it was over. I think that is also when WW1 went from the 'War to End Wars' to WW1.
I have to be able to prove it though, and proving a negative is not all that easy.
I'm part of an on-line effort to repackage the War on Terror. We are winning on the battlefield and getting or butts beat in the headlines.
-Jessica Simpson
07-21-2007, 03:08 AM,
Grumbler Wrote:Yes +- 10 excluding any modifiers for that unit type. If the buy menu has a +5, then that is added in.
I forget which manual has the skinny on arty. It might be the SP3 manual, which has the tables in the back listing all the hard-coded stuff, such as command ratings and counterbattery adjustments. SP3 only goes up to yr2000 so one would assume that it was upgraded in MBT.

Thanks Grumbler....and i'll get our turns out tonight, i've been a little busy with job hunting this last week. :rolleyes:

cheers
07-21-2007, 06:53 AM,
WW1 was and is also named 'the Great War', at least in France.
Or perhaps the translation should be 'the Big War' because great has a positive side, hasn't it ?
07-21-2007, 10:12 AM,
What I'm looking for is what the people who fought in the war called it.
I have a theory that most wars are named by historians AFTER the war is over and by the winning side. Anybody know what the Germans called WW2 while it was being fought?
-Jessica Simpson